Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Falcon target steel loads (Read 2066 times)
Toma-Duck

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Falcon target steel loads
Apr 28th, 2016 at 7:33am
Print Post  
A little birdie tells me 24 and 28gram loads in #7 are soon available. How does steel price and preform against a text book lead 1oz load?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Falcon target steel loads
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2016 at 7:09am
Print Post  
hope they get here soon...its what has been missing/wrong with transition to steel right from the start...something that will kill without booting the crap out of young fella/slight build/old chap with buggered shoulders...back in the lead days you gave then a load of lead #7s and kept range short also brilliant for finishing woundies with pellet count high enough for head/neck to be hit
I bought box of gamebore #7s steel form gunworks (cheap off trademe) for a bit of a laugh..unfortunately the speed was down too low to be effective Cry

IP Logged

Wingmaster
Forum Font

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2016 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Quote:
How does steel price

Unlikely to be cheap as theres little market for it,you cant use steel shot on any NZCTA club ground.

As long as you can laugh at yourself you will never cease to be amused.

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2016 at 9:30am
Print Post  
why not wingmaster? Huh

IP Logged

Wingmaster
Forum Font

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2016 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Safety issues,most trap houses are steel,if someone shoots the back of one with steel shot you would find a load of steel coming back towards the shooters.
Also when shooting skeet or sporting clays up close you can get ricochets coming back off the clays.
At our club we have pine trees in the background and don't want them riddled with steel,one day they will go to the mill.
Lead doesn't ricochet much as it flattens against a hard surface.
One club has decided to use steel shot,but they have been removed from the NZCTA.

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2016 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Steel shot is banned on clay target grounds in most countries
In the UK at least 4 people have lost eyes , even when wearing safety glasses.
There are photos on the web of DTL fields in europe that were shot over with lead for over 100 years, all green and lush.
They changed to steel and within 3 yrs the grass was dead and the area in front was a rust red bare earth.
The clubs changed back to lead .
The other issue is that of range. Steel shot lacks the range and energy to break clay targets at olympic event ranges.
50 to 70 meters

IP Logged

madcamm
Forum Senior

Great forum,  freedom
of speech above all

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Have tried them, don't mind them at all.
At a normal Sporting range, say out to 30/40 meters, no problems at all, good breaks.
At 50/60 meters they also hit well, and broke the targets, a high looping standard target off a 10/15 foot tower crossing R to L. (as if that matters really)
There was a real distinct lack of recoil I thought, bit like Falcon Clubs, but I'm used to their Elites which I've used for years from way back in the 32 gram days, and in the days where the famous Target Products green shell 11/4oz was the norm. We thought we needed that much, all it did was kill you and bash you about all day!
Lots of political reasons at NZCTA level, not sure how much they can actually dictate to clubs if they are shooting their own days as apposed to NZCTA matches.
Safety yes an issue, but like most things can be overcome or better still status quo!!!!!!

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
NZCTA is part of the international shooting federation also olympic  fed have an input. steel is not allowed for any international or olympic event. the difference in ballistics would make any shooter here non competitive overseas. Also as previously stated there are real issues relating to safety and timber concerns.
There are areas in nz now where landowners will only allow shooting if lead is used . No steel at all. one steel pellet in s tree will be detected by the metal detector at the mill , and the whole log is rejected

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 11:26am
Print Post  
ive used b&p steel 7s for quite a few years now, they are ok if your not attempting to shoot birds out too far.
I shoot them at 20meters max. good for decoying birds for night shoot where concealment is not so important. But knowing your range is pretty critical.

http://www.ammo-online.kiwi.nz/collections/pick-up-auckland/products/sporting-an...

IP Logged

Paul Stenning
Online Forum Guide
Staff

Does life exist north
of the Mataura?

Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
I am not a target shooter but have shot game with the 28 gram Falcon Sports steel with devastating results! Have even used it as first shot on decoying geese and they are as dead as dead can be .... even got two with one shot! Only down side being that it is so light recoiling it will not always cycle my A400
I don't have a dog in the steel for clay targets fight but I would caution those who are totally ruling it out about backing themselves into a corner on the issue .... lead for many reasons both real and political is not going to be an option in the long term future .... If you want to rule out the only viable option without looking for ways to make it work I am afraid your sport will be in big trouble  Undecided

Never trust those who do not trust others!

IP Logged

wanganuikid
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Still pushing your steel barrow paul.

IP Logged

Wingmaster
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Theres no issues with using lead for clay targets at gun clubs.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 9:51am
Print Post  
wonder what cost would be to run the magnet truck over the cunclub field????? they pull nails and crap out of shingle driveways etc so surely they could lift pellets from grass area...... only be feasable if truck based in city/town close to club.....
where do we get some of these loads ?????
a box for finishing woundies be worth a go.

IP Logged

STI
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Mar 18th, 2017 at 9:51am:
wonder what cost would be to run the magnet truck over the cunclub field????? they pull nails and crap out of shingle driveways etc so surely they could lift pellets from grass area...... only be feasable if truck based in city/town close to club.....
where do we get some of these loads ?????
a box for finishing woundies be worth a go.

I think you mis understand why steel is not used on clay target ranges. Im have been led to believe that it is because steel shot richochets really well and therefore a safety issue. It is also banned for IPSC shotgun events for that very reason shooting steel plates with steel shot is not on.

I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either..

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #14 - Mar 23rd, 2017 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
I do realize that...was merely pondering the feasability of recolecting it to avoid the said contamination issues.
anyone who has shot possums out of a dry willow tree with steel will be able to testify to it. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards