Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fleshing possum skin (Read 2346 times)
PossumTrappingWGTN
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Fleshing possum skin
Jun 30th, 2016 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Trying to tan my first possum skin, just can't work out how much fleshing needs to be done, the possum skin had dark spots on it, does this need to be all pulled off, ive been going at it for about an hour and aren't getting anywhere if thats the case.

Pics attached

Does all this dark stuff need to come off?

Does the entire skin need to be like this?

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Re: Fleshing possum skin
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Dark spots ,probably windows. [Where fur is regrowing]  In the second photo the fat showing would need to be removed. Try skinning from the head down next time ,you get less membrane and fat.

IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
What Bon said. Put your finger on a black spot and turn the skin over, and you will find that fur is very short.

I used to make a tool out of an old shearing comb for fleshing. PM me if you want to know how to do it. But the best thing is to take off a clean skin.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

beepete
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 12:04am
Print Post  
I have posted a few videos on YouTube about possuming. This one is on preparing skins for tanning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_5QUHoi-IY

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards