Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Black powder and the cheap ass (Read 5309 times)
SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Black powder and the cheap ass
Reply #30 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Never heard of anyone using 28G brass before - thought you'd thrown in a typo - good to know that.
My chamber's on the big side from what I read, the .602" round ball rattles in the neck of the fireformed case - another reason I crimp in an attempt to center the ball in the case.
I seat that ball half in and half out.

I fired those 95gr Tallow loads this morning and they rattled my teeth some - so I'll back down a bit.
For some reason I can never really bring myself to shoot soft loads out of any of my old BP guns. I don't particularly like recoil, certainly not in a nitro gun, but I do put up with it in these things.
I doubt there's much happening in the way of high pressure going on - not with the coarse powder anyway.
Those RWS primers I'm using are a soft brass cup and show no deformation at all. I deform them more knocking them out of the case.

Talking about old guns I remember knocking around with a girl who's dad shot an old 12 bore M/L down the range. That was in my early twenties and I remember everyone stood clear of him when he shot that thing as smoke would curl up from the woodwork after the shot.
The barrel on that gun was so thin you could dent it with decent pressure from your thumb - the dent popping out again when you released pressure. Underneath mid way down the barrel it had pinholes where it had pitted all the way through for a six inch section and the woodwork in the barrel channel had chewed out quite deeply.
He eventually got it banned from the range but still used it for the odd bunny.
After he snuffed it his son took the barrel off, wrapped stock and barrel in a sack and turfed it at the old Wingate tip down by Taita.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards