Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Poll
Poll closed Question: Competition Voting for the best Roar Story. Youll find them in the Hunting Reports. Only members, and you can vote for more than one story.
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

High Country Boys "ballot trip into the landsborough river"    
  24 (17.6%)
Stugs "Back to Basics"    
  27 (19.9%)
Mike B and "A Trophy Fallow"    
  11 (8.1%)
RuahineRowans "Cutting Teeth: First Sika Roar"    
  28 (20.6%)
RuahineRowans "Easter weekend Ruahine roar trip with dad. "    
  18 (13.2%)
meathunter72 "My Roar"    
  8 (5.9%)
Stretch and "Longwinded yarn"    
  3 (2.2%)
footsore "Roar Hunt"    
  8 (5.9%)
Mad_Fisho s roar story.    
  9 (6.6%)

Total votes: 136
« Last Modified by: headcase on: Aug 24th, 2016 at 10:02am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) A no Roar Story 2016 Roar Competition. (Read 14417 times)
RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: A no Roar Story 2016 Roar Competition.
Reply #15 - Jun 21st, 2016 at 6:40am
Print Post  
Hi guys, here's a couple roar stories one red,one sika.

Sika roar
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1466490549

Red roar
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?action=print&num=1459413578 Couldn't find original link.

Cheers. Some generous prizes  Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #16 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Someones got to win them. Thanks for posting.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

TJ
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #17 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Jul 7th, 2016 at 9:50am:
Someones got to win them. Thanks for posting.

Whens the shut off date HC ?

IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 3:44am
Print Post  
as stated before i will chuck in a Mercator pouch (no knife sorry but can do a gd deal)

Hamish

AIM  
IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #19 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Got my entry in the reports section. Chur.
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1467969013
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2016 at 9:18am by meathunter72 »  

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

Stretch
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 1:21am
Print Post  
If this is still on... if its finished feel free to delete

I've posted this one a while back, but I'd like to enter it if thats alright.

*longwinded yarn

It all started at Otago uni, some 6-7 years ago. I was a bewildered 18 year old dragging his bags in to the hall of residence, when I bumped into a short stocky guy in the doorway. "Do you need a hand with your bags man?" I gratefully accepted his help and we biffed my gear into my room. "I'm Reuben by the way" he introduced himself quickly "I'll show you round!"

I ended up getting along pretty well with him, and he expressed an interest in hunting from the get go once he found out I was a keen hunter. Being from Auckland, he hadn't had that opportunity to get out there before. Time and circumstance got in the way of hunting, until after uni. I moved to Hawkes Bay, and it just so happened Reuben was there working.

So not much time was wasted and after Reuben got himself a bit of gear we started hitting the hills! Many fruitless trips were had, mostly after sika in the Kawekas. Every trip Reuben improved, getting fitter and more bush savvy, often alerting me to things I wouldn't have noticed, but I could tell he was itching for his first deer after so many trips without success.  I was seeing the deer, but Reuben wasn't so it was time to change tactics.

We locked in a week off work for the tail end of April and got straight into the Ruahines, picking up another mate LT from the airport on the way. LT had never even hoisted a pack before but I knew he would hack the pace.  A bit of easy river walking got us to the first area we wanted to look at. The fire was still smouldering on arrival, and the hut log showed a guy shooting a couple of stags recently. The evening came, misty and still, and a quick walk up a side creek produced nothing. We parked up in the hut and I stayed up most of the night trying to scope out roaring stags, but with only three roars heard until a bit after midnight I struggled to pinpoint them.

The morning dawned on day two, and it was decided a morning tops hunt could be fruitful. A slog up onto a prominent peak not far from the hut produced one stag miles away so he was left and it was back down to the hut and up to the next area worth investigating. A leisurely stroll up river took us to the next stop, and into some promising looking gully systems. LT's knees were playing up so he decided to stay while Reuben and I reccy'd up river to suss out the most likely gully systems to hunt the next day.  Large amounts of recent sign had us set on a ridge system that flattened out into multiple small plateaus for Wednesday's hunting.

The team moved like clockwork on Wednesday morning getting up at 4:45 and walking for an hour in the dark upriver to the foot of our chosen hunting area. Crown fern was in great abundance here, and it was slow noisy progress through the big open rimu with that underneath. After painstaking stalking, it was time to give the heads a rest. Bush stalking with three people, when the stags aren't roaring, is tiring on the mind. A quick refuel had us raring to go again and it was onwards and upwards onto the biggest plateau on the ridge.

The bush here screamed deer, nice grassy patches underneath pepperwood and red beech and I gave Reuben a pep talk. Sign was thickening at a rapid rate and I had a feeling something wasn't far away.  I heard the faintest roar and replied to it when Reuben put his hand up, stopping us. He lined up on something I couldn't see, then put the rifle down. I took a step to my left and spied a stag in the pepperwood not thirty metres away, standing side on with ears rotating, trying to find the intruder. I grabbed Reuben by the shoulders and moved him in front of me, and he instantly spotted it. "Shoulder shot aye?" "Yup".
The peace was broken with the boom of the 7mm08, and the stag went down without a twitch. First deer down!

LT and Reuben with the stag

Success!

After the obligatory yahoo and photo session for the man’s first deer , a young 4 pointer , it was time to show him and LT a different side of this hunting business! Gutting and butchering.  We got every bit of meat off that stag that we could carry, threw the hindquarters on Reuben’s shoulders  and started the 600m climb to the tops to drop the hindquarters at a pick up point for our walk out. He did well, carrying a 40 plus kilo set up the steepest part of the ridge to the top.

The mission down to the hut was a slow one,  and it was decided that LT would have the rifle for the walk down.  Halfway down, a very clear roar shook the air. I looked across into the head of a very large slip and spied a stag and his hind in the open, with the stag looking to be a chunky, big bodied animal. He began roaring intermittently from his possie on the slip. We ummed and ahhed about walking over to him but he was too far away with the amount of light remaining.  LT was a bit gutted but at least he got to spy that one. That’s hunting.

Heart for tea, beauty

The next day consisted of leaving the hut for the tops aiming to fly camp somewhere overlooking some nice country. However, the boys were fairly buggered and after reaching the tops the day had disappeared, so it was off to the last hut for our last night. The last hill before the hut was a killer with our meat laden packs but we got there.  That night was eventful, with a young family staying in the hut which was awesome to see, as well as another hunter. We made plans with the other hunter to hunt different areas in the morning and when the morning dawned the only deer spotted was where the other guy was hunting. Not a bad stag either.
So it was a quick mission down to the road end and out to the Tiko pub for a lamb burger. Beauty.

We walked over 30 kms that trip and after so many trips without getting Reuben any action it was a real buzz to get him on the board. It capped off an awesome 5 days in the hills for us all. LT couldn’t get enough of it as well, and we decided that we would do an annual trip from now on.

*Reuben got the head bleached out and its come up beautifully too. Any prizes that come my way, if they do, will go to him as he's not a member on here....yet! Grin

Hot barrels and tight lines,

Stretch.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #21 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Ok thanks for that story stretch and everyone else who found this mini comp. and entered something.

The comp will run until Wednesday the 10th August and then we will have a lucky dip to see whos getting which prize. Theres plenty on offer so should be a good we haul for those that posted..

Theres still time to enter something over the next few days..

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

footsore
Forum Senior

Hunting - Cultural Immersion
in the Wilderness

Reply #22 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 7:40am
Print Post  
Here's my roar story for 2016. Mods you may decide that it doesn't meet the criteria for the comp and if so that's fine.
Happy hunting all.
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1454649833

IP Logged

Mad_Fisho
Donor Member

Reply #23 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Hay guys, this is a report I posted during the roar... Gotta be in to win aye so here it is again!

A plan was hatching for the start of our roar, Chad and I both had over 2 weeks off. We'd decided the first mission was going to involve a decent walk in somewhere to get away from the majority of hunters.
Ruahines was selected, from there I chose the Pohangina Valley, for no particular reason other than I had to pick somewhere. Neither of us had been there before and it would be only our second time in the ruahines.

Wednesday morning came round and we set off bright and early from the Naki, reaching the access point by about 11.30, only to see 3 other vehicles which immediately had us off guard but was expected. A quick yarn to the farmer who's a real good bugger, then on go the packs along with our game face. The sign at the fence reads 5 hours to the hut... "too easy"!!   Roll Eyes

Off we set, across the farmland looking ahead at the hills which we'll call home for the rest of the week. An hour in and we're greeted by another sign which states '5 hours to the hut'   Sad Well lets hope this is the last 5 hour sign we come across!

Soon after we run into a day hunter on his way out as he was roaring a stag in, brilliant thats one less hunting party at the hut.

A gruelling 5 hours later we're stopped in our tracks by the deafening echo of a boom stick letting rip in the direction we're heading, obviously not far from the hut, a second roar of the cannon followed by 2 hinds bolting past us below the track, spooked by the shots, then a third shot sung out through the valley. Crikey, someone is either having a field day or missed 3 shots.

An hour later we're finally at the hut, much to our relief just before dark. It appears there is only one person already at the hut which is great. After dark we're greeted at the hut by our new mate Adam (SCHMIDTa on here) returning with his stag, great to confirm there's animals in here! After yarning til late into the night, getting some insider knowledge and info of the area, we were off to sleep. Adam headed out first thing in the morning, while Chad and I had a lazy morning, recovering from the walk in.

We set off from the hut that morning and followed a ridge line together to scope out some of the surrounding area, came across a few really good wallows and some great trails left from them. Spotted a stag across the valley and caught him on film before he ducked for cover. The wind was horrific so it wasn't the best day for hearing the stags roar but we still managed to hear half a dozen.
After lunch back at the hut we set out in different directions, Chad headed back along the track where we seen the 2 hinds on the walk in and headed towards the tops. On the way up he could hear the faint groans of a stag, he quietly stalked in then as he got close, chose to freeze on all 4's watching upwards. Soon after a hind stepped into sight, followed by the groaning stag. Watching anxiously for several minutes without the stag presenting itself well enough for a shot, the wind was behind him which seemed like it was game over for sure but somehow neither of the 2 picked up on it. Then he rolled onto his GPS causing the radio to beep, now its game over for sure!!
Well these 2 must really be pre occupied because they still weren't alerted to him less than 10m away.
Finally after what felt like an eternity, the stag stepped into the firing line and the rest was history with a well placed neck shot and he dropped on the spot. Success!!
The meat was taken back to the meat safe at the hut, while the head was left next to the track to collect on our way out.... But thats another story   Roll Eyes

My evening was quite uneventful, the wind was playing havoc on my plans but I took the time to find some greats spots and a few more good wallows.

The next morning was pissing down, since Chad had an animal on the ground he stayed back at the hut while I went out to battle the elements... This didn't last long, I decided I would be more productive at the hut waiting for the weather to clear. After lunch the skies were clear again and I set off on a big mission, spooking one hind and attempting to close in on a couple of stags but it didn't work out. I followed the river a couple of km's back up to the hut.

The plan was now to head out the next morning, a day earlier than planned but we had an animal on the ground and it was going to be saturday in the middle of the roar so we expected a few more occupants would be arriving...

Sat morning we were all packed up, having our breakfast when we heard a roar very close to the hut, we went out and replied but he didn't respond. Back to our breakfast and he started up again. Once again though we couldn't get him worked up so we carried on getting ready, split the meat between our packs, cleaned the hut up, stocked up the firewood supply and set sail for the ute.

An hour away from the hut I was sure we had passed Chads head so he checked his GPS and sure enough it was a few hundred metres back behind us. While he shot back to grab it, I was giving an update on the camera when a stag started roaring just above me. He didn't pay attention to my reply so I didn't pursue it until he started up again. This time he sounded more worked up and closer... Brilliant, this could get exciting!

Once chad returned with his head it was decided I'll shoot up the hill to chase this stag while he skinned his head. I started sneaking up the hill, remaining quiet in the hope he would just let me know where he was. This wasn't the case so once I had gained some altitude I let out a roar, no response, I took 3 or 4 steps and 2 hinds bolted which must have been watching me... Bugger now I've blown it....   Angry
They had bolted to my left, so I sidled to my right away from them where I believed the stag was. Soon after I let out another roar and this time he was responding, each time a little closer   Cheesy
I sat down behind some big tree roots and trunk to remain out of sight and continued to bring him in. After a couple of minutes he appeared approx 15m above me in a small open area, he began thrashing the grass with his antlers as he groaned and roared. I decided not to shoot as I didn't have the greatest shot on him and I really enjoyed watching him worked up.
I didn't want to risk roaring again with him so close but he wasn't coming down and I wanted to make things exciting so i let out some short roars and he was fired up, after a couple of replies he came charging down!
Stepping down right in front of me about 5m away, broadside, about to turn onto the game trail right towards me. I placed a shot in his neck and he tumbled on the spot.
To say I was stoked would be an under statement! The whole experience of roaring him in so close was awesome and great fuel for an adrenalin rush. The excitement of watching him up close and holding off on the shot was second to none  Cheesy

He was no monster, just a nice even 6 pointer, but he was my first head and only my second deer so I was over the moon!

I called Chad on the radio and he came up, we took as much meat as we could carry and re arranged the packs for our walk to the ute which suddenly become a lot harder!
It took us a further 5.5 hours to get out, totalling 6.5 hours with 40kg packs so we were delighted to see the ute just before dark! We spotted a couple more hinds on the way out, one which stood and watched us for awhile but we certainly weren't pulling the trigger with the packs already full to the brim.

Overall it was the highlight of both our hunting careers to date, the area was amazing, with a good mix of bush, slips, clearings, river flats and animals!!

This was the first ever roar trip for either of us so we were certainly pleased with our efforts and the outcome!

Here is a video I've put together of the trip. It doesn't cover anything I haven't already dribbled on about in this write up but never the less, enjoy   Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXtmLWDn5Ms

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #24 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Cool Cool Cool

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #25 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Awesome story MF!. Nice skills getting onto all those animals in a new area right in the heart of Doc land let alone being your first roar  Smiley we must be in the golden years of hunting, hopefully hunting is like this for awhile yet. Good Ruahine roar this year.

IP Logged

Mad_Fisho
Donor Member

Reply #26 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Cheers Rowan! Yea mate it's a nice place in there, must of passed 15 roaring stags in the valley on the walk in which was a treat for our first roar experience! I've only been in the Ruahines twice, but I'll be back there much more from now on  Cool

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Hi guys, thanks for the response Not a lot but class act contributions..

The voting is open for your favorite,  its a no category vote to keep things simple. The prizes will be drawn  from a hat and everyone will recieve at least one prize.  Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #28 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
All really great stories here. Its going to be a tough choice.. Good luck Guys.

The poll closes on Monday the 12th September. 

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
The poll closing after 24 hour and showing the results is a right royal cockup software problem and im highly pissed.

It was set to run 20 days before closing. Im going to have to delete the whole thing and satart again as it was looking like an exciting race to the finish.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards