Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Black powder and the cheap ass (Read 5336 times)
Tasbay

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Black powder and the cheap ass
Sep 21st, 2016 at 10:12am
Print Post  
I have been mucking around with Black Powder rifles for over 20yrs now and will admit being a bit frustrated in the beginning with a Flintlock that would only go off when it felt like it. Experiance and getting to know the rifle makes a big differance, tuneing the flint and little things like tapping the side of the lock to make sure the powder is close to the flash hole or nipple are things learned. Every smokepole likes a slightly different load or patch combination.
To the cheap ass bit, I have found making my own cast balls , Powder , patches, even flints all part of the Muzzleloader experiance. The powder took a bit of experimentation to get it right but now thats sorted and at $1.80 a Kilo its well worth the hour in a well ventilated and non expensive shed. Still have all my fingers to. Flints , chips of Argelite will work but you don`t get many shots. Re sharpening a $2 flint from Track of the wolf or such will last for ages.  Percussion caps , I see Gunworks in Canteurbury has them for $40 a tin of 100. I just go to the dollar shop and buy plastic caps for capguns at $1 for 78 and they work every time , being soft plastic they hold onto the nipple just fine and seal it... the girl at he counter does look at you when you buy $30 worth.
Have never bothered working it out but shooting my Blackpowder rifles is probably about 2-4 cents a shot and very satisfing when you knock over a deer or goat with ammo you can say you hand rolled yourself.

IP Logged

gonebush
Donor Member

7mm REM MAG forever

Re: Black powder and the cheap ass
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
What is your recipe for BP? Capgun caps got to try that one Grin

There are Hunters and fishermen and the rest of you SAD Bastards!!

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
capgun caps.......you are a man after my own cheap arsed heart.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2016 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Kiwi ingenuity at its finest!  Cool

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2016 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
The Recipe: Pretty simple really and there are some good vids on youtube for homemade black powder.

1, Stale uren,  yes!! piss in a bottle and leave it in the shed for a few weeks.
2, Charcole : made from Crack willow from the river banks. Use branches 4-6 inch thick so its still fairly young. Cut green then strip the bark and leave to dry, I will cut lengths of willow from the same tree. Cut to kindling thickness and cook in a old coffee tin or similar in the fireplace with the lid on and a nail hole in the top to let the gas out. You can light the gas and when it stops burning the charcole is done. Pulverise to a fine dust.
3 Salt peter / Potassium Nitrate : From a farm fertiliser distrubuter about $56 25kg
4, Sulpher : same supplier $12  2kg

750gm Potassium Nitrate
150gm Charcole
100gm  Sulpher

Salt peter in a pot and cover with Stale uren, Bring to boil and salt peter will disolve. Stir in slowly the other 2 ingrediants powdered and mixed together, stir for about 10 minutes. It wants to be a good poridge mix.
Take it off the heat and let it cool a while.It will solidify. Once its cool enough to handle by hand force it through a kitchen cive with course wire and leave it in a thin layer to dry in the sun.
Until it is dry it probably won`t burn well or at all but once its dry its good to go. Put it in a sealed container away from the kids.
As a precaution do not use steel utensils in the making of this powder.
As this powder is not compressed like the bought stuff you will use about twice as much as a thrown unit. IE: if you use 100gr thrown of 2f in a 50cal, you will probably throw 150 - 200gr by volume not weight of homemade powder.
Bought powder is compressed to about 40 ton and made into pucks that are then broken to get the F grain size. This homemade powder is just corned so is lighter and larger by volume to weight.
With my old eyes on a good day I can shoot 3-4 inch groups at 100mts with a open sighted flintlock and this powder. If you are having a slight delay between the flashpan and the main charge, drop about 3 grains of FFFF down the barrel first. For caplocks just the homebrew and a capgun cap will do the job.
Of coarse the above was just theoretic and above all be safe and use common sense, for christ sake dont smoke while your doing this.
There are no legal issues in making your own black powder in small amounts as long as it is only being used for a lawful purpose such as being used in a muzzleloader by a licenced firearm owner.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2016 at 9:54am by Tasbay »  

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Font

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2016 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Its a good recipe but mate you gotta learn about spell check Cheesy
Your England is bad. Grin

Ive seen that recipe before and its pretty good.

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2016 at 9:05am
Print Post  
This is the most hilarious topic I've read in ages  Grin
I can't believe you boil your piss!   Grin Grin
Next time I'm near the black powder range I'm gonna stay well upwind.
Has anyone told Alan that there's a bomb making class going on on his website?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

jakkos
Forum Senior

There is one stop after
the trigger is pulled

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2016 at 9:24am
Print Post  
I was sent that same recipe by another forum member. It does work, and very cost effective. I am not sure if you drink lots of whiskey rather than water would it have any effect on the volatility of the finished product. Best to drink water and do it safely. Wink

be good...And careful

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2016 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Yep Black powder is pretty nasty stuff. Potassium Nitrate is normally made from hay , horse shit and urien (human or animal). In the old days they used to go around the long drop toilets collecting human waste and fermenting it to make gun powder. Nothing much has changed so you have no idea whats in the tin of Black Powder you are useing .
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2016 at 3:32am by Tasbay »  

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2016 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Maddoghunter wrote on Sep 24th, 2016 at 9:05am:
This is the most hilarious topic I've read in ages  Grin
I can't believe you boil your piss!   Grin Grin
Next time I'm near the black powder range I'm gonna stay well upwind.
Has anyone told Alan that there's a bomb making class going on on his website?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I Don`t see what your problem is You eat it don`t you??

Potassium Nitrate used in Black powder made from Horse shit , hay and piss is the exact same stuff used in Cureing your Bacon , Ham , Salami and small goods. One of the local butchers told me they get the same stuff from the same supplier that I use to make my Black Powder. You may want to look at a diet change... Grin

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2016 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Very entertaining post 'Tasbay' - and educational.
And to answer 'Jakkos', I recall reading many years ago that back in the day, the French preferred urine from a wine drinker for their powder manufacture - it was said to make a difference, but whether red or white - I never discovered.
I've heard of people using the cap gun caps, but have never tried it - and now - I believe I will.
As a word of caution - my first job from school was in a Laboratory and my interests led me the blackpowder route. I never lost any fingers, but I did blow an eyeball right out of my head which put me in shitty humour for a while.
I never did learn any lesson from that, because I still make it - but your wet recipe sounds a bit safer than my dry one - which is mixing small lots of measured ingredients in a plastic ball mill at low speed in my lathe. I switch it on and off at the end of a thirty foot extension lead. The 'shit your pants' part is the fear of static electricity when you unscrew the lid to dump it out - so I get my youngest to do that  Undecided
Another interesting thing with urine, apart from the fact that  mixed with water it was really good for soaking your John Bull's in for breaking - is, it will shrink the hell out of them if you leave it in them for too long.

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2016 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
SF90, Yes the Boiling seems to lessen the danger aspect ( ball mills are just scary) and as the Nitrate is disolved I would think it is more redely taken into the charcole. made some for a mates cannon and that time I just used water not urine , still works.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Oct 5th, 2016 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Cheers Tasbay - I'm an old dog learning new tricks.
I initially just used the mill to grind the charcoal, then I got talking to a guy who made his own fireworks and he said he used his mill to finally mix/incorporate all the ingredients - so that's what I did. I was always nervous doing it, so I only mixed 4 ounces at a time - running it in the mill for half to three quarters of an hour.
Prior to that I mixed it dry in a bowl with a wooden spoon before adding in the water. It would still go bang, but my god - did it leave some shit in the barrel.
I knew about the urine, but I don't remember ever using it - only water.
I wished I'd known about that wet method earlier.
Incidentally - the Black Powder boys won't let you shoot homemade on their range, not where I am anyway - so I jumped the fence to the Deerstalkers who don't seem to look too deep into things.
Another charcoal worth looking at is Hazel - I've got a hedge just along from me and it seems to work about the same as willow.

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #13 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Interesting the Black powder boys won`t let you use homemade powder as I would have thought alot of their ethos was old school do it your self not buy over the counter.Survivalists in the U.S push the Flintlock as being the ultimate survival firearm as you can scrounge / make everything it needs. Thats been part of the problem here where I live , you can`t get black powder local and Christchurch is the nearest so had to find another solution IE: make it yourself, was the same for percussion caps. once you have the recipe and the fact you get about 56lbs of powder for the price of 1lb of bought its in my mind a no brainer.
Pine can also be used for charcole and is used alot in the U.S but as it seems the Europeans introduced Willow pretty well everywhere they imigrated to and I`m sure it wasn`t just to hold up river banks. There is a differance between burn rates of powder made from Crack willow as from river banks and whatever the willow is used for shelter belts. The crack willow burns faster from what I can tell.

IP Logged

gonebush
Donor Member

7mm REM MAG forever

Reply #14 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Oct 5th, 2016 at 12:07am:
the French preferred urine from a wine drinker for their powder manufacture

I will see how a bourbon drinker preforms  Cheesy

There are Hunters and fishermen and the rest of you SAD Bastards!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards