Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Let's see your black powder rifles (Read 20892 times)
Flintlock
Donor Member

Re: Let's see your black powder rifles
Reply #15 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 2:48am
Print Post  
.50 early Lancaster (1770)  rifle 42" swamped barrel 1/56 twist with hand cut round bottom rifling ,walnut stock, iron fittings .

Stock detail

Lock

Made by Earl Wyatt
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2018 at 3:07am by Flintlock »  

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 3:07am
Print Post  
.54 J Henry English type rifle with the barrel cut down to 34"  for use off a horse ( by and  for Trappers and Indians , not me), hand cut round bottom rifling 1/56" twist, correct aperture sight fitted . This is my deer rifle

Lock Detail

Made by Earl Wyatt
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2017 at 3:13am by Flintlock »  

The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 3:15am
Print Post  
.40 cal rifle with 44"  hand cut round bottom rifling swamped 1/48 twist barrel , single trigger Chambers lock . Maple stock , brass fittings . Bunnies - small deer with this ..40 was the 223 of the day.

Lock detail , Honey French flint

Made by Phill Edwards  USA
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2018 at 3:08am by Flintlock »  

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 3:18am
Print Post  
.54 Uberti Hawken 1/66 twist 32" barrel . My only Caplock and oldest owned rifle .

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2017 at 3:04am by Flintlock »  

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #19 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 3:28am
Print Post  
.69" ball or 20 ga shot Chiefs Grade trade gun  smooth bore 42" octagon to round barrel, shoots ball or shot .
This is the type of gun traded to the US natives for furs etc .1680 onwards

Lock

Sideplate

Made by Mike ( Kiwi) Rowe in the USA
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2017 at 3:19am by Flintlock »  

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 3:37am
Print Post  
.50 31" smooth bore Matchlock circa 1480 , the match is swung into the pan by squeezing the trigger , there is no sprung lock as such , that comes later. This gun is surprisingly accurate , the aperture tube helps a lot, once the match hits the pan ignition is instantaneous .

Lock detail , the cover on the pan , small lever, is the only safety , that and throwing away the slow match

Made by Jurgen Krakel USA

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2017 at 3:03am by Flintlock »  

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #21 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 4:21am
Print Post  
These are my shooting essentials
Powder horn and possibles bag or shooting pouch and contents
L-R :
Hemp tow for cleaning , capping tool , screw worm for putting tow on , antler handle awl , above: flash hole pick and screw driver combined , Iron adjustable powder measure , small priming horn with ffff powder ( original) , above flints , Black English and amber French , bark dyed cotton ball pouch and balls, Short starter and patch knife on possibles bag

I forgot the pillow ticking patches and bullet mould
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2017 at 2:54am by Flintlock »  

IP Logged

SF90
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Been on here a lot recently, but this page has grown since I first looked at it.
Those Deerstalker's look a good practical shooter - can see why they're so popular.
And 'Flintlock' - I think I can see why you gave yourself that user name - that's an impressive array you have there - very nice.
I dragged my gun out today and took some photos, then I looked at uploading a couple and got totally lost. Think I'll need some help here - so, one day - perhaps.

IP Logged

jakkos
Forum Senior

There is one stop after
the trigger is pulled

Reply #23 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
same SF90 Wink

be good...And careful

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #24 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I dragged my gun out today and took some photos, then I looked at uploading a couple and got totally lost. Think I'll need some help here - so, one day - perhaps.

If you look at the Board Index , Black bar at the top of the page there is an uploading Images section , which may help

IP Logged

SF90
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 4:30am
Print Post  
Yep, looked at that yesterday - and that's where I got lost.
Today I've got a different problem - those images I downloaded yesterday have gone somewhere - and I don't know where.
My fifteen year old thinks I'm dumb - but he couldn't find them either.
Anyway - have had enough for now so I think I'll bugger off to the garage and do some procrastinating.

IP Logged

Johnd
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #26 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 6:01am
Print Post  
Quote:
Yep, looked at that yesterday - and that's where I got lost.
Today I've got a different problem - those images I downloaded yesterday have gone somewhere - and I don't know where.
My fifteen year old thinks I'm dumb - but he couldn't find them either.
Anyway - have had enough for now so I think I'll bugger off to the garage and do some procrastinating.

I'm technically challenged, but what i have found that works for me is to open the forum page then go to the image hut and upload my pics from my PC, once they have loaded I open the forum on another tab / page ( using google chrome ) I then make the post / reply etc I want, then put in the icon for images ( selected from the bar above the typing portion )
Then i go back to the first tab I opened that has the image hut still up. Highlight the BB line and paste it between the 2 (IMG) (IMG)  symbols. Might be long winded but it works ok for me,

IP Logged

SF90
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 8:21am
Print Post  
I appreciate you guys trying to help. Thing here is I'm okay with a hammer and file, but I'm one of those people shouldn't be allowed to own a computer.
Anyway - by this morning I'd got over the hump and decided to have another go.
Got two reasonable (a bit dark) photos downloaded on the computer - and I know where they are.
So - I opened an account with Photobucket and fired those images off via email. Last I looked, they'd either missed or were taking a while to get there.
Next option was to email those photos to a mate who's got a better grip on these things than me - and see if he can do it - 'cept the bugger's gone off visiting and won't be back for a while.
All that had me wondering whether it was worth it, then I thought - stuff it, those photos are going on here one way or another.
And all that's on top of forgetting my wife's 50th birthday the day before yesterday which gave her an excuse to empty her head of some critical words - things already not being good  because I'd laughed when she'd stood on one of her dreads and ripped it off her head.

IP Logged

SF90
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 6:43am
Print Post  
Ha, ha, ha - my son did it for me ....................

Built from a kit - Lancaster style, 38" barrel; .54 cal; 8lb.
I shoot a paper patched, hollow pointed minie out of this because they load so easy and shoot as well as the RB.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Nice rifle , judging by the quality of the finish I'd say you are more than a hammer and file man . What make is the lock and the barrel .? is it a TOTW kit?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards