Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) sako 75 (Read 6176 times)
Nak
Donor Member

sako 75
Jun 4th, 2016 at 3:17am
Print Post  
I'm looking at upgrading my trusty .270 Howa that has served my well over the years to something a little more refined. There's a 75 sako stainless/synthetic that is looking tempting at the moment.Searching for reviews and forum posts gives overwhelmingly positive feedback on these rifles.

The only negatives I could find were a few complaints about it's weight (doesn't really seem that heavy looking at the specs - no real concern to me) and a few issues with the magazine catch latch releasing unintended. 

Any feedback from users on here in that have owned 75's?

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: sako 75
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 4:50am
Print Post  
WE run a 75 Finnlight in 243. Awesome stock. McMillan says it is the best designed ever. No problems us. Optilocks. Pachmayr slip on as well to protect butt.We climb out of gorges with it.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Mine has been/is a fantastic rifle. Try and get your hands on one and see what you think might be best bet. The stock really is quite something.

Trigger can be lightened easily to a nice and reasonable weight. Very crisp. Limbsaver make a replacement pad which can be a good upgrade.

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 6:23am
Print Post  
Wish I had never sold mine  Cry

Sako-Tikka-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Hunting anywhere and everywhere

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 6:47am
Print Post  
Beautiful rifles, by far the best synthetic stock available

IP Logged

Mr Ar-15
Forum Senior

Ever Vigilant

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Upgrade your HOWA?

There's a 75 on TM now in 270 which may be the one your referring to.

As I've used in the Sakos the 75's I can only make comments about the 75.

Really nice handling guns  and worth their weight in gold, very nice but out of my $ bracket lucky for those who can afford one!

keeping it simple;22,223,308,7mm rem mag and 12ga.

IP Logged

Nak
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 8:26am
Print Post  
The Howa's been a fine rifle. The action is a bit agricultural and heavy but there's never been a question about it's reliability or accuracy. Also, It was the first centrefire I ever owned and it was a do-all rifle, and I foolishly lopped a fair bit off the barrel with the view it would be better in the thick stuff. The .270 now will be something to shoot at longer ranges and the shorter barrell in the howa now loses too much speed.

Nah, I'm in Aus. I'll have a look at the one on trade me though, it will be interesting to see what they go far over there.

IP Logged

tikka

Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
The Sako 75 would be the best rifle I have owned so far, it is a bit heavy but handles so well and have pulled off some awesome free hand shots and quick to top load after the mag runs out and the bolt is easy to strip down and clean. I have given this rifle more shit than any other. My 75 is a 270win and once the barrels done I will rebarrel it to a 16" .284win to make it lighter and still have the reach to hit way out there. If I was to sell it I wound buy another Sako.

IP Logged

dogmatix
Forum Font

FnH member since 2005

Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
My two 75s.

.270 Finnlight

.223 Stainless laminate

Welcome to Sako club.

IP Logged

Mr Ar-15
Forum Senior

Ever Vigilant

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2016 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Nak wrote on Jun 4th, 2016 at 8:26am:
The Howa's been a fine rifle. The action is a bit agricultural and heavy but there's never been a question about it's reliability or accuracy. Also, It was the first centrefire I ever owned and it was a do-all rifle, and I foolishly lopped a fair bit off the barrel with the view it would be better in the thick stuff. The .270 now will be something to shoot at longer ranges and the shorter barrell in the howa now loses too much speed.

Nah, I'm in Aus. I'll have a look at the one on trade me though, it will be interesting to see what they go far over there.

Well lucky for you then!

For the money the one in question was only $1500 which would translate to a rather good AUD pricing!
Just watch the auctions and you can pick a pearla up as they are known to pop up!

The SAKOS are bloody nice, the only one I don't like is the A7 and that is because in all Honesty it's Berettas way of saying; oh sh!t our budget rifle(tikka)shoots just aswell as the 85...... Let's make something in the middle but a SAKO.....

keeping it simple;22,223,308,7mm rem mag and 12ga.

IP Logged

Ginga

Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I've got a medium 75 action barrelled in 7 08. Was 243 finnlight but shot that barrel out. As mentioned earlier the action is heavier than some but the mag holds 5 rounds and it feeds like a dream. Mine gets used and abused and holds zero. Tried lighter rifles like Kimber but no thanks. I find the real light ones hard to shoot off hand. The old sako - no worries....

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
I Love Sako model 75's. I own a 7mm Rem mag and a 6.5 Swede. I also own a 6.5 Swede Finnlight in 6.5 model 85

The 75 is 400 gram on the heavy side but with your calibre of choice a .270 thats a bonus. I have given my 75's nothing but hard use and in return they give me accuracy all the time every time. Bought a spare magazine for the 7mm in case it fell out and still have it sitting around somewhere never lost a mag yet.

Keep in mind that little bit of extra weight is less recoil.  It is half a bottle of water or a couple of OSM's in return you get reduced recoil and the ability to spot your shots through the scope. A heavier rifle is more forgiving when forced to set up for longer shots in rough terrain you want to use that .270s flat round Wink

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

IP Logged

Vulpes Vulpes

Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
I've used a Sako 75 stainless synthetic in 6.5x55 as my main deer rifle for 10 years, surperb rifles.

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Owned one as my main rifle since they first came in to NZ.
.308 of coarse. Awesum weapons.
Heres a possum checking out the 75.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
.threeoeight wrote on Jun 9th, 2016 at 9:18pm:
Owned one as my main rifle since they first came in to NZ.
.308 of coarse. Awesum weapons.
Heres a possum checking out the 75.

2-7x Leupold?

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards