Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic all rounder (Read 2009 times)
stevebro

all rounder
Aug 6th, 2016 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Looking for a dog that can do everything, except birds. I see a lot using the heading dog n was wondering if a well breed working Kelpie would have enough bite to argue with a big boar n have enough nose for indicating deer and not be a high strung menace at home? Any guys had a lot of experience with  Kelpies or other breeds? cheers

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: all rounder
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
I like them. Some people hate them though because they can be a bit different to handle. They don't have as much bite as a blue heeler. Some I've seen don't use their nose much while a couple of the best finders I've heard of were kelpies or kelpie x's.
I have a kelpie/border collie x at the moment and he's just starting to calm down (7yo). He's a good finder on pigs but won't bite anything over about 20lb, so if the pig bolts he can't stop it. Hes caught 1 or 2 boars by standing back and not putting any pressure on the pig.
He will indicate deer but I haven't put the time into him and when I get close he often gets excited and stuffs it up.
He's a bright little bugger and learns very quickly, but can be very stubborn, so enforcement is where it's at.

As an all rounder it'd be a good choice.

IP Logged

Jett
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 11:59am
Print Post  
I have had kelpies for years, using them exclusively as working farm dogs only and never as indicator dogs for deer. However I do believe they would do the job. As in all breeds some strains are better than others at certain jobs. I think a strong eyed dog would be best for your job but do some research as I don't really know. Then source that type of kelpie if that's the dog you want. Lots of variation within all breeds mate including kelpies. The other thing to keep in mind I guess is that a properly bred working kelpie is very much bred to work , in the truest sense of the word . Not necessarily the best house dog . Amazing dogs in my opinion . Hope this helps

IP Logged

angelo

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 6:16am
Print Post  
I had kelpies and got a huntaway now very good dogs but if I wanted a dog to do most game I go a catahoula

IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 6:59am
Print Post  
Only issue I see with a do all dog is will you want it to bail deer or point/take you in. Don't see you being able to give it a deer/pig switch.  IMHO I dog for one job, either a pointer or a bailer

Hamish

AIM  
IP Logged

poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2016 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Maybe look at some of the versatile breeds,  gwp,  especially the deutsch drahthaar,  cesky fouseks,  vislas,  weimaraners, pudelpiintwrs,  munsterlanders,  maybe even ridgeback

IP Logged

macky
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
i noticed yr name came up on a catahoula search iv done becouse    i have a litter of purebred  catchoula pups so  im putting word out bitch up comming and the dog was imported form usa  top dog

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
7mm08Roks wrote on Aug 11th, 2016 at 6:59am:
Only issue I see with a do all dog is will you want it to bail deer or point/take you in. Don't see you being able to give it a deer/pig switch.  IMHO I dog for one job, either a pointer or a bailer

Hamish

Mate they dont have to bail to catch pigs, my GSP would point either regardless

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
:What about a lab?

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Indicating deer and finding and catching pigs are two completely different disciplines and you will be in serious danger of ending up with a deer chasing dog or one that wont hunt out to find a pig. It takes a very special dog and an even more special handler to do both. How do you keep a dog in to take you to deer but teach it to go out on fresh pig scent? That is without adding the challenge of catching said pig. There are many good finders out there that are not good stoppers. If you train a soft natured dog to stay in close, you will often take the independence of hunt out of them, which is needed to find and catch pigs by themselves. I had a very good older smithfield  who was a top pig dog and would not chase deer. In his twilight years I shot a few deer in the bush over him when he would get in behind when a deer was close and I would stalk in the direction he was looking. I did this on trips with just him and none of my other pig dogs and ONLY because he was nearly retired and it did not matter. If you must have a pedigree for this and want to try it then the best breed would probably be a good lab dog. They can be very versatile and are good finders while often not being too rash when worked in close. I would make a call on which is the most important to you and stick with that or get and train two dogs.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 4:51am
Print Post  
I have a lab/ridgeback, I taught him to stay by me in the bush. One day we saw a big mob of pigs and I couldn't get him to chase them.
I couldn't believe it, I was giving him that freedom but he would disappear out of sight and then be right back. I personally think he could be a good all round dog but I would never try to pig and deer dog. Have thought about it when out bush, and thought maybe if you had two different guns right from training and only went after that target while you had that gun.

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 8:46am
Print Post  
its not a switch it's a gearbox... most versatile hunting breeds from working stock have it.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

Kane h

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
mates got a gsp x gwp.  that he ended up using as a pig dog for while then retrained or half retrained her she will point maby from hundred meters anything under that I've seen her chase everything fallow red pigs piglets . she will break at the shot and run an grab animal . this( although caused a hole host of other unsteadyness issues) has been handy as at times we've shot a pig she's run over and ended up bailing another pig . or f someone wounds it's handy.but then take her back on doc land after deer range isn't there ..  and if ur close enough in bush and c the deer shell chase it so honestly think your Beter off with one or other . they are just opposite ends of the scale .

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
So she has plenty of natural ability...just missing the breaks and steering wheel perhaps.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Kawhia wrote on Jan 23rd, 2018 at 8:46am:
its not a switch it's a gearbox... most versatile hunting breeds from working stock have it.

I completely understand this post Smiley Smiley Wink, but I have a friend who will need you to explain it a bit more.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards