Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) New Restrictions on DOC Permits (Read 13425 times)
Tararua Hunter
Ex Member

Re: New Restrictions on DOC Permits
Reply #30 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm wondering how this would effect people who use night time capable optics - like digital scopes and thermal. Both can be legitimately used for day time hunting, dawn and dusk hunting, but both are capable of being used at night. Most if not all have an in-built IR illuminator.

doubt DOC staff will know what they are Roll Eyes

IP Logged

madfish71
Donor Member

243 rules!!

Reply #31 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:
I'm wondering how this would effect people who use night time capable optics - like digital scopes and thermal. Both can be legitimately used for day time hunting, dawn and dusk hunting, but both are capable of being used at night. Most if not all have an in-built IR illuminator.

doubt DOC staff will know what they are Roll Eyes

+1 Grin Grin

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #32 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Having assisted DOC operations against spot lighters during my time on the East Coast including a stint at Waikeremoana there is a huge difference from a serious spotlighter and average hunter walking at night after a hunt - you're overthinking it. Also DOC are covering their collective backsides in relation to Health and Safety. I'm pretty sure the Police would look at all circumstances and I'm bloody sure you won't find too many officers working any further than a road end, not withstanding I'd pipe up in a hut if a group were deliberately planning a spotlighting trip in public land - yeah I might be a Cnut to some for speaking up but ethics and safety are paramount. Spotlighting on private land is still subject to safety - there's not many places I would do it these days - I understand Helisika will ban you if they catch you - admittedly ACT were OK with it so long as you told the pilots re the batterys. But those days are gone - again the small minority have forced those in charge to make rules to cover themselves, such is life!!!

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

pantom2

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #33 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Radar wrote on Nov 5th, 2015 at 10:21am:
Having assisted DOC operations against spot lighters during my time on the East Coast including a stint at Waikeremoana there is a huge difference from a serious spotlighter and average hunter walking at night after a hunt - you're overthinking it. Also DOC are covering their collective backsides in relation to Health and Safety. I'm pretty sure the Police would look at all circumstances and I'm bloody sure you won't find too many officers working any further than a road end, not withstanding I'd pipe up in a hut if a group were deliberately planning a spotlighting trip in public land - yeah I might be a Cnut to some for speaking up but ethics and safety are paramount. Spotlighting on private land is still subject to safety - there's not many places I would do it these days - I understand Helisika will ban you if they catch you - admittedly ACT were OK with it so long as you told the pilots re the batterys. But those days are gone - again the small minority have forced those in charge to make rules to cover themselves, such is life!!!

+ 1 Radar  Cool

I think some people just like to whinge

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #34 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Radar made an interesting comment about spotlighting private lands. Being from an aviation background myself, the days of spotlighting from a heli are well and truly gone....public lands..eh 80's. I would be speculating that any aerial permit issued nowadays would exclude 'spotlighting' on public lands from a heli to be fair to the new conditions for the 'ground hunter'?

IP Logged

Yukon_NZ
Donor Member

I love huntin', fishin',
and quality toys.

Reply #35 - Dec 12th, 2015 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
madfish71 wrote on Nov 1st, 2015 at 3:01pm:
4.The following activities are strictly prohibited under this Permit during the hours of darkness (½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise): ◦discharging a firearm
◦use of spotlights, torches, vehicle headlights, or any other artificial light source
◦use of night vision equipment, infra red and heat detecting devices.

5.Attaching a torch or other light source to a firearm is prohibited

So the new rules are even without a firearm, you not allow to use night vision equipment, spotlights  or torches to search around for game even if you are just looking and have no firearm with you.
(clearly because I suppose you could of ditched the firearm)
Whats  the story if Im a tramper, have no hunting permit, and wandering around in DOC with a spotlight or night vision.??    Is their different rules for one and not the other.??
Whats this mean if im hunting way out in the back country, right on dark, and walk out later back down the track in the dark back to my car .
Clearly im not hunting, but if using a torch to get my way out, hear a nosie and shine the torch up the hill and get seen by a DOC worker have I breached my permit???
How about thermal gear that some use during daylight...can younow not take in bush incase you get delayed and walk out in the dark and get found with it at carpark ???
S

I have been liaising with the Department of Conservation regarding this, and have been assured that the use of this equipment is permitted, as long as it is not used for the purpose of hunting between 1/2hr after sunset - 1/2hr before sunrise.

Yes, thermal imagers (at least ours anyway) are very useful during daylight.

Visit this link for information about the DOC permit addition:

http://yukonoptics.co.nz/topics.html

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards