Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Kahawai (Read 2144 times)
Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Kahawai
Nov 8th, 2015 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
It takes a lot to get me interested in a fishing book these days...Over the years I have read a lot of them and many just bore me....how many more stories of people catching fish can you tolerate!!!
kahawai.jpgI tend to thumb through them however this book turned out to be very different. I could not put it down. it is a good read with lots of very interesting history and information. This is one book I would thoroughly recommend and strangely enough it is about a  much maligned species that I too thoroughly recommend both in catching and eating..
Alan Simmons

.......................... Book Description......................
Kahawai means ‘strong in the water’. Long sought after by Maori, these beautiful, fighting fish are second only to snapper as New Zealand’s most caught recreational fish species. You can still readily catch kahawai from the shore and at tidal river mouths, with a bag limit of 20 fish and no minimum size, while out on the water ‘work-ups’, the feeding frenzies where huge numbers of these fish go wild chasing prey, are legend among fishers.

Kahawai: The people’s fish is Gerard Hindmarsh’s celebration of this often under-appreciated fish. With history, information on biology and behaviour, plenty of fishing stories, vital tips on how best to catch them, details on how to prepare them for eating and smoking them, this book will tell you everything you need to know about kahawai.

But perhaps one of the most useful and attractive aspects of this book are over 30 recipes from Melanie Walker. Kahawai deserves a better reputation as an eating fish, as prepared properly, it is delicious. These recipes cover everything from using smoked kahawai, through to how to prepare risottos and fish cakes.

Kahawai truly is the people’s fish, and this book is the complete guide for all New Zealand fishers, boaties, foodies and anyone else who appreciates and treasures our marine environment.

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards