Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Wasps killing birds (Read 17135 times)
TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Re: Wasps killing birds
Reply #15 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Wasps are vegetarians, shit some of them obviously didnt get the e-mail on that.

Either that or my hind quarters were raped by a herd of the young f**kers on the piss

IP Logged

Duxbac

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 9:26am
Print Post  
If this is true? Heard years ago that the Government bought in the wasp to kill the white butterfly caterpillar, true or false? if so this should be on the Government to get rid of them.

AIM  
IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
wasps are a super efficient insect, a very effective hunter gatherer, interesting wahooman

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #18 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
wahooman wrote on Oct 13th, 2016 at 5:34pm:
Everything in Nature has a purpose. Wasps, bees and ants produce forms of formic acid, as does stinging nettle.( ever noticed that stinging nettle feels the same as a wasp or bee sting, well it's the same chemical). All life needs formic acid and all things that take have to give. So while it seems wasps do a lot of taking, they actually give back an essential element to all life.
Why are wasps abundant in the back country?
As far as I know the only source of formic acid in native flora and fauna is the nettle which may not be a very efficient way of dispensing it.( Romans grew stinging nettle to alleviate muscle pain after long marches, try it some time).. Honey bees cannot survive in the high country because the summer's are too short and nectar sources limited. They have to store a lot of honey to survive the winters.Wasps on the other hand die off over winter so don't have the food storage problem. In Autumn wasp nests produce queens that hibernate over the winter months and start a new nest in spring.
Scientists in NZ are working on all sorts of nasty things to get rid of wasps, but they don't understand the role that wasps have. More poisons, more genetic engineering.
Another aspect of wasps is that they have the potential to control wood boring insect outbreaks. These insects sometimes get to high numbers that cause tree mortality. With wasps needing protein for larvae( adult wasps are actually vegetarians), they could act as a limiting factor by harvesting the beetles at certain critical times.
Rather than seeing wasps as a nuisance, I see them as guardians of the forest. Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change.

If that is true then they are policing their role a little too liberally for me.  Smiley
They are an invasive species and the main reason they don't die off in NZ is because our winters are not cold enough. I learned this from attending a talk given in Seattle by a ranger/scientist, although I think it is common enough knowledge here in NZ.
Also bees did survive in our high country during the winter, at least prior to the arrival of wasps and varroa mite.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #19 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 9:37am
Print Post  
The little buggers don't quite die off in Winter for sure. Been dozing out rotten log piles and every now and then I get a wee flurry of activity Cheesy Nothing like late summer though Shocked when you have to be wearing bee gear to stay safe.

Biggest surprise was the number of mice dashing for cover Sad They don't dash quite quick enough for third gear Cheesy

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Seen them kill a horse many years ago - heard the noise and poked my head over the fence. Poor bugger must have stood in a ground nest and they swarmed out and attacked. By the time I got to see what was happening they'd swarmed his head and neck and he'd gone into absolute panic. After a while his heart gave out and he collapsed.
Like a lot of others - I've been chased of a carcase in the Kaimanawa's whilst butchering - I can do without them.

IP Logged

DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter)
Forum Senior

I Love inspirational quotes

Reply #21 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Heard that is how dinosaurs became extinct

IP Logged

duckman

Reply #22 - Nov 28th, 2016 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Everything in Nature has a purpose. Wasps, bees and ants produce forms of formic acid, as does stinging nettle.( ever noticed that stinging nettle feels the same as a wasp or bee sting, well it's the same chemical). All life needs formic acid and all things that take have to give. So while it seems wasps do a lot of taking, they actually give back an essential element to all life.
As far as I know the only source of formic acid in native flora and fauna is the nettle which may not be a very efficient way of dispensing it.( Romans grew stinging nettle to alleviate muscle pain after long marches, try it some time).. Honey bees cannot survive in the high country because the summer's are too short and nectar sources limited. They have to store a lot of honey to survive the winters.Wasps on the other hand die off over winter so don't have the food storage problem. In Autumn wasp nests produce queens that hibernate over the winter months and start a new nest in spring.
Scientists in NZ are working on all sorts of nasty things to get rid of wasps, but they don't understand the role that wasps have. More poisons, more genetic engineering.
Another aspect of wasps is that they have the potential to control wood boring insect outbreaks. These insects sometimes get to high numbers that cause tree mortality. With wasps needing protein for larvae( adult wasps are actually vegetarians), they could act as a limiting factor by harvesting the beetles at certain critical times.
Rather than seeing wasps as a nuisance, I see them as guardians of the forest. Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change.

Wahooman what a load of absolute rubbish German and common wasps are introduced and have no place at all in our forests biggest load of bullshit I have read in a long time

IP Logged

levactn

Be prepared-in & out of
season

Reply #23 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 5:01am
Print Post  
when DOC used to post permits I suggested they put a quantity of insecticide with permit for hunter to apply to doorstep of nest. I've sat the Vertex test & paid the $$ & yes it is an expensive item & not easily shipped up to the north Island for health & safety transporting reasons! But I voluntered to DOC my time & expense if they supplied me with bait  id do both sides of the Waipakihi river & other places in that vicinity, but I was kind fobbed off! Perhaps I could get donations from the forum...? About now wasps will be flying off from their nest, these will be pregnant queens, (if you spot a large solitary wasp in your wood heap etc they sting! but do your interpretation of Irish dancing on said head!!) That queen is possibly 1 of a possable 1000 queens leaving a single nest - do your arithmetic on that one!that's why nov to about now wasps are aggressive but once the queens leave they tone it down a tad... Roll Eyes Quote vertex!!

you never forget a person who came to you with a torch in the dark.  COURAGE: is knowing it might hurt, & doing it anyway. STUPIDITY is the same & thats why life is hard!

IP Logged

levactn

Be prepared-in & out of
season

Reply #24 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 5:05am
Print Post  
While Im on this "late" topic. My thought as to why the wasp No's are so big is because they need to collect protein for their larvae, so moths n aphids n caterpillars etc are a ready source so is 1080 'd animals! & there is no shortage of that! are wasps immune to 1080...? are they gonna mutate...? will we be next...? think I'd better mow me lawns!!! Cheesy

you never forget a person who came to you with a torch in the dark.  COURAGE: is knowing it might hurt, & doing it anyway. STUPIDITY is the same & thats why life is hard!

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #25 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 11:00am
Print Post  

Saw on YouTube bloke using WD40 on wasps claiming significant success.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
after filliting a small trout on the side of my trailer over christmas period and seeing the absolute feeding frenzy that took place on remains by hundreds of very agro wasps...this after having killed out 10 nests from around area(mates house) it really got me thinking how well a fella would fare if you tipped over up in the bush and broke leg badly and had a large quantity of blood on n around you if nest or nests were close by.....
you cant run away and they can smell you..... the chopper might get to you in time if you set off epirb but it could be a very dodgy situation,swat one wasp and they sting and it sets off chain reaction.... before long you would be like the horse SF90 mentioned and then if skin open you start to be carted away in little hunks .....
killed 3 nests while stalking over easter weekend. more wasp powder in my daybag now..... kill em all.

had a thought on the hard to reach nests/very active ones......
put powder/poison on a tissue say heaped spoonfull,then drizzle condensed milk over it,wrap up tissue a little and lob it right into mouth of nest or as close to it as you can get...... wee plastic wrapped jam serving came to mind too. wasps will smell and eat it and that close to nest entrance bees sure wont go near....what you fellas reckon????

IP Logged

MeatHunta
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 3:03am
Print Post  
•      German wasp (Vespula germanica) arrived about 1940
•      Common wasp (Vespula vulgaris) discovered 1983
•      Common wasps almost completely replaced German wasps by 1990
[Bandits of the Beech Forest, Wild South Documentary]

•      Wasps have been observed to kill newborn birds.
[Moller, H. (1990). Wasps kill nestling birds. Notornis 37: 76-77]

•      Worker wasps have very few enzymes in their guts, so they cannot digest much of the food they gather. They bring the raw food into the nest and pass it to other workers who feed the hungry larvae. In return, the larvae release a creamy blob of predigested "soup" that contains all the sustenance the worker needs. This type of food exchange is called "trophollaxic feeding", and is a key part of the social contact between workers and the developing young.
•      Queens produce a pheromone (insect-produced chemical substances that release certain specific behaviour patterns) that regulates worker behaviour and inhibits the development of their sexual organs. Wasps also produce an "alarm pheromone" that stimulates a general state of alarm in the colony and releases aggressive behaviour towards an intruder. Rapid wing beats also function as an alarm signal stimulating other wasps to defend the nest.
[http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/research/biocons/invertebrates/Wasps/faq.asp]

•      Workers will also hunt arthropods, including flies, mosquitoes and caterpillars to feed their wasp larvae which require a protein rich diet
[http://www.padil.gov.au/viewPest.aspx?id=795]

•      At the peak of the wasp season we predict caterpillars would have virtually no chance (probability of 10-78 to 10-40) of surviving to adults. Wasp abundance must be reduced by at least 88% to conserve the more vulnerable species of free-living caterpillars at wasp densities similar to those observed in our study sites.
•      Our models show that most Lepidoptera with spring caterpillars will be able to persist, but species with caterpillars occurring in the peak wasp season will be eliminated.
[Beggs, J.R. and Rees, J.S. (1999). Restructuring of Lepidoptera communities by introduced Vespula wasps in New Zealand beech forest. Oecologia 119: 565-571.]

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #28 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 3:35am
Print Post  
Best to use meat as the bait isnt it? Then no risk of killing bees.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

MeatHunta
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Fish cat food  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards