Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Wasps killing birds (Read 7403 times)
Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Wasps killing birds
Dec 18th, 2015 at 4:04am
Print Post  
I have had two emails  in regards to my press release about the wasps menace. They talked about wasps killing fledgling birds. One from a game bird breeder and one from a concerned tramper who watched a number of wasps (through his binos) attacking the eyes of a baby bird in a nest and killing it and then carting the flesh off.
Has anyone else seen this or have any photos of it.... or something like....

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Re: Wasps killing birds
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Seen them on a crippled waxeye which they demolished. You know what they do to a carcass hung up in the bush. Seem to become demonised when they are eating meat.

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 5:56am
Print Post  
Thanks for that...

IP Logged

trippin ova
Forum Senior

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Good news about Vespex becoming widely available now to individuals who complete their online test

IP Logged

madfish71
Donor Member

243 rules!!

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 3:16am
Print Post  
trippin ova wrote on Dec 31st, 2015 at 12:23am:
Good news about Vespex becoming widely available now to individuals who complete their online test

MMM..Individuals  that have to pay to do it and then buy the stuff...cant see the average joe blog that could kill thousands of wasps doing that thou unless its free

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Im thinking the forum could start a campaign to supply hunters with a few baits to be laid during the roar... we cant wait for DOC...

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 2:12am
Print Post  
found/walked past half dozen nests yesterday in beech forest,wouldv'e been easy to drop a prepared bait into mouth of nest on way past...the hum of wings just on daylight was unreal and it was a relief to get higher up in bush past where they are thickest.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 5:59am
Print Post  
yeah birds but what about geckos? wetas? bats? , um

IP Logged

madfish71
Donor Member

243 rules!!

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Alan wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 12:21am:
Im thinking the forum could start a campaign to supply hunters with a few baits to be laid during the roar... we cant wait for DOC...

Great idea, i be keen. Thousands of wasps around here, was thinking i do the test, if DOC come up with some bait and i happierly do it around here

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
good luck,

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 12:19am
Print Post  
"Something" has caused a massive imbalance in the ecosystem to create this problem.

If you don't know it all, then you don't know what you don't know.

IP Logged

el_trout_whisperer
Forum Senior

Embracing nature's beat
down with Spartan reserve

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 3:28am
Print Post  
The wasp numbers in Lewis Pass were really few when I was there recently, I was pleasantly surprised. Not sure if the cold has knocked them back already?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:18am
Print Post  
anyone got the skinny on the possum trapper who got hit really badly and was saved by guys nearby with Adrenalin??????

IP Logged

wahooman
Just Joined

Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Everything in Nature has a purpose. Wasps, bees and ants produce forms of formic acid, as does stinging nettle.( ever noticed that stinging nettle feels the same as a wasp or bee sting, well it's the same chemical). All life needs formic acid and all things that take have to give. So while it seems wasps do a lot of taking, they actually give back an essential element to all life.
Why are wasps abundant in the back country?
As far as I know the only source of formic acid in native flora and fauna is the nettle which may not be a very efficient way of dispensing it.( Romans grew stinging nettle to alleviate muscle pain after long marches, try it some time).. Honey bees cannot survive in the high country because the summer's are too short and nectar sources limited. They have to store a lot of honey to survive the winters.Wasps on the other hand die off over winter so don't have the food storage problem. In Autumn wasp nests produce queens that hibernate over the winter months and start a new nest in spring.
Scientists in NZ are working on all sorts of nasty things to get rid of wasps, but they don't understand the role that wasps have. More poisons, more genetic engineering.
Another aspect of wasps is that they have the potential to control wood boring insect outbreaks. These insects sometimes get to high numbers that cause tree mortality. With wasps needing protein for larvae( adult wasps are actually vegetarians), they could act as a limiting factor by harvesting the beetles at certain critical times.
Rather than seeing wasps as a nuisance, I see them as guardians of the forest. Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
wahooman wrote on Oct 13th, 2016 at 4:34am:
Everything in Nature has a purpose. Wasps, bees and ants produce forms of formic acid, as does stinging nettle.( ever noticed that stinging nettle feels the same as a wasp or bee sting, well it's the same chemical). All life needs formic acid and all things that take have to give. So while it seems wasps do a lot of taking, they actually give back an essential element to all life.
Why are wasps abundant in the back country?
As far as I know the only source of formic acid in native flora and fauna is the nettle which may not be a very efficient way of dispensing it.( Romans grew stinging nettle to alleviate muscle pain after long marches, try it some time).. Honey bees cannot survive in the high country because the summer's are too short and nectar sources limited. They have to store a lot of honey to survive the winters.Wasps on the other hand die off over winter so don't have the food storage problem. In Autumn wasp nests produce queens that hibernate over the winter months and start a new nest in spring.
Scientists in NZ are working on all sorts of nasty things to get rid of wasps, but they don't understand the role that wasps have. More poisons, more genetic engineering.
Another aspect of wasps is that they have the potential to control wood boring insect outbreaks. These insects sometimes get to high numbers that cause tree mortality. With wasps needing protein for larvae( adult wasps are actually vegetarians), they could act as a limiting factor by harvesting the beetles at certain critical times.
Rather than seeing wasps as a nuisance, I see them as guardians of the forest. Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change.

Those bastards that chased me into the river trying to devour the meat that I was trying to salvage off a dead Red were the weirdest phucking vegetarians I have ever seen.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards