Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) New Restrictions on DOC Permits (Read 13729 times)
Tikka T3
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: New Restrictions on DOC Permits
Reply #15 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 8:27am
Print Post  
It's quite a well thought out peice of legislation.......for DoC that is especially since it concerns hunters and hunting..

The important piece that has been missed is Quote:
5.Attaching a torch or other light source to a firearm is prohibited

So quite simply if you have a firearm and a torch unattached to the other it is not spotlighting.  Obviously if there is more than one person, spotlighting could take place but no law will cover all bases.

Any law is useless if unenforcible and the attaching of a torch to a firearm draws a clear line between being able to enforce the no spotlighting law or not.

It still allows hunters to acces and leave their hunting area by torchlight and even to shine a light around out of curiosity. It's surprising that DoC even took the hunters interest into consideration on that.

When did I realise I was God? While I was praying I realised I was talking to myself.

IP Logged

levactn

Be prepared-in & out of
season

Reply #16 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 10:20am
Print Post  
I think DOC are giving themselves more prosecution material, having said that we need a light to get home etc. after dark - but if something "occurs" during this period then they have another tool to hammer us with. So just be careful & sensible & keep away from those hot poaching spots!!

you never forget a person who came to you with a torch in the dark.  COURAGE: is knowing it might hurt, & doing it anyway. STUPIDITY is the same & thats why life is hard!

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
I can't see how putting your question to this forum will bring you a definitive legal answer, unless someone from DOC answers your question, otherwise all answers are based on logic and supposition ,emotion and speculation . I suggest you put your questions to DOC in written form , then supply us with their answers .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

Reply #18 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Or just read the regs and don't overthink things and get on with it.

When did I realise I was God? While I was praying I realised I was talking to myself.

IP Logged

Husky 1600
Donor Member

Reply #19 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
I sometimes use a spotlight to travel up East Coast riverbeds, time is limited so we travel in late on Fri night to make the most of the weekend, and often the track is hard to find so a spotlight is a simple easy way to look around without having to drive all over hell and back. And I have my rifle in the truck, and I have my ammo in the truck - but both are usually well out of the way and not loaded. And I sometimes see deer, or possums and occasionally a tahr. But I aint hunting, or poaching and have no intention of tipping over an animal in the dark, cant be arsed really, just as easy to tip it over in the daylight hours.
Lets see if they want to try and prosecute for that! the bureaucracy BS is just getting way outa hand and as per typical DoC, they cant see their arse for their elbow!

IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #20 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Husky 1600 wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 1:23pm:
I sometimes use a spotlight to travel up East Coast riverbeds, time is limited so we travel in late on Fri night to make the most of the weekend, and often the track is hard to find so a spotlight is a simple easy way to look around without having to drive all over hell and back. And I have my rifle in the truck, and I have my ammo in the truck - but both are usually well out of the way and not loaded. And I sometimes see deer, or possums and occasionally a tahr. But I aint hunting, or poaching and have no intention of tipping over an animal in the dark, cant be arsed really, just as easy to tip it over in the daylight hours.
Lets see if they want to try and prosecute for that! the bureaucracy BS is just getting way outa hand and as per typical DoC, they cant see their arse for their elbow!

Its conjecture. No one knows how this will be regulated or enforced. Its plain intent is stop people from hunting and shooting animals in spotlights and torches on the DOC estate. I support that.

To me, its a reasonable response because we are getting this reputation for shooting other people in spotlights and having near misses on people and property. We bring this shit onto ourselves.

I doubt very much you will be affected  if you are going about something that is lawful and that is not a clear or obvious breach of the terms on the permit.

As for DOC not being able to see their arse for their elbow...what do you think they say about us when they see shot up signs, clean up the our pigs mess in car parks and attend fatal shootings?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Its plain intent is stop people from hunting and shooting animals in spotlights and torches on the DOC estate. I support that.

exactly.
its intended to make it clear about  spotlighting. The previous permits simply mentioned no hunting after dark, or some such. About time, spotlighters on public land are a menace, and legit hunters should support preventing them, or making it easier to prosecute.

Legit hunters going about their lawful business are not likely to be conserned

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #22 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Can't see it being a problem really. There are few situations where we don't travel in the dark during hunting trips. Unless you are up to no good you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

IP Logged

kimjon
Forum Font

Make an effort, not an
excuse

Reply #23 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
I carry a headlamp in my kit bag at all times, (sometimes one of those small ledlenser torches). It's probably my most used thing other than my gps that I carry.

Safety wise I'd never go hunting in the backcountry without a headlamp. But I've never carried a lightforce spotlight with me on public land. There's a big difference between a saftey item like a headlamp and a 1,000,000 candle power spotlight.

Kj

IF WE AREN'T SUPPOSED TO EAT CUTE FLUFFY ANIMALS, THEN WHY ARE THEY MADE OUT OF MEAT?

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #24 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
When I first started hunting I used to walk in at night and although I ate all my carrots I did still use a light of some sort

IP Logged

zamkiwi

Reply #25 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Tikka T3 wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 1:17pm:
Or just read the regs and don't overthink things and get on with it.

Spot on.

If they are trying to catch you they will be watching for a while.
If you have ever been spotlighting you will know that it is bloody obvious what they are up to.

Taking the gun for a walk, oh yeah

IP Logged

Beavis
Forum Font

Eighter's are for haters

Reply #26 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
I'm wondering how this would effect people who use night time capable optics - like digital scopes and thermal. Both can be legitimately used for day time hunting, dawn and dusk hunting, but both are capable of being used at night. Most if not all have an in-built IR illuminator.

IP Logged

Allizdog

Reply #27 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I was under the understanding that spot lighting was forbidden on Doc land anyway? And so it should be. Give real hunters a fair go. But using a small torch or headlamp to find your way back to a hut or camp should be allowed. There's a huge difference (visually) between using a small torch to find your way and shining around a 1000,000 candle power spotlight all over the place. A complete ban on light becomes a safety issue which could mean the difference between life and death. Not to mention cooking a feed with your gas canister in the open. Are you breaking the rules then? Another safety issue if you don't get a hot feed. That's my opinion anyway. Wink

IP Logged

madfish71
Donor Member

243 rules!!

Reply #28 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Beavis wrote on Nov 3rd, 2015 at 6:15pm:
I'm wondering how this would effect people who use night time capable optics - like digital scopes and thermal. Both can be legitimately used for day time hunting, dawn and dusk hunting, but both are capable of being used at night. Most if not all have an in-built IR illuminator.

Sticky question, but it does state you not allowed to USE them during the hours of darkness.
It doesn't state you not allow to have them, so if you hunting the late evening then walking out and not actually using them its pretty difficult for anyone to say you breaking the condations of your permit.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
those possums that love to dance on the hut roof and shit on the porch must be rubbing their greedy wee mits together....anybody gone to Stewart Island and NOT shot a possum or cat?????

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards