Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Huntaway as a deer dog (Read 10790 times)
Kareela
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Huntaway as a deer dog
Jul 27th, 2016 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
G'day from the UK,
I spent 18 months in God's own NZ a few years back and had some great hunts, whilst there. Now forced back to the UK, I'm looking for a good hunting dog breed. A Huntaway would serve two purposes. 1/ as a deer hunting companion and 2/ a constant reminder of the great times I had on S. Island. Is a Huntaway a suitable breed for 1/, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Donor Member

Re: Huntaway as a deer dog
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Can you get hold of a huntaway in the UK?

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Yes he can.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 7:57am
Print Post  
A strong eyed heading dog would probably be better for deer, but not sure if you worked with them in NZ.

IP Logged

Allizdog

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
I second what stug said. A huntaway is a high barking breed. Probably not what you want for hunting deer.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
here in Godzone,guys are doing great things with heading dogs as indicater dogs.
however some of us have hunted with huntaways and crosses for years.
if you can teach a dog to bark you can teach it to shut the heck up too.yeah sure they have tendency to bark,but I had three that were cracker pig dogs great finders and the trail bark sure was handy back in days before tracking gear was the norm. cant say we ever lost pigs from it,infact we got a few that we wouldv;e lost if we hadn't been able to track where they were and cut em off at pass so to speak.
back to deer, if you need dog to track wounded deer,bail it and generally be a good companion well yeah Bud why the hell not.
different people want different things from or dogs.
my hunting Bitch is 1/2 beardie 1/4 lab 1/4 GSP Wink

IP Logged

Kareela
Just Joined

Re: Huntaway as a deer dog?
Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 7:30am
Print Post  
Thanks, Micky. All good advice. Not sure what 'bail it' means. Learnt 'munted' pretty quick when I was there.

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Kareela wrote on Jul 29th, 2016 at 7:30am:
Thanks, Micky. All good advice. Not sure what 'bail it' means. Learnt 'munted' pretty quick when I was there.

Bail - to keep it in one place so it cannot run away. Does not mean they have to hold the animal.

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 8:44am
Print Post  
I would wonder if it was me how good of a hunter way you were getting over there? I could be well wrong though as I'm commenting based on this post alone.

I think the worst thing you can do is get hung up on a type of dog based on fond memories.   Do you want a good dog or a walking barking post card of your OE?

Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

kaweka_killer
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
I've used two huntaway crosses with great success. But they are both crossed 50/50 with heading dogs, all working station bred dogs. They have both been great, super fit and quiet in the bush with an amazing nose on them with both ground and air scenting. They work all day and don't tire on the hill but are not nutty or hard to control. I would lean more towards the heading dog side of things rather than the huntaway side if I was to pick the one breed and heading dogs I find a quieter, smaller and easier to handle.

My current dog Sam, pointing a hind above us on a slip.

Sam with a skinny sika stag she pointed and tracked last spring.

And my other dog Boots (rip) with a sika yearling hind he indicated and found on a river terrace while tramping into camp. With out him I would have walked right passed this animal.

Pack, Dog and Rifle

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Some nice pics KK,

My first and foundation bitch to my line was a border collie x huntaway (handy dog) JILL. She was a great all rounder, indicator on goats, deer, pigs, chamois and finder bailer for goats. Huntaway gave her plenty of noise and a bark that would last all day and night when I needed her to.

I know of plenty of other dogs that had huntaway in there breeding that were good indicating and bailing dogs also.

As MD commented, its all in the training ,Ive taught heading dogs to bail hard out and huntaway x's to sneak and indicate.

for a tribute to JILL http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1387788964/

hot barrels
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2017 at 9:40am by trusty222 »  

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
www.instagram.com/trusty_222/
IP Logged

Kareela
Just Joined

Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2016 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks, guys, for all your words of wisdom and some great photos.

As a 'catch all' response, we can get Huntaways in the UK though Lovett correctly questions how pure they would be - something for me to look into, though I don't aspire to a Kennel Club pedigree. The chances of getting a  Huntaway x Heading are less likely, I'd think, but useful input from you guys nevertheless as regards their respective traits.

Your comments have given food for though in that I have only once not found a kill, our lowland terrain being not as dense as NZ. So I think that I'm concluding that I'd like a dog more as a companion, on hunts as well as everyday, all day, now that extended overseas business trips have dried up, on which a dog could not accompany me, kennels housing being a non starter in my book.

The Huntaway is lovely looking animal, no apparent health issues, good temperament, etc - like all dogs, it just needs good training and to be taught (MD, Trusty222) when to bark and when not to, recognizing that not barking is counter-intuitive.

Good stuff guys. Many thanks.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Mate you can get heading dogs of good working breed piece of cake over there....... the sheep dog trialing scene is alive and well so finding a pup wont be hard (just be aware if someone tries to sell you a piglet called "Babe" they will be pulling your leg). you have the chance to watch parents work too so will know they aren't show stock...eg pampered poncy without  the drive/stock sense that is desirable,and our huntaways had to come from somewhere to begin with....sure we have bred them up to get good traits and big bark but surely someone in UK had them to begin with ???? ans as to purity of breed...that's a bit of a laugh/joke as the N.Z. Huntaway is now a "breed" but its not really....its a job description
the dog barks his fool head off and hunts the sheep away, knowing how much or little to bark and from what angle to apply pressure is what makes a good dog great. over the years Ive seen huntaways in all shapes n sizes
eg neighbours bitch Whin was about 12" tall and not much longer
Mate was coloured like a German Shepherd
Rogue was black n tan,as was Lou but different shade of tan ,more cream like
seen blue healers work great as a huntaway,mainly on cattle but will do sheep as well.
my old hunting mate had two bitches that looked like litter mates, one was his main huntaway and the other was a ridgeback/lab pig dog Grin Grin Grin Grin
hope that makes sense to you...its a job description more than a breed as such so you look for line of dogs that do the job well..........

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
It's a breed....it's our breed.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Kawhia wrote on Jul 31st, 2016 at 3:34pm:
It's a breed....it's our breed.

I guess in 5-10 years time we will see fluffy coated "N.Z. Huntaways"  in the show ring and they wont have a plurry clue what to do with sheep or cattle....Iv'e seen it lately with border collies...beautiful dogs without a ounce of stock savvi  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards