Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Poll
Poll closed Question: Competition Voting for the best Roar Story. Youll find them in the Hunting Reports. Only members, and you can vote for more than one story.
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

High Country Boys "ballot trip into the landsborough river"    
  24 (17.6%)
Stugs "Back to Basics"    
  27 (19.9%)
Mike B and "A Trophy Fallow"    
  11 (8.1%)
RuahineRowans "Cutting Teeth: First Sika Roar"    
  28 (20.6%)
RuahineRowans "Easter weekend Ruahine roar trip with dad. "    
  18 (13.2%)
meathunter72 "My Roar"    
  8 (5.9%)
Stretch and "Longwinded yarn"    
  3 (2.2%)
footsore "Roar Hunt"    
  8 (5.9%)
Mad_Fisho s roar story.    
  9 (6.6%)

Total votes: 136
« Last Modified by: headcase on: Aug 24th, 2016 at 10:02am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) A no Roar Story 2016 Roar Competition. (Read 14713 times)
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

A no Roar Story 2016 Roar Competition.
Jun 8th, 2016 at 5:37am
Print Post  
No rules to speak of as yet. No photo required if you cant post one. Must be believable though.  Grin or email me a pic and I can insert it.

Some good prizes too as yet been donated and finalized.

We already have this from X-POACHER-YEAH RYT (who is 92 this year, unbelievable. )
2x $100 petrol vouchers for initial prizes, plus 3x Bahco supersharp blades for the 3 worst/ hardluck entries

Nik Maxwell donates a one year sub to New Zealand Guns and Hunting

The Heart of Hunting  donated by Alan
heartofhunting.jpg

TJ is offering a stock and blueing job.

A pair of Yukon Point Roof Prism Binoculars 8x42 from HC
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2016 at 2:24pm by Alan »  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: A no Roar Story 2016 Roar Competition.
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2016 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Ill organise some prizes tomorrow....
A

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2016 at 8:38am
Print Post  

Some good prizes to as yet be donated and finalized.

We already have this from X-POACHER-YEAH RYT (who is 92 this year, unbelievable. )
2x $100 petrol vouchers for initial prizes, plus 3x Bahco supersharp blades for the 3 worst/ hardluck entries

Didn't your mum tell you? "Don't believe everything that you read on the 'net"  Wink Grin

C'mon you hunters, punters, and others... start posting.  Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2016 at 8:47am
Print Post  
After last year I won't be posting in here.  But I have got some roar footage that I need to edit and post.  Good on you X poacher.  You are a good bastard.

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

High country boy

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Thought I'd get the ball rolling. Here's my recount of my recent roar ballot trip into the landsborough river.
Enjoy!

After me and my mates got our firearms license we decided that we should have a crack at the roar ballot. After sending in all our applications we got the lucky letter in the mail saying we were successful in getting McLennan creek in the lower Landsborough valley. The next six months were comprised of excitement, constant scouting of the block and squeezing any information out of photos and google earth that we could.

A month prior to our balloted week me and my dad had a bit of a scout into our block to look at sign, check the track though the notorious struts bluff and find a suitable campsite. This went realitively well as we managed to find all three. This scout only added to the excitement.

The night before we went in one of my mates pulled out because of rugby commitments so we were down to a three man team but we still got into it. Setting off from the truck was a surreal feeling as six months of planning had come together. We battled hard through struts bluff with our twenty kilo packs on. If you have not been over it imagine a sheep track that climbs up about one hundred meters then brings you down a steep and greasy face with nothing to hold on to which in places there was twenty meter drops straight into the landborough. The climb is rather frustrating as it takes about one hour hindered with giant packs and only gains you about 400 meters.

We trudged our way up the remaining 5 km of river flats in a rather uneventful tramp to our campsite at the end of the Harper flat airstrip. We got straight into work and set up camp and then set off on a very quiet evening bush stalk. We retired back to the camp for a back country and some cards to end the first day.

Day two
We dawned not particularly early but none the less we set off up a creek system opposite camp in hopes of reaching the tops to find a chamois or a roaring stag on the way. After traveling well up the creek and noticing things were starting to get a bit gorgey we made the executive descision to cut up through the bush to the leading ridge before we hit a water fall.

As none of us had hunted west of the divide we were in for a bit of a shock as we trudged our way up that face. We found the bush was thick and steep and that it is a lot further to the tops than it looks. After numerous checks of the gps to see how far we had gone and to make sure we were on the right path we finally made it to the tops at about 1pm. Hopes were immediately risen as there were chamois prints as fresh as this morning all around were we sat down. After about an hour of fruitless glassing lunch and photos of the unreal scenery we decided we better hit the track so we get back before it gets too dark.

On the way down we found the first real deer sign for the day. With a bit of roaring we couldn't find any owners of the sign and made our way down a large slip back to camp for another back country and some cards to finish the day.

Day three
We woke again not particularly early but hopes were high as based on some information where we were headed today was meant to be better for hunting. Our target to reach today was to make it to a tarn nestled in amongst the bush. We set off and were faced immediately with the task of crossing the Landsborough. Fortunately for us we had probably pulled a ballot for the best four days of weather that the coast had ever experienced so the water level was low and made the crossing of the river very easy.

After chucking back our dry boots on we climbed up into the bush audit came to our attention that this side of the valley was some what much more 'Deery'. Not that we would not what 'Deery' bush looks like because we don't usually venture far from the tussock for deer.

We stalked on quietly on high alert for the first 45min until the bush got a bit more nasty and had us slowed in pace and heightened in frustration quite rapidly. After sidling the face for quite a while we had the idea to climb up to the next terrace as soon as it was physically possible to get up as over the cliff. We found a spot that was about 30m high but had plent of trees and roots for the three of us to clamber up. When we made it to the top we quite relived and when we looked down we did question why in the hell we had done that.

Once we gathered our wits and checked the gps we decided to follow the nice terrace that we were on. After merely five meters I spotted a fairly well used game trial with a set of fresh prints on them. I exclaimed to the other " well if anybody knows a good route through this bloody bush it'll be the deer" so in that we started off. We may have been a bit out of a hunting mindset and more into a mind set of reaching our destination so we weren't as alert as we should have been. So after a small about of walking I heard some snapping of twigs. The three of us stopped dead in out tracks. The gun was readied as we crouched Down and strained our eyes to where the sound was coming for. The unmistakable smell of deer wafted into our noses. And we looked amongst each other excited how the tables had turned very quickly. Small moans and roar were let out along with a couple of hind and fawn calls thrown into the mix but we got no replies.  We crept along hearing twigs snap occasionally but we never caught a glimpse of that deer. But none the less with our lack of bush stalking skills we were still ecstatic the deer had even let us get that close. Which was a real highlight for our trip.

We stayed on high alert for the next couple of hundred meters but this diminished quickly as the bush reminded us who was boss and made the going difficult. At about 2:30pm without reaching the tarn three dejected hunters sat down and decided we better call it in and head back as the with the pace of progress we were making we weren't going to get back in time. So we decided to head off back down the hill To the river. We returned to camp to be attacked by the previously non-existent sandflies and settled into a one back country. (Which by now they were starting to lose there novelty) Over the game of cards that evening we talked about how we were disappointed in the fact that we had not heard a single roar.( Although we had drawn a fourth period ballot so we weren't expecting to hear much anyway) from this we decided that we would be better to pack up tomorrow morning a day early and take a lazy walk out. What had really taken us back was the fact that from a map or looking from the bottom the face looks nice and smooth and like realitively easy going. But underneath there is a jungle of thick bush. Moss growing over roots, giant rocks and bluffs, big holes and sharp ridges to name a few. This really had slowed our progress for the day and it wasn't something we were expecting.

Day 4
Another magic day greeted us as we crawled out of our tent and started to pack it all up. We again began the dreadfully boring slog down the river flats to the base of struts bluff where we were going to have a break to mentally prepare ourselves for it. On reaching the base we noticed that the river was down bloody low and we would have a good crack at crossing it on foot meaning we could skip the bluff. After crossing the river in two places and scampering up the bank to the truck we were delighted to have not had to walk up struts bluff saving us about 40mins.

Although nothing had been shot nore seen we were still very much satisfied with our trip. Having seen so much new country and trying something different was great. And getting close to that deer in the bush was a real highlight as it was our first attempt at bush hunting.

I would just quickly like to say thanks to Oscar and Clegg from on here who helped me out by giving me a bit of information on the block before we went in. Your information was extremely valuable and was very much appreciated by the three of us!

Base camp for our trip

The view from our glassing spot on our first days hunting

Myself with Mt. Hooker in the background

My mates crossing the landborough on our hunt on day two

A view from our glassing spot on our first day hunt with the landborough and Clarke river convergence in the background

The sun setting on our first evening in the valley

A photo whilst having lunch in the bush

Looking over to the Clarke mound from our glassing spot on the first day Hunt

Cheers High Country Boy
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2016 at 3:25am by High country boy »  

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Nice one indeed  Smiley Its trophy country in there, deer or no deer

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

BAZZA

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Looks like you has a great trip.

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Back to Basics
I have always been one to follow the latest trends. I bought my first rifle back in the 1980’s, a sporterised Swedish mauser in 6.5x55. I only managed to shoot one pig and lots of goats with it before I sold it and bought a Remington 700 in 30/06. A number of deer fell to the ‘06 and there was nothing wrong with it. It had blued steel and a walnut stock and never let me down. But like all young men I wanted bigger and better, synthetic stocks and stainless steel were the latest fashion accessories and I wanted them.

Eventually I bought another Remington, still in 30/06 but this one had a slim stainless steel barrel and synthetic stock. I still have it, but not much of it is left. It has a new barrel and is on its third stock, this one is carbon fibre. No need to get up close and see the whites of their eyes, deer out to 600 yards are as good as in the bag. Laser range finders, high powered scopes and ballistic apps on smart phones mean a shot this far away is a sure thing.

I’m now in my early 40’s and time for a mid-life crisis. I could get a mistress or convertible but instead I decided to look back, not forward, for once.
I shot my first deer in July 1987. It was on a Waikato NZDA organised hunt to Waihaha in Pureora. I was 16 and the ink on my firearms licence was only just dry. We walked in on a Friday night and I carried my father’s .303 jungle carbine. I had never fired it before but had been given the drill about how it worked. No telescopic sights adorned this beast, only aperture sights, the always up battle sight with the large aperture for the gloom of the jungle and the flip up aperture for the long shots.

The next morning I filled up the 10 shot mag with 20 year old CAC 180gr bullets, look out deer! I attached myself to Phil and his GSP Jacques. Phil had helped my friend shoot his first deer earlier in the year, so I figured Phil was the man to help me. He gave me some advice on how to hunt with my rifle safely, bolt pushed forward and safety on holding the bolt in place.

Amazingly, 6 hours later I had shot my first deer! Coming over a rise I had seen a yearling standing broadside on in the open bush, taking off the safety and closing the bolt I pointed the rifle in the general direction of the deer and yanked the trigger. Not surprisingly I missed! Luckily the deer only moved a step or two and quartered away from me. Taking a bit more time with the second shot I put the blade of the front sight behind the front leg and squeezed the trigger. This time the shot connected and the deer ran off.

Stopping where the deer had stood I asked Phil if we should look for blood, but Jacques was on the deer’s trail and within 40 metres he found it. I was hooked! I never hunted with Phil again and it took me 4 years to get my next deer.

There is something about blued steel, walnut and classic rifle design that captures your imagination. Hopefully by returning to some of the features of my first hunt I would recapture some of the exhilaration and excitement of 30 years ago.

Mauser, the name means a lot to firearms enthusiasts. To some Paul Mauser’s original design hasn’t been improved on. I don’t know if I buy in to that, but the name and especially Mauser Oberndorf mean big game hunting. I managed to track down a Mauser Oberndorf Type B in 9.3x62. This rifle was made in 1924 and had spent most of its time in Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe. The blueing is worn and the stock has marks all over it. Carrying this rifle you know you are holding history in your hands. It has shot most of the African game, probably buffalo and maybe elephant. One day I will take it back to Africa and reacquaint it with kudu, impala, wildebeest and hopefully a bushbuck.

The rifle is designed perfectly for open sights; it has a lot more drop at the heel compared to a modern rifle. Yours eyes naturally look right down the barrel and line up the sights. The wide V of the rear sight giving a wide field of view, perfect for elephant at 10 yards. The fore-end is slim and fits snugly in your hand. The sling swivel is on the barrel so that it does not contact your hand under recoil and so the rifle sits lower on the shoulder when being carried. This is not the sort of rifle that you shoot lying prone, off a bipod. At only 7.5 pounds, no recoil pad and firing a 286 grain projectile it certainly gets your attention when you pull the trigger.
The ammunition that came with the rifle was factory Norma 286gr soft point. This ammo doesn’t break any speed records, a leisurely 2200 fps, but a 286gr projectile at this velocity doesn’t take prisoners. Norma obviously prescribed to the momentum theory rather than explosive expansion. But then what would you want on a raking shot at a departing buffalo?

I’ve managed to replicate this load using ADI 2208 and 286gr prvi partisan projectiles. It is possible to get the 286gr going quite a bit faster using BLC2, but it shoots too high with the open sights.

I am going to have to dig out the old bush stalking skills and get personal with the animals again. I am sure they will show the whites of their eyes when they see the size of the hole down the barrel.

My first trip out with the 9.3 was to Kaikoura, not really bush stalking but I can’t shoot anything with it if I leave it in the gun cabinet. One billy goat paused and looked at us at 70 odd yards. A quick rest over the pack on a rock and a single shot through the shoulder had him tumbling down towards us. Not quite a cape buffalo, but I was on the board with the 9.3.

The next trip was 7 days in the Kaimanawas after sika. My bush stalking skills were put to the test, but no sika were sighted. One unfortunate possum fell to a 286gr handload.

I didn’t get the opportunity to go out much over the roar, one day trip got us close to some deer, but I didn’t get a look at them.
Then I had an overnight trip to an area I normally take my magnum , as shots are usually across gullies at 300yds. But I figured with the right opportunity and sticking close to the bush edge I might get a shot around 100yds.

The first night I saw 4 deer, 2stags and 2 hinds, but they were over a kilometre away so I just watched them. The next morning my plans to hunt the bush edge were scuppered due to a tail wind. I changed plans and headed out onto a spot that let me see down into several basins. My binoculars quickly found 2 stags about 700yds away feeding out in the open, trying to put on condition after the roar. I quickly moved about 100 yds down the hill towards them and stopped to check they were still there. I picked up one in the thick scrub heading back in to the bush and couldn’t see the other one.

I carried on glassing to see if anything else was out and quickly picked a third stag on the other side of the gully and only 300 yds away. If I could get down into the gully without being seen I might be able to close the gap. Staying crouched I hoped if he saw me he wouldn’t be too alarmed. But after 50 yds he saw me and quickly moved off. I followed him, hoping he might stop just over the ridge. Half way across the face I looked back down where the first two stags had been and saw a deer standing on the ridge. Putting the glasses on it I saw it was a hind, and then noticed one of the stags feeding in amongst the scrub.

I snuck back to the gully, trying not to roll too many rocks. I had lost sight of the stag but hadn’t seen him move off so I carried on. Part way down I took off my gaiters as they made a lot of noise if rubbed through a bush. Eventually I was down close to the stag, but the wind was switching and I wasn’t holding my breath on seeing him. I finally got to the ridge without seeing him, perhaps I should have brought my scoped Brno 7x57.

On the ridge I sat down and got the glasses out again, amazingly there was another stag in the next gully. He was the same height as me but about 250yds away. Keeping low I snuck through the scrub towards him. I had a place in mind where I could shoot from and was hoping he kept feeding. He looked up once and I froze, but soon he was feeding again. I carried on sneaking along and was about 5 yds from a small stump I could use as a rest when my pack scrapped against a bush. The stag immediately looked in my direction, bugger! I was crouched down partially obscured behind some bushes so figured if I waited long enough he would keep feeding. Where he was standing I could see his shoulder, neck and head. He kept staring trying to make out what I was.

Bugger it I‘m close enough. Sitting down I shuffled sideways and rested my elbows on knees and sighted on his shoulder. Front sight, front sight, front sight. Keeping the sight on the centre of his shoulder I squeezed off the shot. As the rifle recoiled I lost sight of the stag, but heard the satisfying slap of the bullet hitting the stag. Catching sight of the stag I saw him cart wheeling down through the scrub. I let out a loud woohoo! It had taken a little while, but I finally had shot a deer with my 9.3x62.

I made my way across to him and found he was a small 8 pointer, he was a bit skinny from the roar but should make some good sausages. I had subconsciously gone back to basics so much that I had left my phone with it's camera back at camp so couldn't get any photos of the stag, but the memory is burned in to my brain.
Putting the rifle back in the gun cabinet I look at my open sighted .404 jeffery, now I need to shoot a deer with that one.

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Hunting anywhere and everywhere

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Seeing as i bought up there being no roar comp this year id better enter one.

Heres a link a write up about the best weekend on my 2016 roar, finally getting a good Fallow on the deck

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1464705473/0

Cheers all

Mike

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 1:22am
Print Post  
Thanks guys..happy we got a good response.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 7:15am
Print Post  
Wicked report chaps. Great photos hcb. Who shoots a possum with a 286 grain bullet stug? Good on you for looking back.

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Top reports, cheers for sharing. Top work on the prizes and such too  Cool

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 3:52am
Print Post  
Are we allowed to put more than 1 trip in?

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 5:38am
Print Post  
My oath, makes up for the lazy or work-constrained hunters that never went out for a shot.  Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 7:10am
Print Post  
RuahineRowan wrote on Jun 11th, 2016 at 3:52am:
Are we allowed to put more than 1 trip in?

Sure  Smiley

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #15 - Jun 21st, 2016 at 6:40am
Print Post  
Hi guys, here's a couple roar stories one red,one sika.

Sika roar
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1466490549

Red roar
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?action=print&num=1459413578 Couldn't find original link.

Cheers. Some generous prizes  Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #16 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Someones got to win them. Thanks for posting.

IP Logged

TJ
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #17 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Jul 7th, 2016 at 9:50am:
Someones got to win them. Thanks for posting.

Whens the shut off date HC ?

IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 3:44am
Print Post  
as stated before i will chuck in a Mercator pouch (no knife sorry but can do a gd deal)

Hamish

AIM  
IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #19 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Got my entry in the reports section. Chur.
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1467969013
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2016 at 9:18am by meathunter72 »  

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

Stretch
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 1:21am
Print Post  
If this is still on... if its finished feel free to delete

I've posted this one a while back, but I'd like to enter it if thats alright.

*longwinded yarn

It all started at Otago uni, some 6-7 years ago. I was a bewildered 18 year old dragging his bags in to the hall of residence, when I bumped into a short stocky guy in the doorway. "Do you need a hand with your bags man?" I gratefully accepted his help and we biffed my gear into my room. "I'm Reuben by the way" he introduced himself quickly "I'll show you round!"

I ended up getting along pretty well with him, and he expressed an interest in hunting from the get go once he found out I was a keen hunter. Being from Auckland, he hadn't had that opportunity to get out there before. Time and circumstance got in the way of hunting, until after uni. I moved to Hawkes Bay, and it just so happened Reuben was there working.

So not much time was wasted and after Reuben got himself a bit of gear we started hitting the hills! Many fruitless trips were had, mostly after sika in the Kawekas. Every trip Reuben improved, getting fitter and more bush savvy, often alerting me to things I wouldn't have noticed, but I could tell he was itching for his first deer after so many trips without success.  I was seeing the deer, but Reuben wasn't so it was time to change tactics.

We locked in a week off work for the tail end of April and got straight into the Ruahines, picking up another mate LT from the airport on the way. LT had never even hoisted a pack before but I knew he would hack the pace.  A bit of easy river walking got us to the first area we wanted to look at. The fire was still smouldering on arrival, and the hut log showed a guy shooting a couple of stags recently. The evening came, misty and still, and a quick walk up a side creek produced nothing. We parked up in the hut and I stayed up most of the night trying to scope out roaring stags, but with only three roars heard until a bit after midnight I struggled to pinpoint them.

The morning dawned on day two, and it was decided a morning tops hunt could be fruitful. A slog up onto a prominent peak not far from the hut produced one stag miles away so he was left and it was back down to the hut and up to the next area worth investigating. A leisurely stroll up river took us to the next stop, and into some promising looking gully systems. LT's knees were playing up so he decided to stay while Reuben and I reccy'd up river to suss out the most likely gully systems to hunt the next day.  Large amounts of recent sign had us set on a ridge system that flattened out into multiple small plateaus for Wednesday's hunting.

The team moved like clockwork on Wednesday morning getting up at 4:45 and walking for an hour in the dark upriver to the foot of our chosen hunting area. Crown fern was in great abundance here, and it was slow noisy progress through the big open rimu with that underneath. After painstaking stalking, it was time to give the heads a rest. Bush stalking with three people, when the stags aren't roaring, is tiring on the mind. A quick refuel had us raring to go again and it was onwards and upwards onto the biggest plateau on the ridge.

The bush here screamed deer, nice grassy patches underneath pepperwood and red beech and I gave Reuben a pep talk. Sign was thickening at a rapid rate and I had a feeling something wasn't far away.  I heard the faintest roar and replied to it when Reuben put his hand up, stopping us. He lined up on something I couldn't see, then put the rifle down. I took a step to my left and spied a stag in the pepperwood not thirty metres away, standing side on with ears rotating, trying to find the intruder. I grabbed Reuben by the shoulders and moved him in front of me, and he instantly spotted it. "Shoulder shot aye?" "Yup".
The peace was broken with the boom of the 7mm08, and the stag went down without a twitch. First deer down!

LT and Reuben with the stag

Success!

After the obligatory yahoo and photo session for the man’s first deer , a young 4 pointer , it was time to show him and LT a different side of this hunting business! Gutting and butchering.  We got every bit of meat off that stag that we could carry, threw the hindquarters on Reuben’s shoulders  and started the 600m climb to the tops to drop the hindquarters at a pick up point for our walk out. He did well, carrying a 40 plus kilo set up the steepest part of the ridge to the top.

The mission down to the hut was a slow one,  and it was decided that LT would have the rifle for the walk down.  Halfway down, a very clear roar shook the air. I looked across into the head of a very large slip and spied a stag and his hind in the open, with the stag looking to be a chunky, big bodied animal. He began roaring intermittently from his possie on the slip. We ummed and ahhed about walking over to him but he was too far away with the amount of light remaining.  LT was a bit gutted but at least he got to spy that one. That’s hunting.

Heart for tea, beauty

The next day consisted of leaving the hut for the tops aiming to fly camp somewhere overlooking some nice country. However, the boys were fairly buggered and after reaching the tops the day had disappeared, so it was off to the last hut for our last night. The last hill before the hut was a killer with our meat laden packs but we got there.  That night was eventful, with a young family staying in the hut which was awesome to see, as well as another hunter. We made plans with the other hunter to hunt different areas in the morning and when the morning dawned the only deer spotted was where the other guy was hunting. Not a bad stag either.
So it was a quick mission down to the road end and out to the Tiko pub for a lamb burger. Beauty.

We walked over 30 kms that trip and after so many trips without getting Reuben any action it was a real buzz to get him on the board. It capped off an awesome 5 days in the hills for us all. LT couldn’t get enough of it as well, and we decided that we would do an annual trip from now on.

*Reuben got the head bleached out and its come up beautifully too. Any prizes that come my way, if they do, will go to him as he's not a member on here....yet! Grin

Hot barrels and tight lines,

Stretch.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #21 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Ok thanks for that story stretch and everyone else who found this mini comp. and entered something.

The comp will run until Wednesday the 10th August and then we will have a lucky dip to see whos getting which prize. Theres plenty on offer so should be a good we haul for those that posted..

Theres still time to enter something over the next few days..

IP Logged

footsore
Forum Senior

Hunting - Cultural Immersion
in the Wilderness

Reply #22 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 7:40am
Print Post  
Here's my roar story for 2016. Mods you may decide that it doesn't meet the criteria for the comp and if so that's fine.
Happy hunting all.
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1454649833

IP Logged

Mad_Fisho
Donor Member

Reply #23 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Hay guys, this is a report I posted during the roar... Gotta be in to win aye so here it is again!

A plan was hatching for the start of our roar, Chad and I both had over 2 weeks off. We'd decided the first mission was going to involve a decent walk in somewhere to get away from the majority of hunters.
Ruahines was selected, from there I chose the Pohangina Valley, for no particular reason other than I had to pick somewhere. Neither of us had been there before and it would be only our second time in the ruahines.

Wednesday morning came round and we set off bright and early from the Naki, reaching the access point by about 11.30, only to see 3 other vehicles which immediately had us off guard but was expected. A quick yarn to the farmer who's a real good bugger, then on go the packs along with our game face. The sign at the fence reads 5 hours to the hut... "too easy"!!   Roll Eyes

Off we set, across the farmland looking ahead at the hills which we'll call home for the rest of the week. An hour in and we're greeted by another sign which states '5 hours to the hut'   Sad Well lets hope this is the last 5 hour sign we come across!

Soon after we run into a day hunter on his way out as he was roaring a stag in, brilliant thats one less hunting party at the hut.

A gruelling 5 hours later we're stopped in our tracks by the deafening echo of a boom stick letting rip in the direction we're heading, obviously not far from the hut, a second roar of the cannon followed by 2 hinds bolting past us below the track, spooked by the shots, then a third shot sung out through the valley. Crikey, someone is either having a field day or missed 3 shots.

An hour later we're finally at the hut, much to our relief just before dark. It appears there is only one person already at the hut which is great. After dark we're greeted at the hut by our new mate Adam (SCHMIDTa on here) returning with his stag, great to confirm there's animals in here! After yarning til late into the night, getting some insider knowledge and info of the area, we were off to sleep. Adam headed out first thing in the morning, while Chad and I had a lazy morning, recovering from the walk in.

We set off from the hut that morning and followed a ridge line together to scope out some of the surrounding area, came across a few really good wallows and some great trails left from them. Spotted a stag across the valley and caught him on film before he ducked for cover. The wind was horrific so it wasn't the best day for hearing the stags roar but we still managed to hear half a dozen.
After lunch back at the hut we set out in different directions, Chad headed back along the track where we seen the 2 hinds on the walk in and headed towards the tops. On the way up he could hear the faint groans of a stag, he quietly stalked in then as he got close, chose to freeze on all 4's watching upwards. Soon after a hind stepped into sight, followed by the groaning stag. Watching anxiously for several minutes without the stag presenting itself well enough for a shot, the wind was behind him which seemed like it was game over for sure but somehow neither of the 2 picked up on it. Then he rolled onto his GPS causing the radio to beep, now its game over for sure!!
Well these 2 must really be pre occupied because they still weren't alerted to him less than 10m away.
Finally after what felt like an eternity, the stag stepped into the firing line and the rest was history with a well placed neck shot and he dropped on the spot. Success!!
The meat was taken back to the meat safe at the hut, while the head was left next to the track to collect on our way out.... But thats another story   Roll Eyes

My evening was quite uneventful, the wind was playing havoc on my plans but I took the time to find some greats spots and a few more good wallows.

The next morning was pissing down, since Chad had an animal on the ground he stayed back at the hut while I went out to battle the elements... This didn't last long, I decided I would be more productive at the hut waiting for the weather to clear. After lunch the skies were clear again and I set off on a big mission, spooking one hind and attempting to close in on a couple of stags but it didn't work out. I followed the river a couple of km's back up to the hut.

The plan was now to head out the next morning, a day earlier than planned but we had an animal on the ground and it was going to be saturday in the middle of the roar so we expected a few more occupants would be arriving...

Sat morning we were all packed up, having our breakfast when we heard a roar very close to the hut, we went out and replied but he didn't respond. Back to our breakfast and he started up again. Once again though we couldn't get him worked up so we carried on getting ready, split the meat between our packs, cleaned the hut up, stocked up the firewood supply and set sail for the ute.

An hour away from the hut I was sure we had passed Chads head so he checked his GPS and sure enough it was a few hundred metres back behind us. While he shot back to grab it, I was giving an update on the camera when a stag started roaring just above me. He didn't pay attention to my reply so I didn't pursue it until he started up again. This time he sounded more worked up and closer... Brilliant, this could get exciting!

Once chad returned with his head it was decided I'll shoot up the hill to chase this stag while he skinned his head. I started sneaking up the hill, remaining quiet in the hope he would just let me know where he was. This wasn't the case so once I had gained some altitude I let out a roar, no response, I took 3 or 4 steps and 2 hinds bolted which must have been watching me... Bugger now I've blown it....   Angry
They had bolted to my left, so I sidled to my right away from them where I believed the stag was. Soon after I let out another roar and this time he was responding, each time a little closer   Cheesy
I sat down behind some big tree roots and trunk to remain out of sight and continued to bring him in. After a couple of minutes he appeared approx 15m above me in a small open area, he began thrashing the grass with his antlers as he groaned and roared. I decided not to shoot as I didn't have the greatest shot on him and I really enjoyed watching him worked up.
I didn't want to risk roaring again with him so close but he wasn't coming down and I wanted to make things exciting so i let out some short roars and he was fired up, after a couple of replies he came charging down!
Stepping down right in front of me about 5m away, broadside, about to turn onto the game trail right towards me. I placed a shot in his neck and he tumbled on the spot.
To say I was stoked would be an under statement! The whole experience of roaring him in so close was awesome and great fuel for an adrenalin rush. The excitement of watching him up close and holding off on the shot was second to none  Cheesy

He was no monster, just a nice even 6 pointer, but he was my first head and only my second deer so I was over the moon!

I called Chad on the radio and he came up, we took as much meat as we could carry and re arranged the packs for our walk to the ute which suddenly become a lot harder!
It took us a further 5.5 hours to get out, totalling 6.5 hours with 40kg packs so we were delighted to see the ute just before dark! We spotted a couple more hinds on the way out, one which stood and watched us for awhile but we certainly weren't pulling the trigger with the packs already full to the brim.

Overall it was the highlight of both our hunting careers to date, the area was amazing, with a good mix of bush, slips, clearings, river flats and animals!!

This was the first ever roar trip for either of us so we were certainly pleased with our efforts and the outcome!

Here is a video I've put together of the trip. It doesn't cover anything I haven't already dribbled on about in this write up but never the less, enjoy   Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXtmLWDn5Ms

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #24 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Cool Cool Cool

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #25 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Awesome story MF!. Nice skills getting onto all those animals in a new area right in the heart of Doc land let alone being your first roar  Smiley we must be in the golden years of hunting, hopefully hunting is like this for awhile yet. Good Ruahine roar this year.

IP Logged

Mad_Fisho
Donor Member

Reply #26 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Cheers Rowan! Yea mate it's a nice place in there, must of passed 15 roaring stags in the valley on the walk in which was a treat for our first roar experience! I've only been in the Ruahines twice, but I'll be back there much more from now on  Cool

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Hi guys, thanks for the response Not a lot but class act contributions..

The voting is open for your favorite,  its a no category vote to keep things simple. The prizes will be drawn  from a hat and everyone will recieve at least one prize.  Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #28 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
All really great stories here. Its going to be a tough choice.. Good luck Guys.

The poll closes on Monday the 12th September. 

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
The poll closing after 24 hour and showing the results is a right royal cockup software problem and im highly pissed.

It was set to run 20 days before closing. Im going to have to delete the whole thing and satart again as it was looking like an exciting race to the finish.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #30 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Its neck and neck in the voting, and a good response, so put your vote in now.. The winner will end up with more than one prize so well worth it. Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #31 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Right looks like we are back in business after a bit of a hiccup. Technical problems in the bACK ROOM.  Cheesy

Looks like its still open for voting so anyone reading this cast a vote.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #32 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 8:09am
Print Post  
The poll will be closed Sunday evening.  There are three persons right at the top within 3 points of each other and there have been a lot of votes cast, so now is the time to vote.  Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #33 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Gentlemen, the polls has now closed and the top 4 places went to

RuahineRowans "Cutting Teeth: First Sika Roar"      28 (20.6%)

Stugs "Back to Basics"      27 (19.9%)

High Country Boys "ballot trip into the Landsborough River"      24 (17.6%)

RuahineRowans "Easter weekend Ruahine roar trip with dad. "      18 (13.2%)

There was a really good voting response, and Id like to congratulate every person who entered. Every story was very very good. Thanks for taking the time for writing and posting. Much appreciated...

Ill contact every one of you in due course about prizes.  Smiley

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #34 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 9:58am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Sep 26th, 2016 at 9:26am:
Gentlemen, the polls has now closed and the top 4 places went to

RuahineRowans "Cutting Teeth: First Sika Roar"      28 (20.6%)

Stugs "Back to Basics"      27 (19.9%)

High Country Boys "ballot trip into the Landsborough River"      24 (17.6%)

RuahineRowans "Easter weekend Ruahine roar trip with dad. "      18 (13.2%)

There was a really good voting response, and Id like to congratulate every person who entered. Every story was very very good. Thanks for taking the time for writing and posting. Much appreciated...

Ill contact every one of you in due course about prizes.  Smiley

Well done everyone, a worthy winner amongst an excellent crop of stories. It might have taken some prompting but the standard seemed even higher this year!

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 10:39am
Print Post  
The Prizes are all spot prizes and the draw was made by my wife in an absolutely fair and unbiased manner.

Every story won a prize. The winners of the poll get a prize and the glory, the rest get a prize.. and a huge thanks for participating.  Smiley

IMO the standard was really high, every story submitted being a grand entry in its own right, so thanks very much for those entries, every one of them.  Cool

The list is in no particular order other than the number allotted to each prize before names were drawn out of a hat.

Prize 1 High Country Boy,$100 voucher x-poacher-yeah-ryt
Prize 2 Stug $100 voucher,  from xpoacher
Prize 3 Mike B one year sub NZHunting, from Nik Maxwell
Prize 4 Ruahine Rowan, 1 Bahco Knife, from xpoacher
Prize 5 Madfisho I Bahco Knife, from xpoacher
Prize 6 Meathunter I Bahco Knife, from xpoacher
Prize 7 Stretch, Heart of Hunting Book, from Alan
Prize 8 Meathunter72, a Stock an bluing job from TJ
Prize 9 Ruihine Rowan story 2, Yukon Point Roof Prism binos
Prize 10 Footsore Rusa New Zealand Little Sambar CD

If the prize winners would all pm me a postal address I will see the prizes find there way to you. Meathunter 72 you could contact TJ directly and arrange to get a gun to him. 

A word of thanks to the very generous blokes who contributed prizes. Its the same people as last year, wonderful to have you guys on board.  Smiley

(Apologies to 7mm08Roks who also offered a prize which I somehow missed. Hes been a great supporter of the comps over the years. We will save that one for another comp.)

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #36 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Awesome!. Good to see everyone getting wicked prizes. Thanks to everyone for setting up the competition and putting forth the prizes  Smiley

IP Logged

High country boy

Reply #37 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Cheers guy very much appreciated. Stoked to get a prize. Thanks head case for organizing the comp and thanks to X-poacher-yeah-ryt the prize is much appreciated

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #38 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks to all who donated prizes and voted and the other contestants.

To give something back I will donate a carbon fibre stock for next years competition.

IP Logged

footsore
Forum Senior

Hunting - Cultural Immersion
in the Wilderness

Reply #39 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Wow speaking as one of the "also rans" I'm stoked to get anything.
Cheers to all the generous donators for the prizes, especially for my new Rusa DVD. And thanks to headcase for organising it Cool
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2016 at 6:31am by footsore »  

IP Logged

Mad_Fisho
Donor Member

Reply #40 - Oct 3rd, 2016 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks a lot to all who organised, donated prizes and voted. Congrats to Ruahine Rowan! Looking forward to my next report, featuring my new knife!  Wink

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #41 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Cheers Mad Fisho. likewise, hopefully this labour weekend!. I voted for you by the way.

9 entries this year and I bet there will be 50 or more next year with that stug stock up for grabs  Grin

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #42 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Still need postal address from

Prize 3 Mike B

Prize 8 Meathunter72, I presume you got in touch with TJ yourself?

IP Logged

TJ
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #43 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Oct 7th, 2016 at 4:58pm:
Still need postal address from

Prize 3 Mike B

Prize 8 Meathunter72, I presume you got in touch with TJ yourself?

Not yet

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #44 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Just saw this.
Super stoked to get this prize.  Cool Woo hoo!!
Have just pmd TJ. I have a 22 that will be a perfect candidate.

Bigt hanks to all the people that contributed to all the prizes.  Smiley Smiley Cool Cool

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Hunting anywhere and everywhere

Reply #45 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Shit just saw this will pm ya now - Thanks so much Nik! And cheers for organising this guys - good motivation to actually write something now and again.

Cheers!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards