Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Ongaonga Nettle (Read 10260 times)
Willie_the_Waiter

Ongaonga Nettle
Jan 31st, 2016 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Found out about Ongaonga Nettle the hard way while out hunting the Mamaku's yesterday. Fell in to a plant on the rivers edge, felt like I was cover in wasp stings in the beginning, followed by a numb arm and leg which I still have 24 hours later! Nasty stuff. Herd through the grape vine it has killed a few dogs... even people. Something to watch out for next time i think.

IP Logged

andrew-simpson
Donor Member

Wishes for fishes

Re: Ongaonga Nettle
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 5:42am
Print Post  
Had a similar experience in the aorangis recently. nasty stuff indeed. glad i carry some antihistamines. seemed to help the pain at least. the tingling stuck around for a couple of days, especially at night. like how insect bites get itchier when you are trying to go to sleep.

IP Logged

P38
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 8:43am
Print Post  
My old man lost a couple of pig dogs to Onga Onga after they fought a pig in an area dense with it.

I believe there has been a Human death from it too.

Cheers
Pete

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 9:22am
Print Post  
From the Encyclopedia of NZ:

Tree nettle (ongaonga)

Also known by its botanical name, Urtica ferox, this killer plant is well-documented. Like all nettles, it is covered in stinging hairs that put poison into the skin of a person or animal that brushes against it. The plant grows in coastal and regenerating shrublands up to 600 metres above sea level, where it may form dense thickets up to 2 metres tall.

On Boxing Day 1961 two young men hunting in the Ruahine Range stumbled through a patch of tree nettle and received a number of stings on their limbs. Within an hour one of them had difficulty in walking and breathing, and then lost his sight. He died five hours later in hospital. His friend had similar symptoms, but recovered. Although this is the only fatal incident on record, a number of people have been very ill for two to three days after being stung.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
As the Pohangina River, and the mid level track to Mid Po is getting some coverage on another thread, I vaguely remember that some of the biggest stinging nettle trees I have ever had the misfortune to bump into were part way along that track. Nasty nasty stuff. Tongue

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2016 at 4:49am
Print Post  
round up fixes it Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
been stung a few times with the big stuff, pleased the stuff we have down here in the south is only babies by comparison,have seen dogs crook even with our wee stuff. Cry

IP Logged

Cervus
Just Joined

Stalk the valley least
hunted.

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2016 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Willie, next time you meet this plant, liberally rub saliva into the stung area, this will dilute the toxin. It makes a big difference.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2016 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
We used to rub dock leaves on the stings when we were kids. Not sure if it worked though, but  that's what people used to do.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

bigbear

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 12:42am
Print Post  
where i work every bit off bush has the shit in it.the worst off ever seen it so thick you can even crawl under it.doesnt take much to get stung even through your pants etc.they just about lost a horse from it and dogs. one was out off action  for three months
its at its worst around nov- jan ive found.

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 3:37am
Print Post  
BC wrote on Feb 4th, 2016 at 6:41pm:
We used to rub dock leaves on the stings when we were kids. Not sure if it worked though, but  that's what people used to do.

Yep, singe the dock leaves with a lighter and squash the leaf and then rub it on the effected area

IP Logged

Micko
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
TJ wrote on Feb 5th, 2016 at 3:37am:
BC wrote on Feb 4th, 2016 at 6:41pm:

Yep, singe the dock leaves with a lighter and squash the leaf and then rub it on the effected area

Dock leaves?  come across Ongaonga a few times but was aware of it and gave it a very wide berth. at least it looks dodgy with the white spikes, took me a few times getting hopelessly tangled in bush lawyer before that plant instantly registered in my mind as an asshole.

IP Logged

Ruger260
Forum Senior

It makes good reading

Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Fox Glove also great for nettle. crunch some leaves and rub on the effected area.

IP Logged

pennyless

Reply #12 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
That's worth remembering. Heaps round here but more foxglove than dock. Shit of a stuff.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Seen two dogs die from that stuff - both GSP's and both collapsed and were dead by the time we got them to the vet.
Also had a mate I hunted with hospitalised after he dragged a deer he shot out of the stuff - came out with huge water blisters/bladders hanging of him and we sat him in the creek to try and ease his pain - didn't know what else to do.
Haven't seen it in years - it doesn't grow around where I mostly hang out these days.
Do remember reading years ago the toxin is similar to spider or snake venom - one or the other, can't remember.
I also know it can hurt for a week.

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
A guy from work wants me to get him a small plant of this home so he can plant it.

He said by touching it on on his hand joints it fixes his arthritis for a few days!!

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards