Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Flat seas and groper! (Read 8845 times)
groperman
Forum Font

Farken BANG!!

Flat seas and groper!
May 8th, 2016 at 6:18am
Print Post  
The marine forecast and wind conditions looked so mint for Saturday we opted out of duck shooting our pond on opening morning in favour of fishing.
The ducks could wait until Sunday (today) to be prepared for the roasting dish.
We headed out at first light in best as it can get conditions !
A couple of mates were to bring there boats out as well, always a better feeling of safety heading out there with two or three boats.
Our intended fishing site was 40 miles out from the ramp, you can see in a couple of the pics how far out we are, can only see the hills of Banks Peninsula but the rest of the land is over the horizon and cant see it.
Makes a few newbies nervous when I take them out that far  Shocked
Plenty of Groper were found on the sounder at first but weren't biting very well, we have noticed a pattern over the last few years that they seem to come on the bite about 10 to 11am best, with fish size getting bigger as the bite goes on.
Only problem is we have usually already got our limt as the bigger fish start getting pulled up.
A mate has been doing well on the Groper with a jig so we tried using one as seen in the pics and it cleaned up ! caught more than the bait did and no mess.
Next trip is going to be bait free.
We had a bit of excitement when a big Mako shark followed a groper up, pulled it off the line and bit it in half ! we gaffed the good bit that was still floating and the 8 to 10 foot Mako circled the boat for a while which was cool , mate got some footage on his ph and will try to put it up after this post.
Headed back to land doing 26kts in the 3 ton boat in amazing conditions with our limit of groper about 12.30pm.
And my new Landcruiser wasnt on fire when we got back  Smiley
Home at Loburn by 3.30pm, cleaned the boat, put fish in chiller for the night and settled into the home bar for a few hours of drinking far too much beer and bourbon  Tongue Cheesy
Shot a couple of ducks this morning on our pond at home and roasted them up while processing our groper, been feeding them up for a while and man were they good, fatty with crispy skin mmm
And more beer of course  Grin

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Re: Flat seas and groper!
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2016 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Wicked man.... What a sea.  Looks like a few duck ponds this weekend. Very nice fish.

Sorry to be a dick.... But the blue cruiser looked better hooked with the boat.   Cry Cry

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

groperman
Forum Font

Farken BANG!!

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2016 at 7:14am
Print Post  
hairy wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 6:56am:
Wicked man.... What a sea.  Looks like a few duck ponds this weekend. Very nice fish.

Sorry to be a dick.... But the blue cruiser looked better hooked with the boat.   Cry Cry

It wasn't blue it was gun metal grey mate !
I had no choice as there were only white or bright blue trucks left in the country, no more coming in until later in the year due to no stability control.
When I trade up in a couple of years will go for another  dark colour.
The new double cab jeeps look pretty cool !
Shame about the petrol engine and most likely bad resale though.

IP Logged

groperman
Forum Font

Farken BANG!!

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2016 at 7:22am
Print Post  
Also found out I cant get a 3.5 ton braked coupling for trailer !
Have to use a 3.5 ton unbraked coupling and electric brake system costing about $3000 !
Had a look at other boat trailers at the ramp with setups obviously over 2.5 ton, all running 2.5 ton couplings
= no insurance !!!

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2016 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Surely if you are going to hook 100 k boat onto your vehicle you would make sure it's legal to tow?  Pretty interesting tho.... After what you have been through I trust your judgement. It's till a real nice truck bro.  My rodeo is white... Doesnt show the dirt as bad I reckon.  Shows the blood tho.  Grin

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

groperman
Forum Font

Farken BANG!!

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2016 at 8:03am
Print Post  
hairy wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 7:25am:
Surely if you are going to hook 100 k boat onto your vehicle you would make sure it's legal to tow?  Pretty interesting tho.... After what you have been through I trust your judgement. It's till a real nice truck bro.  My rodeo is white... Doesnt show the dirt as bad I reckon.  Shows the blood tho.  Grin

Its just something guys dont know mate, I had my boat and trailer custom built 9 years ago and foolishly  didnt even think about the legal capacity of the coupling vs the weight of trailer and boat !
My boat now owes me about 200 k!
I weighed it on Friday and it was 3.2 ton empty and I have the highest capacity braked coupling available being 2.5 ton ! again this = no insurance
Will be fitting the electric brake system over the next few weeks.
And yea white keeps cleaner than the dark coloured truck, I live on a shingle road so doesn't take long to get bloody filthy. 

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2016 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Fantastic day on the water.   I always liked the stern leg concept, was only the earlier models unreliability in commercial use that steered me away, they seem to be much better units these days.

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2016 at 8:11am
Print Post  
My father in law has a 7.2 Haines which he tows behind his rodeo.  I might get him to chuck it over the weigh bridge I think.

YouTube  
IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2016 at 8:16am
Print Post  
His boat is only 2480 kg with 100 litres of gas. Will still check coupling.

YouTube  
IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2016 at 9:05am
Print Post  
What cracker day Cool

If you want someting done, ask someone who's busy.

IP Logged

groperman
Forum Font

Farken BANG!!

Reply #10 - May 8th, 2016 at 9:21am
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 8:09am:
Fantastic day on the water.   I always liked the stern leg concept, was only the earlier models unreliability in commercial use that steered me away, they seem to be much better units these days.

When we built my boat we fitted a 274 Hamilton jet.
Removed after a few years due to different usage and was a pig in following sea.
It now has a Bravo II Diesel X Drive, very strong unit and boat is faster, more economical, better maneuverability and can keep in a straight line in a following sea !
Engine is 350hp Nissan turbo diesel, 7 litre engine.

IP Logged

rambro
Donor Member

Reply #11 - May 8th, 2016 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Awesome report yet again. Sea looked perfect!  Great to see your truck wasnt on fire this time haha. cheers

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #12 - May 8th, 2016 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Wicked. Cool Cool

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #13 - May 8th, 2016 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Top notch mate! As expected  Cool Cool

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #14 - May 8th, 2016 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Nissan 350 Hp turbo diesel,7 litre.That would go well in the patrol. Grin

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #15 - May 8th, 2016 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Great to see that you are back at it again, after your disaster. Looks like a great day was had by all, with plenty of nice eating size fish.  Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #16 - May 9th, 2016 at 12:41am
Print Post  
groperman wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 9:21am:

Removed after a few years due to different usage and was a pig in following sea.
It now has a Bravo II Diesel X Drive, very strong unit and boat is faster, more economical, better maneuverability and can keep in a straight line in a following sea !

Nice set-up.  Have heard great things on the Bravo II x drives. 
Nothing worse than boats that yaw badly in following seas, The old counter stern displacements were magic in big following seas.
Did you have to muck about much with installation  to get adequate trim?  mind you, from the pics she looks like she carries the weight aft fairly well.

IP Logged

groperman
Forum Font

Farken BANG!!

Reply #17 - May 9th, 2016 at 2:23am
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on May 9th, 2016 at 12:41am:
groperman wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 9:21am:

Nice set-up.  Have heard great things on the Bravo II x drives. 
Nothing worse than boats that yaw badly in following seas, The old counter stern displacements were magic in big following seas.
Did you have to muck about much with installation  to get adequate trim?  mind you, from the pics she looks like she carries the weight aft fairly well.

I just booked it into the marine engineer and told them to take the jet out and fit the leg mate, we didnt even talk about trim etc that I can remember, I dont think we had any choice as to where it could be mounted/installed, it just went really well after the change over Grin
It was a massive job though !
Jet intake had to be put back to full keel, engine removed and remounted to suit the leg along with all plumbing, exhaust, new hydraulic steering, custom made bell housing etc etc etc ! it was never ending.
Needed to fit large hydraulic trim tabs as the big prop is trying to roll the boat over.
Mount the leg which I had to specially import from the USA to get the right ratio as my engine is large with low RPM as apposed to most others that run higher RPM smaller engines like Yanmars etc.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #18 - May 9th, 2016 at 4:33am
Print Post  
  Boats aye, Alterations or engine transplants never seem to be a simple job or cheap with them.

Many moons ago I watched my mates new Qwest built charter boat doing sea trials with the then new Duo prop leg, the boat went really well but the duo props thrust was horrendous on the 8mt hull, seemed to be always forcing the hull onto its Starboard side, did ride and handle very well with everyone standing on the port side though,  Grin Grin

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

Reply #19 - May 9th, 2016 at 7:03am
Print Post  
Bloody well done as usual.

Digital Hunter...in search of the perfect pic

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #20 - May 11th, 2016 at 6:29am
Print Post  
man its been far too many years since I last had a groper steak fried in butter Cry Cry those fish look very tasty.

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

Reply #21 - May 11th, 2016 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on May 11th, 2016 at 6:29am:
man its been far too many years since I last had a groper steak fried in butter Cry Cry those fish look very tasty.

You know you can buy them in fish shops eh!  Grin

Digital Hunter...in search of the perfect pic

IP Logged

Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Reply #22 - May 13th, 2016 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
great day mate and some wonderful eaters there

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

day in lew
Donor Member

the worst day fishing
is always better than
work

Reply #23 - May 14th, 2016 at 9:58am
Print Post  
how does new break set up work.do you take off old coupling and replace it.i have never herd of electric brakes on a boat trailer

IP Logged

groperman
Forum Font

Farken BANG!!

Reply #24 - May 15th, 2016 at 6:37am
Print Post  
day in lew wrote on May 14th, 2016 at 9:58am:
how does new break set up work.do you take off old coupling and replace it.i have never herd of electric brakes on a boat trailer

Yep the 2500kg hydraulic activated coupling
(with master cylinder attached) has to be removed and a solid 3.5 ton fitted.
The direct braking system which is electronically activated is then installed.
Im not going to try and explain how it works as I might explain incorrectly and it would be easier for you to google it and read some info about the system.
Since this has come to my attention I have seen several trailers getting around loaded up with large boats, vehicles on trailers etc that would go over 2.5 ton and they are all running the standard 2.5 ton braked coupling, and again this equals no insurance and illegal to be on the road.
It is also a legal requirement in NZ that when towing you can stop within 7 metres when doing 30 KPH.
7 metres is not much !!!   

IP Logged

WassupO8

Reply #25 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Heya GM, you been out on the puka/crays much lately?  Interested to hear how much/if the Kaikoura quake and subsequent mudslides in the canyon have affected things, a few mates and i are pretty confident its had an impact on viz here in Wellington & lower west coast, not 100% of the time but def a difference even with the sh|t summer winds we had

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards