Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Let's see your black powder rifles (Read 7411 times)
SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Let's see your black powder rifles
Reply #30 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Well, maybe a hacksaw, file and chisel man - but thank you FL, that's a nice thing to say.

That's the second one of those I built - the first I gave a different treatment with metal patchbox and carving, but haven't seen that one for a long time and forgotten detail now.
Both have the large Chambers Siler lock (which is what I think you have on your .50 early Lancaster) and flat bottom grooved Rice barrels - think they were called the 'Gunmaker's series'.
Both kits were from Dunlap Woodcrafts in the states because they had the components I wanted - and both were bloody expensive.
I poured the nosecap on the one photo'd in pewter from an old tankard I had and made a fibre optic front sight because I couldn't see the German silver one in the dusk on a deer I had standing in the open ten yards in front of me.
I've still to 'sign and date' that one, and shoot a deer with it ......... maybe one day ?

Twist is 1:66" and it shoots the Lyman minie (paper patched) very well - just looked up my notes and have put 10 shots into 1 3/8" at 50 yards - wiping every third shot.

*Oops - edit that last bit to read ... 8 shots into 1 1/2".

I enjoyed putting that gun together - but incredibly time consuming.

My interest right now is in single shot BP guns and I've got one I built back sometime in the seventies but am a bit reluctant to post it on here - as no one else has.

Probably need a BP Breachloading page, and I expect that would fill up pretty quick - there's some nice stuff out there.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #31 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Jim Chambers makes fine rifle parts and rifles , Rice barrels have a reputation for quality and  accuracy .
A member of this forum has a very nice left hand Chambers English Gentleman's Sporting  rifle that he brought as a kit and got it built up here , http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles05.htm
My .50 Lancaster has the large Siler lock , the .54 Henry has a L&R Manton lock , I use a round ball in all my muzzle loaders as I an very allergic to lead fumes I can't cast bullets so I buy Hornady swaged ones . I sort and batch them by weight , this works very well .
My .54 Henry's hunting load  shoots  75mm high at 50m and to point of aim at 100m using 120gr of FFFG Goex and a .535 round ball patched with pillow ticking and lubed with Mink Oil Tallow , It averages 1400 FPS over the chronograph with that load .
I used to be on a ML forum in the states , and was told by several members that Lancaster rifles didn't have walnut stocks , then one highly respected collector said he had 6 originals with walnut stocks and the discussion stopped . Wink

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #32 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I did look at those English Gentleman's rifles and was tempted, but had developed a relationship with the bloke at Dunlap's - so went there.
All in all, I don't believe you can go wrong with either kit - nor those from TOTW.
I went with maple because of the style of the rifle, though I did consider walnut - and even cherry, but got talked out of it.
The first gun I did, the bloke wanted all the bells and whistles, but I baulked at inlays - wouldn't do them.
It came out pretty nice, but like anything you always think you can do better - hence the second one.
And - I don't know if it is ?

That first one shoots 120gr FFg Goex with the .535" ball - and does it very well. Don't know if the owner has shot anything with it - have lost contact somewhat with him.
Last I heard was he'd taken it to Fiordland, after which he mailed me to ask how to make them go off in the wet.
Suggested a 'cows knee' in oilskin or greased leather, or even a full waterproof cover - don't know if he made one ?
Did make a horn for that one and scrimmed it for him, and a powder measure/pourer out of a hippo tooth I didn't scrim as it was so hard.

If I ever did another one it'd be a schimmel, probably in walnut and it would have a short barrel - pretty much your Henry.
Wouldn't need a patchbox - carry all my stuff (ready loads etc,) in my pockets anyway - or my pack.
I notice that 8lb - feels heavy.

Tell you one to look up - if you have the interest.
A bloke on the other forum, 'Shooting Hunting' documented a very interesting build - a Sharps in 45/70.
It's under - 'Guess what I'm doing today.'
He made the barrel for that as well - remarkably innovative man.

Got pointed to that - thanks MD.

Oh - I shoot 80grs FFg Goex under that minie, 430gr from off the top of my head. Recoil is comfortable, but it does have a higher mid-range than the ball if you're shooting out to 100 yds.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #33 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 8:54pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #34 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 11:25am
Print Post  
For those who are interested the Schimmel or Barn Rifle was a very plain budget M/L rifle usually in a smaller caliber and lacking in expensive brass fittings etc , Kept in the barn for shooting pests and pigs for slaughter . Many are still in use today

https://claysmithguns.com/barn_gun.htm click on this , no longer inexpensive

The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Allen Martin in the States does a nice schimmel too.

And just because I reckon this is one of the best things I've ever done, you are going to see it - whether you want to or not.

The below pic is scrimmed on a sperm whale tooth and is of Thomas Crean, an Irishman who was with Shackleton during his 1914-17 Antarctic Expedition.
I copied that off an Expedition photograph - really liked the image.

Had lost my license due to a cataract and had got totally bored and was scratching (pun) for something to do when I did that.
Wearing three pairs of $2 shop glasses, one over the other, I did it with a sharp scriber using dots and scratches, then rubbed in ink to see what I had - then wiped it off again, the ink staying in the scratches.
Took a week to do - and it gave me a hell of a headache.

Anyway - that's a scrimshaw and if you ever want to tart up a horn or bone handled knife, that's a good way to do it.

And, because I haven't tun out of words yet - Scrimshaw as an art form was originated by the Nantucket/New England whalers during the mid 1750's - a result of them looking for something to do during their leisure hours out on the 'big blue'.

They probably smoked pipes and gossiped like old women as well - but that doesn't seem to be documented.

So, tart up your horn or whatever with scratches and ink and you'll be a 'Scrimshander' - just like me.

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2018 at 7:10pm by SF90 »  

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #36 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Great scrimshaw work ,I recognised the portrait immediately.  I have tried to scrimshander a horn but gave up in disgust .

I have a horn I got from a guy from the Bay of Islands , it had been in his family for as long as any one could remember .
It depicts the Charlotte , from Bristol Rhode Island USA , she was a ship of 193 tons ,.Owned by the D'Wolf family who were involved in many maritime businesses that include the slave trade, privateering,  whaling, plus other business on land .
Captained by John Sabens the Charlotte sailed to Havana and Africa  on 10th August 1804 and returned 17th March 1805, 
If you look at the details you will see snakes , a mermaid , proteas , masonic symbols .
I suspect it came to NZ on a USA whaling ship,with the sailor who carved it,  as Rhode Island was a whaling port  and a lot of ships came here from RI

Horn

Protea

Snake heads and spout

Heart with arrows

Fish and Masonic symbols

T Griffis ( Carver )

The Charlotte :

Mermaid

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #37 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 10:25am
Print Post  
That is an interesting horn - in some ways it's sad to see it leave the original family, but also good that it got to someone who appreciates and knows its history. So much stuff like that gets tossed at the tip - I see it all the time when the 'olds' pass on and the kids, or grand kids clean up after them. We had an open tip out here for many years and you wouldn't believe the stuff people throw away - no understanding nor appreciation.
The Council do it different now - us 'seagulls' were a constant irritation, so they ensured what got biffed - stayed biffed.
Incredibly sad.

I've never seen a vintage horn in the flesh - only photos.

That tooth I did also has a story ...........
Got gifted that by a friend along the road, Brigadier Ian Thorpe who was sent to Fiji at the time of the Sitiveni Rabuka coup in 1987.
Whale teeth have a tradition in Fiji and are regarded as Tabua and can only be passed on as a gift - and very few leave that country.
It likely found its way into Fiji in the possession of a Russian whaler in the 1960's and was exchanged for services/favours - fairly common practice back then.
When I was given it - I was told to do something with it and for many years it sat in my drawer as I had no idea as to what I was going to do - that tooth frightened me.

I had scrimmed a horn many years before, but memory tells me it was a fairly shabby effort - then I came across that photo in an old shipping book a lady had sent me from England - and couldn't get it out of my head.
So one day I took that book into town and got that photo copied and sized so I could transfer data from the photo to the tooth with dividers - then got stuck into it.
Started with the eyes and muffed them three times, having to sand it all back and start again until I got it right.

Was thoroughly startled with the result - I'm not normally that good.

Then it sat for a year before I showed Ian - was crapping my pants he wouldn't like it as I hadn't done a traditional nautical theme - as on your horn.
But he did.

That was sixteen, seventeen years ago I did that.

Have done some more scrimming since then on horn and bone, but nothing like that tooth - very proud of that.

And to continue with stuff that gets biffed - because this still upsets me.
Had another friend along the road die suddenly with a stroke - and did he have some interesting stuff, was always poring through it - and he liked to show it.
He had no kids and the estate got left to his nephews.
I was passing one day and watched the trailers being loaded up with his possessions as they cleared the house and garage - but I didn't know them and didn't linger to chat.

Then I got talking to another neighbour and he told me that the bulk of it had gone to the tip - and that floored me.
So I went back and had a chat to the nephews and suggested that anything they were dumping they leave outside - and I'd flog it.
Was quite hard to do that - had to swallow some considerable embarrassment - I was blatantly bludging.

Next evening I was back and found two trailers loaded - one obviously with rubbish, the other with good stuff.
Amongst the good stuff was an old tin, still full and marked 'Sperm Whale Oil' and a whole bunch of other stuff from that era that was too good to flog.
Going to the other trailer I fished out some stuff including an unopened packet of 'National Sperm' candles - which I took.
Back the next evening I caught the nephews still there ........
"You didn't take much ?"

And I told them what I got.
"Why didn't you take stuff from the other trailer, it's all being dumped, we've got nowhere to store it"

And I was so shocked I had nothing to say.

The next evening it had just about all gone - a few bits and pieces scattered here and there - and a sixty litre drum sitting there marked 'Martha' - and I knew exactly what was in there.
"What's in there," one of them said - "Just dirt by the look of it."

And after what seemed like quite a long time - I told them.

That drum contained the broken up sediment from the hopper at the Martha gold mine at Waihi.
They were cleaned out every so often and the sediment sold to a company in Australia who extracted the gold using mercury as it was so fine. That drum load sold for $200 - and that was in the days when gold was $35/ounce.
Then I helped them load it in their wagon.

Three people knew about that 'Martha' drum, Bob (the bloke who died), myself and another neighbour and it wasn't long after that I bumped into him.
"Wonder if they found Bob's 'Martha' drum.
"Oh yep."
"And, I suppose you told them ?"
"yep."
"f**king idiot."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards