Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Camo (Read 949 times)
Quintin
Just Joined

Aim small, hit small!

Camo
Dec 14th, 2015 at 5:42am
Print Post  
Hi everyone,

Just wanting some guidance on camo, so I have a couple of questions:

1. What is a good summer's outfit for camo?  Do you still use full length gear?
2.  Does everyone just have one set that they mainly use or different sets for different environments (within NZ)?
3.  Do you recommend spending more the first time you buy camo to buy good stuff or will the cheaper stuff work?
4.  Any brands that you recommend?
5.  Feel free to flick some photos on here of full camo gear to give newbies like me an idea...

Cheers for the help

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Re: Camo
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 6:24am
Print Post  
I've been using camo for a year since I started bow hunting.  Heres my answers:

1. My como gear is lightweight so fine for Sumner.  In winter I wear warmer gear underneath, I got a size big enough for this.
2. Yes.
3. I got cheap stuff (Hunters Element from Gun City) but regret it.  Should of got top of the range gear.
4. Hunters Element on special if you want cheap  Smiley

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 6:38am
Print Post  
the camo doesnt maketh the hunter, the first stag an pig i put arrows in i wasnt wearing any camo at all an no face veil or gloves, the stag was 20 yards an the pig was maybe 10. animals will pick up movement a whole lot faster than what colour, pattern or material you are wearing. also if your making a lot of noise or the wind is swirling then the animals will bugger off before they see you. that said tho camo might buy you valuable seconds when you need it to get an arrow on its way, covering the glare from your face an hands will help more then the latest hecs suit with the right digi camo pattern, also the tactics you employ to get withing bow range matters a great deal more than clothing manufacturers would have you believe. hahahaha i bowhunt in camo head to toe, but worn old gear just so i look the part. wouldnt want to be confused with a hunting clothing catalogue model lmao

IP Logged

stickshooter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 6:38am
Print Post  
I'm agree with Awaterelad,I'v got stoney creek micro tough gear replaced a pair of pants after 10 years ripped the arse out jumping a barbed wire fence Grin
the rest is good as new.
I don't wear camo in public,that's as bad as shopping in ya onesies Grin

cheers
Nigel
IP Logged

Klausi15
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Hello, I usually choose some blaze orange top and buff/cap (both blaze as well) and the rest is green. The last time I went out with the bow I had the blaze buff covered my face and I was on to a goat before I found out that it was a nanny with a very small kid. I crunched down and since the wind was right the nanny came up to me and nearly touched me with her nose. Not much of my face was exposed and maybe that made it difficult for the animal to know what I was (maybe she thought I could be a tasty gorse bush).
As with many things people will have a wide range of opinions and experience and for me it is just a bit more important to be seen by potential others, especially when I am close to an animal.

IP Logged

burger

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
How do u guys find kuiu and sitka and the new stoney creek gear on with game

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards