Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Huntaway as a deer dog (Read 7237 times)
BC
Donor Member

Re: Huntaway as a deer dog
Reply #30 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
trusty222 wrote on Aug 3rd, 2016 at 7:29pm:
Baz wrote on Aug 3rd, 2016 at 10:00am:
Used a huntaway while culling for NZFS--DOC in the Nelson-Gisborne area's.

Jill was trained to bail and bark on goats-pigs and wild cattle. She had a huge bark that could be heard for miles.
When crossing streams and rivers-she led the way and if she swam I knew I was going to get the gonads wet.
In a relatively short time, she learnt to point deer and I trained her with hand signals--when she winded deer she knew not to chase them--she acted like a pointer and walked in behind.
After about 3 years Jill became deaf from the many rifle shots-so luckily the hand signal training became useful.
Jill's long gone--but not forgotten. One of the best hunting dogs I owned and hunted with.
Cheers.

great photo, nice combo Baz, sako and working dog, pretty hard on the kuris hearing alright without the suppressors . Needed dogs with a good strong bail before the luxury of tracking gear.

hot barrels

Yeah. One huntaway I used a lot would walk backwards from in front of me as soon as the rifle came up. In the end she lost interest in hunting and I think it was because of the noise.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #31 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 9:02pm
Print Post  

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #32 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Cheers Guy's-good to see your dog pics--great mates on the hill.
Yep the suppressors-would have saved our hearing, both dog and man.  Smiley

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

Stew

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #33 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
how would a Huntaway Lab x go with correct training?
Can you keep the huntaway quiet or are they to be deeraway!

also what about dogs that come from pig hunting parents? are they trainable easy enough for deer stalking  or preset on bacon?

IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #34 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Stew wrote on Aug 12th, 2016 at 3:38pm:
how would a Huntaway Lab x go with correct training?
Can you keep the huntaway quiet or are they to be deeraway!

also what about dogs that come from pig hunting parents? are they trainable easy enough for deer stalking  or preset on bacon?

Unanswerable questions really. How long is a piece of string. Will a child whose parents are lawyers be a good rugby player?

With the right training any dog will shut up, but some will take more training than others. Pigdog bred pups generally have about 16 different breeds in them. They are not preset at all. Many pigdogs have favourite targets that are not pigs. Coons, rabbits goats and small children are just some of these.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #35 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
well put PC.
bitch in my avatar was a gsp/huntaway and did all a fella could ask of his first real gundog. ducks,bunnies,hares,wallabies and she found me the odd pig too even led us into one in thick pine bush ( funny now I remember it as that was indicating in the way we seeing a lot of guys doing with deer now...never worked on it BUGGER)
yip she had noise but knew when to use it,the whine was pain in arse but we put that down to gsp side.

IP Logged

snowboyd
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #36 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Huntaways can make fantastic deer indicator dogs and great pets for the active family.  You can train them from young not to bark. 

I always run Rio for 2-4km on the drive in for a day hunt.  We will go bush and she will not make a noise (for days at a time).

How I wish I didn't spey this dog who did not make the Sheperds "A team" and came to  me age 2 and was trained as a deer indicator at age 4.

Bush Stalking, Deer Indicating Dog
Red, Sika
308, 3030

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards