Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic GWP Whining (Read 3652 times)
woodal

GWP Whining
Jul 18th, 2016 at 2:29am
Print Post  
Gidday,

have a 3 1/2 year old GWP. has seen her fair share of deer and we have come to a point where we are finding them very easily and tracking them... its just the last 60 odd yards that she decides to whine really loudly & her behaviour is very erratic. this lets the deer know we are there and often see the deer running off in the bush.
I still run a long line on her and correct her every time she whines. which by the end of the day I have rope burns on my hands  Sad

I had a session with Paul Michaels and he reassured me I was using the long line correctly...

will this whining and erratic behaviour when extremely close stop with age or is there something else people recommend I do.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Re: GWP Whining
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 5:33am
Print Post  
Does she whine at home?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

woodal

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 5:35am
Print Post  
sometimes. if she is playing with a tennis ball or she is frustrated

IP Logged

wapiti man

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 2:40am
Print Post  
I have a WHP a bit younger.

I will follow this thread with interest.
Mine whines in kennel each mornings before I let him out. (excited anticipation of a walk I assume, it's the regular routine each day) As soon as it hears movement in house it starts.
Sometimes on the hill when I've seen a deer and are sitting watching it or before I get a chance to have a shot, he whines and moving/bouncing around, pull on the lead he's on, annoying the hell out of me. Need to give mutt a thump to settle him down and still hasn't learn't not to yet. (excited and has read my body language ?? Maybe knows something is up) This situation is usually on the tops/bush edge with deer at 1-300m.

Like people they are all different, I think a have a dog prone to whining. Has a reasonably strong hunt drive.
I'm thinking maybe I haven't been firm enough earlier on or dog thinks he's leading the hunt.

Opinions welcome

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 2:21am
Print Post  
Mine whines at home. Doesn't bark though. Boredom I think, they need to have at least an activity, if you can't get them out for a walk. Even just 10 minutes of finding the deer skin or retrieving a ball fixes it. Or simply me going outside and doing something in the shed and her watching and being with me.

She knows what "shut up" means, and she will go to her kennel at that command. Maybe that's preferable, because me going to her  (as above) is just giving her what she wants. She whines-I attend. Probably a mix of both approaches is best.

I know that my wife belting the top of the motels with a piece of black hose pipe soon taught my sheep dogs to shut up. When they saw her coming you could hear the thumps as they all hit the back of their kennels.  Smiley

Bark collars teach them to whine too. Barkers will soon learn that a low whine doesn't set it off, so resort to that.

Mine never makes any noise in the field. I wonder if its because I taught her a "steady" command? As she moved into a deer or something when she was young I would calm her with strokes along her side while calmly whispering s t e a d y to her (with her on the long lead). The same if she got excited at home. I would hold her still and do the same thing. Its never too late to try that.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

woodal

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Cheers BC

I do the whole steady thing under my breathe as we are creeping in on a deer. due to the fact she knows what's going to happen she is so excited it doesn't really make a difference. I will persist with this though as it may help

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2016 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Find a deer farmer who will allow you to go sit with her close to the deer, in that situation she won't pick up on your vibes and you have all the time in the world to calm her down.
Does she do it when you hunt birds ?

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

lazfire
Donor Member

If you see a deer, shoot
it.

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 8:54am
Print Post  
My family has a GWP that only whines when it's been at the kennel's. So I guess they can be very clingy dogs, but when out for deer never seen this - instead the dog has a bad habbit of chasing the deer. Also he whines before I'm gonna take him for a bush walk - the whining I've seen seems to be a theme of impatience. I wonder what Clark Reid's professional advice would be on this one.

Kind regards,
Lawrence

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 9:15am
Print Post  
lazfire wrote on Aug 10th, 2016 at 8:54am:
instead the dog has a bad habbit of chasing the deer.

Can't blame a breed for that 😂😂😂

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

lazfire
Donor Member

If you see a deer, shoot
it.

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Im blaming the deer for running away.

I think the breed is full of energy though. We've been working hard to stop the chasing.

Kind regards,
Lawrence

IP Logged

woodal

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Kawhia wrote on Jul 25th, 2016 at 9:00pm:
Find a deer farmer who will allow you to go sit with her close to the deer, in that situation she won't pick up on your vibes and you have all the time in the world to calm her down.
Does she do it when you hunt birds ?

She dose it allot. ducks, deer, pigs, tennis balls, needing to go to the toilet, hungry I think she is just a very vocal dog.

IP Logged

anchovy
Forum Senior

Just one small fish

Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Some of the owners are worst. Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards