Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Wasps killing birds (Read 11494 times)
Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Wasps killing birds
Reply #30 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
agree headcase but if you lobbed tissue wrapped bundle right by a nest no bee will go anywhere near it cause they would get eaten by wasps........ no big issue to carry tube of condy milk and small pack of tissues along with powder..... faaark I hate the dirty sewing machine arsed little german huas Angry Angry

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #31 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
yeh, PLEASE! don't use any sort of sugar base for your poison.
concerned beekeeper.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #32 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 9:16am
Print Post  
The powder in the yellow container that you can buy at Bunnings etc is useless. Treated a nest three times with that and there were still a heap of wasps about. The old powder that you can no longer get used to deal with them in one hit. There are now a ton of wasps along rivers where they are getting the dew off the willow aphids now too. Their numbers have gone right up in those areas. Way up!!! Wasps predate many of our smaller species and also compete with birds for the same food source. The only way to get rid of them ultimately is genetic. I think when that day comes we will be staggered at the rise in invertebrate and bird populations in our back country.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #33 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
bufferzone wrote on Apr 10th, 2018 at 3:10pm:
yeh, PLEASE! don't use any sort of sugar base for your poison.
concerned beekeeper.

yes I can see problem if you are setting baits out in open etc but lobbing a package into of very very near a nest should eliminate risk to bees.... those hot bummed little german sewing machines will vacume up anything in no time and take it into nest,even if it had immediate 100% kill of wasps there would be stuff all left to put bees at risk....if they would even go near a dead nest site.

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #34 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:26am
Print Post  
I have had a problem with the yellow peril that made a nest on the roof.
Surpriseing enough I got rid of them by spraying spider spray on the nest. Knocked them arse over tit

IP Logged

levactn

Be prepared-in & out of
season

Reply #35 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
A while back someone on this forum mentioned a particular poison mixed with a coupla sardines - if every hunter laid a couple of these baits surely there must be a decline in nests? Or as mentioned why doesn't DOC supply this poison to every hunter/tramper  thats willing to place them ...? cost them zilch!

sometimes i sits & thinks, & sometimes i just sits. never miss a good chance to shut-up
when your dead you don't know your dead. All the pain is felt by others. Same thing happens when your stupid!

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #36 - May 24th, 2018 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I've walked a few tracks in Nelson Lakes and Abel Tasman National Parks this summer and DOC has put wasp bait stations along a lot of tracks. Few to no wasps about in these areas once they have been treated.
Maybe the increased funding for DOC will mean more wasp control.

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Forum Senior

Reply #37 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Info about the new wasp bait and stations at this link:

https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/pests-and-threats/methods-of-control/wasp-control...

Could easily be done by trapping contractors while they go about their business of trapping.

Of course, DOC will have to start employing trappers before they can control wasps over large areas. Unfortunately, aerial 1080 isn't very effective at controlling wasps.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #38 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Marty Foote wrote on Jul 13th, 2018 at 10:25pm:

https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/pests-and-threats/methods-of-control/wasp-control...

Could easily be done by trapping contractors while they go about their business of trapping.

Of course, DOC will have to start employing trappers before they can control wasps over large areas. Unfortunately, aerial 1080 isn't very effective at controlling wasps.

do wasps feed on possum carcass?  would be easy enough to spinkle/paint on a bit of active ingredient aswell

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Forum Senior

Reply #39 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Jul 15th, 2018 at 3:59pm:
Marty Foote wrote on Jul 13th, 2018 at 10:25pm:

do wasps feed on possum carcass?  would be easy enough to spinkle/paint on a bit of active ingredient aswell

Yes, wasps will feed on possum carcasses. Wasps will feed on any protein rich food when they need protein for the development of the young wasps.

When wasps reach their highest densities they are considered to be the N0.1 predator as they not only feed on other insects they also kill bird chicks on the nest. The raiding of the honey dew is only a part of the wasp diet.

I heard a DOC scientist, interviewed on RNZ, and he said that wasps can reach a bio-mass of more than the total bio-mass of all the introduced animals in the native bush. Individual wasps may be small, however, their combined weight, bio-mass and predator status can place them well above all the possums, rats, stoats, cats, ferrets, hedgehogs, etc as far as damage to native species go.

As for the idea of adding wasp poison to possum carcasses, this would, not only, poison the wasps, but, also everything else that would feed on the carcasses.

There was an experimental programme where 1080 was added to canned sardines, with the initial results looking good for controlling wasps. I never heard why this 1080 option was shelved.

This new wasp deal seems to be ideal, as the bait is only presented when wasps are feeding on protein, is presented in a way that targets wasps and is only available for the few days it takes to control the wasps.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #40 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 11:15am
Print Post  
didnt really think about what else might eat the carcass. and I had a good read up last year on the vespex,  the only downfall I see is how to blanket cover the area in the right timeframe, thats alot of legs needed allthough I guess a phased approach will be taken over a long period.

I used to hunt quite a few areas up there and some spots you wouldnt dare go in the summer months due to wasps,  would be good to see them dealt to thats for sure.

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Forum Senior

Reply #41 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 11:59am
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Jul 16th, 2018 at 11:15am:
didnt really think about what else might eat the carcass. and I had a good read up last year on the vespex,  the only downfall I see is how to blanket cover the area in the right timeframe, thats alot of legs needed allthough I guess a phased approach will be taken over a long period.

I used to hunt quite a few areas up there and some spots you wouldnt dare go in the summer months due to wasps,  would be good to see them dealt to thats for sure.

One of the positives for employing trappers is that they are already working in the bush and have established permanent trap-lines. After the trap-lines have been set up the trappers are carrying very little into the bush and could easily set up wasp bait stations at very little additional cost.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards