Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Wasps killing birds (Read 17137 times)
Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Wasps killing birds
Dec 18th, 2015 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
I have had two emails  in regards to my press release about the wasps menace. They talked about wasps killing fledgling birds. One from a game bird breeder and one from a concerned tramper who watched a number of wasps (through his binos) attacking the eyes of a baby bird in a nest and killing it and then carting the flesh off.
Has anyone else seen this or have any photos of it.... or something like....

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
Book. Born to The Outdoors http://www.alan-simmons.com/book
IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Re: Wasps killing birds
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Seen them on a crippled waxeye which they demolished. You know what they do to a carcass hung up in the bush. Seem to become demonised when they are eating meat.

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that...

IP Logged

trippin ova
Forum Senior

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Good news about Vespex becoming widely available now to individuals who complete their online test

IP Logged

madfish71
Donor Member

243 rules!!

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
trippin ova wrote on Dec 31st, 2015 at 1:23pm:
Good news about Vespex becoming widely available now to individuals who complete their online test

MMM..Individuals  that have to pay to do it and then buy the stuff...cant see the average joe blog that could kill thousands of wasps doing that thou unless its free

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Im thinking the forum could start a campaign to supply hunters with a few baits to be laid during the roar... we cant wait for DOC...

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
found/walked past half dozen nests yesterday in beech forest,wouldv'e been easy to drop a prepared bait into mouth of nest on way past...the hum of wings just on daylight was unreal and it was a relief to get higher up in bush past where they are thickest.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
yeah birds but what about geckos? wetas? bats? , um

IP Logged

madfish71
Donor Member

243 rules!!

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Alan wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 1:21pm:
Im thinking the forum could start a campaign to supply hunters with a few baits to be laid during the roar... we cant wait for DOC...

Great idea, i be keen. Thousands of wasps around here, was thinking i do the test, if DOC come up with some bait and i happierly do it around here

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 7:24am
Print Post  
good luck,

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
"Something" has caused a massive imbalance in the ecosystem to create this problem.

If you don't know it all, then you don't know what you don't know.

IP Logged

el_trout_whisperer
Forum Senior

Embracing nature's beat
down with Spartan reserve

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
The wasp numbers in Lewis Pass were really few when I was there recently, I was pleasantly surprised. Not sure if the cold has knocked them back already?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
anyone got the skinny on the possum trapper who got hit really badly and was saved by guys nearby with Adrenalin??????

IP Logged

wahooman
Just Joined

Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Everything in Nature has a purpose. Wasps, bees and ants produce forms of formic acid, as does stinging nettle.( ever noticed that stinging nettle feels the same as a wasp or bee sting, well it's the same chemical). All life needs formic acid and all things that take have to give. So while it seems wasps do a lot of taking, they actually give back an essential element to all life.
Why are wasps abundant in the back country?
As far as I know the only source of formic acid in native flora and fauna is the nettle which may not be a very efficient way of dispensing it.( Romans grew stinging nettle to alleviate muscle pain after long marches, try it some time).. Honey bees cannot survive in the high country because the summer's are too short and nectar sources limited. They have to store a lot of honey to survive the winters.Wasps on the other hand die off over winter so don't have the food storage problem. In Autumn wasp nests produce queens that hibernate over the winter months and start a new nest in spring.
Scientists in NZ are working on all sorts of nasty things to get rid of wasps, but they don't understand the role that wasps have. More poisons, more genetic engineering.
Another aspect of wasps is that they have the potential to control wood boring insect outbreaks. These insects sometimes get to high numbers that cause tree mortality. With wasps needing protein for larvae( adult wasps are actually vegetarians), they could act as a limiting factor by harvesting the beetles at certain critical times.
Rather than seeing wasps as a nuisance, I see them as guardians of the forest. Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 7:56am
Print Post  
wahooman wrote on Oct 13th, 2016 at 5:34pm:
Everything in Nature has a purpose. Wasps, bees and ants produce forms of formic acid, as does stinging nettle.( ever noticed that stinging nettle feels the same as a wasp or bee sting, well it's the same chemical). All life needs formic acid and all things that take have to give. So while it seems wasps do a lot of taking, they actually give back an essential element to all life.
As far as I know the only source of formic acid in native flora and fauna is the nettle which may not be a very efficient way of dispensing it.( Romans grew stinging nettle to alleviate muscle pain after long marches, try it some time).. Honey bees cannot survive in the high country because the summer's are too short and nectar sources limited. They have to store a lot of honey to survive the winters.Wasps on the other hand die off over winter so don't have the food storage problem. In Autumn wasp nests produce queens that hibernate over the winter months and start a new nest in spring.
Scientists in NZ are working on all sorts of nasty things to get rid of wasps, but they don't understand the role that wasps have. More poisons, more genetic engineering.
Another aspect of wasps is that they have the potential to control wood boring insect outbreaks. These insects sometimes get to high numbers that cause tree mortality. With wasps needing protein for larvae( adult wasps are actually vegetarians), they could act as a limiting factor by harvesting the beetles at certain critical times.
Rather than seeing wasps as a nuisance, I see them as guardians of the forest. Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change.

Those bastards that chased me into the river trying to devour the meat that I was trying to salvage off a dead Red were the weirdest phucking vegetarians I have ever seen.

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #15 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Wasps are vegetarians, shit some of them obviously didnt get the e-mail on that.

Either that or my hind quarters were raped by a herd of the young f**kers on the piss

IP Logged

Duxbac

Reply #16 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 9:26am
Print Post  
If this is true? Heard years ago that the Government bought in the wasp to kill the white butterfly caterpillar, true or false? if so this should be on the Government to get rid of them.

AIM  
IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
wasps are a super efficient insect, a very effective hunter gatherer, interesting wahooman

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #18 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 10:01pm
Print Post  

If that is true then they are policing their role a little too liberally for me.  Smiley
They are an invasive species and the main reason they don't die off in NZ is because our winters are not cold enough. I learned this from attending a talk given in Seattle by a ranger/scientist, although I think it is common enough knowledge here in NZ.
Also bees did survive in our high country during the winter, at least prior to the arrival of wasps and varroa mite.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #19 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 9:37am
Print Post  
The little buggers don't quite die off in Winter for sure. Been dozing out rotten log piles and every now and then I get a wee flurry of activity Cheesy Nothing like late summer though Shocked when you have to be wearing bee gear to stay safe.

Biggest surprise was the number of mice dashing for cover Sad They don't dash quite quick enough for third gear Cheesy

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Seen them kill a horse many years ago - heard the noise and poked my head over the fence. Poor bugger must have stood in a ground nest and they swarmed out and attacked. By the time I got to see what was happening they'd swarmed his head and neck and he'd gone into absolute panic. After a while his heart gave out and he collapsed.
Like a lot of others - I've been chased of a carcase in the Kaimanawa's whilst butchering - I can do without them.

IP Logged

DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter)
Forum Senior

I Love inspirational quotes

Reply #21 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Heard that is how dinosaurs became extinct

IP Logged

duckman

Reply #22 - Nov 28th, 2016 at 12:45am
Print Post  

Wahooman what a load of absolute rubbish German and common wasps are introduced and have no place at all in our forests biggest load of bullshit I have read in a long time

IP Logged

levactn

Be prepared-in & out of
season

Reply #23 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 5:01am
Print Post  
when DOC used to post permits I suggested they put a quantity of insecticide with permit for hunter to apply to doorstep of nest. I've sat the Vertex test & paid the $$ & yes it is an expensive item & not easily shipped up to the north Island for health & safety transporting reasons! But I voluntered to DOC my time & expense if they supplied me with bait  id do both sides of the Waipakihi river & other places in that vicinity, but I was kind fobbed off! Perhaps I could get donations from the forum...? About now wasps will be flying off from their nest, these will be pregnant queens, (if you spot a large solitary wasp in your wood heap etc they sting! but do your interpretation of Irish dancing on said head!!) That queen is possibly 1 of a possable 1000 queens leaving a single nest - do your arithmetic on that one!that's why nov to about now wasps are aggressive but once the queens leave they tone it down a tad... Roll Eyes Quote vertex!!

you never forget a person who came to you with a torch in the dark.  COURAGE: is knowing it might hurt, & doing it anyway. STUPIDITY is the same & thats why life is hard!

IP Logged

levactn

Be prepared-in & out of
season

Reply #24 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 5:05am
Print Post  
While Im on this "late" topic. My thought as to why the wasp No's are so big is because they need to collect protein for their larvae, so moths n aphids n caterpillars etc are a ready source so is 1080 'd animals! & there is no shortage of that! are wasps immune to 1080...? are they gonna mutate...? will we be next...? think I'd better mow me lawns!!! Cheesy

you never forget a person who came to you with a torch in the dark.  COURAGE: is knowing it might hurt, & doing it anyway. STUPIDITY is the same & thats why life is hard!

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #25 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 11:00am
Print Post  

Saw on YouTube bloke using WD40 on wasps claiming significant success.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
after filliting a small trout on the side of my trailer over christmas period and seeing the absolute feeding frenzy that took place on remains by hundreds of very agro wasps...this after having killed out 10 nests from around area(mates house) it really got me thinking how well a fella would fare if you tipped over up in the bush and broke leg badly and had a large quantity of blood on n around you if nest or nests were close by.....
you cant run away and they can smell you..... the chopper might get to you in time if you set off epirb but it could be a very dodgy situation,swat one wasp and they sting and it sets off chain reaction.... before long you would be like the horse SF90 mentioned and then if skin open you start to be carted away in little hunks .....
killed 3 nests while stalking over easter weekend. more wasp powder in my daybag now..... kill em all.

had a thought on the hard to reach nests/very active ones......
put powder/poison on a tissue say heaped spoonfull,then drizzle condensed milk over it,wrap up tissue a little and lob it right into mouth of nest or as close to it as you can get...... wee plastic wrapped jam serving came to mind too. wasps will smell and eat it and that close to nest entrance bees sure wont go near....what you fellas reckon????

IP Logged

MeatHunta
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 3:03am
Print Post  
•      German wasp (Vespula germanica) arrived about 1940
•      Common wasp (Vespula vulgaris) discovered 1983
•      Common wasps almost completely replaced German wasps by 1990
[Bandits of the Beech Forest, Wild South Documentary]

•      Wasps have been observed to kill newborn birds.
[Moller, H. (1990). Wasps kill nestling birds. Notornis 37: 76-77]

•      Worker wasps have very few enzymes in their guts, so they cannot digest much of the food they gather. They bring the raw food into the nest and pass it to other workers who feed the hungry larvae. In return, the larvae release a creamy blob of predigested "soup" that contains all the sustenance the worker needs. This type of food exchange is called "trophollaxic feeding", and is a key part of the social contact between workers and the developing young.
•      Queens produce a pheromone (insect-produced chemical substances that release certain specific behaviour patterns) that regulates worker behaviour and inhibits the development of their sexual organs. Wasps also produce an "alarm pheromone" that stimulates a general state of alarm in the colony and releases aggressive behaviour towards an intruder. Rapid wing beats also function as an alarm signal stimulating other wasps to defend the nest.
[http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/research/biocons/invertebrates/Wasps/faq.asp]

•      Workers will also hunt arthropods, including flies, mosquitoes and caterpillars to feed their wasp larvae which require a protein rich diet
[http://www.padil.gov.au/viewPest.aspx?id=795]

•      At the peak of the wasp season we predict caterpillars would have virtually no chance (probability of 10-78 to 10-40) of surviving to adults. Wasp abundance must be reduced by at least 88% to conserve the more vulnerable species of free-living caterpillars at wasp densities similar to those observed in our study sites.
•      Our models show that most Lepidoptera with spring caterpillars will be able to persist, but species with caterpillars occurring in the peak wasp season will be eliminated.
[Beggs, J.R. and Rees, J.S. (1999). Restructuring of Lepidoptera communities by introduced Vespula wasps in New Zealand beech forest. Oecologia 119: 565-571.]

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #28 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 3:35am
Print Post  
Best to use meat as the bait isnt it? Then no risk of killing bees.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

MeatHunta
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Fish cat food  Wink

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 8:58am
Print Post  
agree headcase but if you lobbed tissue wrapped bundle right by a nest no bee will go anywhere near it cause they would get eaten by wasps........ no big issue to carry tube of condy milk and small pack of tissues along with powder..... faaark I hate the dirty sewing machine arsed little german huas Angry Angry

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #31 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 3:10am
Print Post  
yeh, PLEASE! don't use any sort of sugar base for your poison.
concerned beekeeper.

IP Logged

Sneaka
Forum Senior

I love short range hunting

Reply #32 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
The powder in the yellow container that you can buy at Bunnings etc is useless. Treated a nest three times with that and there were still a heap of wasps about. The old powder that you can no longer get used to deal with them in one hit. There are now a ton of wasps along rivers where they are getting the dew off the willow aphids now too. Their numbers have gone right up in those areas. Way up!!! Wasps predate many of our smaller species and also compete with birds for the same food source. The only way to get rid of them ultimately is genetic. I think when that day comes we will be staggered at the rise in invertebrate and bird populations in our back country.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 8:11am
Print Post  
bufferzone wrote on Apr 11th, 2018 at 3:10am:
yeh, PLEASE! don't use any sort of sugar base for your poison.
concerned beekeeper.

yes I can see problem if you are setting baits out in open etc but lobbing a package into of very very near a nest should eliminate risk to bees.... those hot bummed little german sewing machines will vacume up anything in no time and take it into nest,even if it had immediate 100% kill of wasps there would be stuff all left to put bees at risk....if they would even go near a dead nest site.

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #34 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
I have had a problem with the yellow peril that made a nest on the roof.
Surpriseing enough I got rid of them by spraying spider spray on the nest. Knocked them arse over tit

IP Logged

levactn

Be prepared-in & out of
season

Reply #35 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 12:51am
Print Post  
A while back someone on this forum mentioned a particular poison mixed with a coupla sardines - if every hunter laid a couple of these baits surely there must be a decline in nests? Or as mentioned why doesn't DOC supply this poison to every hunter/tramper  thats willing to place them ...? cost them zilch!

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #36 - May 25th, 2018 at 8:24am
Print Post  
I've walked a few tracks in Nelson Lakes and Abel Tasman National Parks this summer and DOC has put wasp bait stations along a lot of tracks. Few to no wasps about in these areas once they have been treated.
Maybe the increased funding for DOC will mean more wasp control.

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Banned

Reply #37 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Info about the new wasp bait and stations at this link:

https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/pests-and-threats/methods-of-control/wasp-control...

Could easily be done by trapping contractors while they go about their business of trapping.

Of course, DOC will have to start employing trappers before they can control wasps over large areas. Unfortunately, aerial 1080 isn't very effective at controlling wasps.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #38 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 3:59am
Print Post  
Marty Foote wrote on Jul 14th, 2018 at 10:25am:

https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/pests-and-threats/methods-of-control/wasp-control...

Could easily be done by trapping contractors while they go about their business of trapping.

Of course, DOC will have to start employing trappers before they can control wasps over large areas. Unfortunately, aerial 1080 isn't very effective at controlling wasps.

do wasps feed on possum carcass?  would be easy enough to spinkle/paint on a bit of active ingredient aswell

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Banned

Reply #39 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 6:40am
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Jul 16th, 2018 at 3:59am:
Marty Foote wrote on Jul 14th, 2018 at 10:25am:

do wasps feed on possum carcass?  would be easy enough to spinkle/paint on a bit of active ingredient aswell

Yes, wasps will feed on possum carcasses. Wasps will feed on any protein rich food when they need protein for the development of the young wasps.

When wasps reach their highest densities they are considered to be the N0.1 predator as they not only feed on other insects they also kill bird chicks on the nest. The raiding of the honey dew is only a part of the wasp diet.

I heard a DOC scientist, interviewed on RNZ, and he said that wasps can reach a bio-mass of more than the total bio-mass of all the introduced animals in the native bush. Individual wasps may be small, however, their combined weight, bio-mass and predator status can place them well above all the possums, rats, stoats, cats, ferrets, hedgehogs, etc as far as damage to native species go.

As for the idea of adding wasp poison to possum carcasses, this would, not only, poison the wasps, but, also everything else that would feed on the carcasses.

There was an experimental programme where 1080 was added to canned sardines, with the initial results looking good for controlling wasps. I never heard why this 1080 option was shelved.

This new wasp deal seems to be ideal, as the bait is only presented when wasps are feeding on protein, is presented in a way that targets wasps and is only available for the few days it takes to control the wasps.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #40 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
didnt really think about what else might eat the carcass. and I had a good read up last year on the vespex,  the only downfall I see is how to blanket cover the area in the right timeframe, thats alot of legs needed allthough I guess a phased approach will be taken over a long period.

I used to hunt quite a few areas up there and some spots you wouldnt dare go in the summer months due to wasps,  would be good to see them dealt to thats for sure.

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Banned

Reply #41 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Jul 16th, 2018 at 11:15pm:
didnt really think about what else might eat the carcass. and I had a good read up last year on the vespex,  the only downfall I see is how to blanket cover the area in the right timeframe, thats alot of legs needed allthough I guess a phased approach will be taken over a long period.

I used to hunt quite a few areas up there and some spots you wouldnt dare go in the summer months due to wasps,  would be good to see them dealt to thats for sure.

One of the positives for employing trappers is that they are already working in the bush and have established permanent trap-lines. After the trap-lines have been set up the trappers are carrying very little into the bush and could easily set up wasp bait stations at very little additional cost.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards