Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bait Launcher (Read 2381 times)
bigcat
Donor Member

Bait Launcher
Dec 18th, 2015 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Hi fellas,

Has anyone out there built a bait launcher for surf casting using a baby dive bottle or something similar to drive the bait?

Interested to hear how you have got on. We have a rough plan on paper but am unsure what air pressure is required to launch it say 80-100m.

Any input appreciated!

IP Logged

alan and sunny
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Bait Launcher
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Hi BigCat.
   I've never made one but I think your air supply would be too limited, I have heard of people using potato guns to launch lines. Using a small propane canister instead of the usual hair spray would give more expansion to launch the bait but you would have slowly work up the amount of gas required so as not to blow yourself up.
Al.

IP Logged

P38
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Do your research first, google is your friend, you will require pressure (120psi/8 bar) and volume .

Don't use PVC for your pressure chamber it will eventually shatter with disastrous consequences.

Cheers
Pete

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Some years back a guy that I met had one , made out of an old single barrel shotgun. He hand loaded blank cartridges to suit. It fired a brass sinker / weight that the line attached to.
The sinker had 3 o rings that were replaced before each firing. They acted like a wad and sealed the gas. It was mounted on a tripod and could lob the sinker and 25 hook line about 400 meters . I understand his son has it now and still uses it

IP Logged

yugman

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2016 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
I have been playing with one, the high pressure pvc pipe and fittings cost about $200. I got it working using a super cheap compressor, getting around 110psi and maybe  60-70metres on a good shot. I went with freezing a sinker,bait ect into a burley bomb. Molds made from the same 50mm pipe as the barrel. Still perfecting that method as the leader bird nests instead of unrolling nicely.
It is a fun project but really haven't caught anything from it yet.  Maybe this summer. Pm me if you want any details.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards