Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Smith Stream, Ruahines (Read 17231 times)
KaneoWSM
Just Joined

Smith Stream, Ruahines
Jun 4th, 2016 at 6:23am
Print Post  
Walked into Smith Stream yesterday, parked up just above the Waipawa river on the farm entrance past Triplex Hut.

Took abit of a push into the hut and took the wife for her first look at a NZFS hut.

If you don't know the last 800 - 900m is down the stream, so be a bit carefull with the weather conditions, we had quite a bit of snow melt so it was abit nasty, poor old toes took a beating with the cold water in the boots.

Was disappointed with how the hut was left, had food left on the table including cheese slices, rubbish left in the fireplace including backcountry packets and empty tinned fish, the storage unit for the NZFS guys had been busted open and left empty and a distinct lack of firewood also tools left outside and for me a large amount of disrespect.  Angry

Spent some time knocking up firewood and left the hut with four new candles, firestarters, two separate rolls of toilet paper in glad snap bags, cleaned out the fireplace and buried the rubbish then swepted out the hut

Allot of deer sign on the way in, saw six, upset a stag and also got winded by some more deer in a creek on the way out, tempted to grab the tent and head back in tomorrow.

Also its cold in there in June.

Kaneo

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us"

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Smith Stream, Ruahines
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 9:19am
Print Post  
I wonder if the old log book is still there. As a young deer culler I slept in that bottom bunk many a night. 1965/66😉 a long time ago now..used to walk in from middle stream.

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
IP Logged

KaneoWSM
Just Joined

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Hi Alan,

The hut book was started in 2014 and only had a couple of pages in it, so Smith Stream doesn't see to many visitors.

This must have been a pretty new hut back in 65, I'm guessing you have a few stories.

The walk in along the stream was hard going on the weekend, very cold and the frost didn't seem to lift so all the boulders were icy.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us"

IP Logged

StagsRoar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Tikka T3  .270

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 6:57am
Print Post  
Do you know the GPS coordinates - I'd kind of like to copy your initial post and paste into the Huts sticky section North Island South section.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 7:40am
Print Post  
Good post thanks. Somewhere I have never visited.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
hay alan did you guys use huddle round the hop scotch pad in the evenings, Grin nice old hut, pity about the tossers with no respect.

IP Logged

KaneoWSM
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Hey StagsRoar,

I don't mind if you want to copy this post to another part of the forum. I will have a look at my GPS when I get home and see if I can dig up the co-ordinates.

And yer its the first hut I have been in that had its own indoor Hop Scotch  Grin

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 8:35am
Print Post  
No fireplace, kaneo?
first went there for looksee while track cutting for NZFS at Hinerua
Needs some TLC it seems

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 11:54am
Print Post  
That looks like a great spot!  Still has a Forest Service notice on the wall too.  Despite what the cretens before you left that looks like a great example of an S70 in almost original condition.  Even looks like the fire surround was replaced not long ago.  Good on ya for restocking the wood and cleaning up.  We need more like you!

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Hey mate great report. Have hunted the area a bit but don't anymore because of the trouble in the area. Hope you didn't get harassed by the crazy manager?.

Have never made it to the hut, what's the hunting like? looks tight and nasty. It's a shame a lot more people using N block rd these days.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2016 at 3:59am
Print Post  
RuahineRowan wrote on Jun 11th, 2016 at 10:42pm:
Hey mate great report. Have hunted the area a bit but don't anymore because of the trouble in the area. Hope you didn't get harassed by the crazy manager?.

Have never made it to the hut, what's the hunting like? looks tight and nasty. It's a shame a lot more people using N block rd these days.

Your young age and the number of places that you have hunted is truly inspirational.
Obviously you followed your Dads heels for along time.

very cool. Cool

IP Logged

KaneoWSM
Just Joined

Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2016 at 8:12am
Print Post  
I thought I would put up a few extra pics from the trip.

I have come across the manager awhile back and he was very hostile, I'm guessing he's seen his fair share of idiots and trouble, but to be fair he didn't really give me a chance to have a chat and let him know my intentions.

I didn't see him on this trip but I did see quite a few trail cams around and I thought if I shot something I would be taking photos and bringing its ears out to avoid any issues.

I have been in North block road a few times and I enjoy it, not for the sunrise hut though, I must have counted 20+ cars in that carpark before heading past to the Waipawa river.

The hut is as original as they get, had the old school open fireplace with the wire and hooks for your billy and stuff. This is what I'm guessing Arete forks looks like now TH?

The co-ords for the hut are E1871230 N5584191, elavation 813m

I didn't get as much hunting in as I would have liked, but there was plenty of sign and the snow had pushed the deer down, on the hut side of Middle stream was primo.

My original intention was to do a three day solo hunt and push on to the Hinerau hut, but after the wife spent one night in Smith Stream that was the end of that.  Sad

I bit of a wonky photo trying to get the flash working for the wife but you can see the fire in the back ground.

Kaneo

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2016 at 5:09am
Print Post  
Haha cheers Ice, come to think of it I have been to a few places and experienced some unreal hunting opportunities and I'm truly grateful  Smiley

Kaneo,

Yeah mate he's hostile alright, heard he even pulled a gun on someone last year  Angry every time we pull up he comes flying over having a rant and all kinds of threats, we even got trespassed for hunting on DOC land!!. Make sure you know your boundaries and your gps never lies  Smiley always wanted to hunt there in June when the stag are grouped up. Never seen deer on those middle stream faces(2nd to last pic) . Seen 6 deer off the track in summer once.

Have hunted Hinerua too but not from SS(heard the track's terrible), give me a PM next time you go in there. Might be able to help you out  Smiley

IP Logged

Tarzan
Just Joined

Reply #13 - Jun 13th, 2016 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
awesome photos kaneo

Roughly how long did it take you to walk in there?

IP Logged

KaneoWSM
Just Joined

Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2016 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
You should be able to walk in to Smiths Stream somewhere around 4.5 to 5.5 hours depending on your fitness, weight your carrying and what level Smith stream is running at.

The stream can really slow you down when the level is up.

Cheers for the info RuahineRowan, will keep you in mind when I next head in there.
Also good job on the reports you have put up, I have enjoyed reading them Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards