Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A home butchery set up (Read 4276 times)
hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

A home butchery set up
Oct 29th, 2015 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
A mate has got some chiller panels for me and wants to build me a chiller using the unit off my present chiller... What a GC I say.  I am thinking I could put the chiller in the shed or I could make something purpose built.

So I am thinking about concreting a pad outside with a chiller perhaps 2m x 1.5 meters.  Pad might be 3m x 5 m.  Having a big stainless bench/sink with a cold smoker underneath the bench.. It's made out of an old stainless steriliser. Drain in the middle of the pad and hose and water handy.  Needs lights for the late night arrivals and a couple of power points for the mincer and small fridge that will get mounted underneath the other end of the bench and sink. Small fridge is for lamb vaccines... Roll Eyes Wink yeah right....
A corrugated roof right over the top of everything.  2x hanging points outside the chiller and one bar inside the chiller.  It's not really suitable to have an offal hole due to proximity of the house.  If I am going to do this I am going to do it properly.

Right... What have I forgotten? Anyone got any photos of a similar set up?

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

Dog Runner
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: A home butchery set up
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 7:31am
Print Post  
12v boat winch to lift carcasses up to chiller height, and rail in?

IP Logged

Lard

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 7:54am
Print Post  
No pics sorry. I built a
2 x 4 chiller room for butchering using panels. Inside is a stainless bench and sink as well as a butcher's block and a sliding rail for hanging  There's power for the vacuum packer and lights. Buy magnetic knife holders for the walls. I built a platform for mine, posts,  bearers and joists.

IP Logged

X R
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Give me a shout if you need some Iron for the roof bro, usually have plenty in the yard.

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Dog Runner wrote on Oct 30th, 2015 at 7:31am:

I have got a spare boat winch that I hadn't thought about using.  I find that rails into the chiller are difficult to manage with doors.  I have got a good pulley system for outside.... I could out the boat winch inside the chiller to pull this big fellas up when I am old and crippled.  Grin

Cheers for that xr... Have got some iron here. Another thought I had was fly screening the outside area but i think more hassle than it's worth.

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Electric fly zapper / fluro bug zapper, easiest way to kill the bastards especially wasps. Plenty of bench space, if you going to run a smoker lots of bench space makes the job alot easier. And if you using a smoker will it be vented ?

IP Logged

BJ

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2015 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
a small meat cutting bandsaw for cutting chops

IP Logged

johnd
Donor Member

I Love The smell of gunpowder

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2015 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
hairy wrote on Oct 30th, 2015 at 10:08am:
Dog Runner wrote on Oct 30th, 2015 at 7:31am:

I have got a spare boat winch that I hadn't thought about using.  I find that rails into the chiller are difficult to manage with doors.  I have got a good pulley system for outside.... I could out the boat winch inside the chiller to pull this big fellas up when I am old and crippled.  Grin

Cheers for that xr... Have got some iron here. Another thought I had was fly screening the outside area but i think more hassle than it's worth.

I think there is  perforated corrugate that could work for fly screen and still serve a structral purpose

IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 8:00am
Print Post  
I am thinking about something similar Hairy.

I can't figure out a decent door though.  I guess a panel with the door cut out would suffice, possibly make the jamb out of angle alloy with a bolt type lock on it. Then for air tightness some sort of foam/rubber strip?

What are your ideas?

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 10:57am
Print Post  
I am going to have a chiller with a normal door and then just an outdoor area that I might just have to put up with flys over summer. I was thinking about timber framing with screen over if and whatever type of door on it... Even an interior house door as long as it was out of the weather but I think I am just going to go for the open air version at the moment.

YouTube  
IP Logged

gooseman
Forum Senior

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Hairy what you need is an outside rail that ends before the arc that the door swings and your rail inside the fridge at the same height as the outside one and make a bridge with another piece of rail that slots in somehow to join the 2 rails when the door is open. Easy as saves a lot of lifting and that way the door seals tight with no holes above the door. make the rail supported strong to take the weight of muiltable kills. Suggest you put an anchor point somewhere on the floor outside so you can tie the front legs down of the deer and use motor power to pull the skin off all the deer. That's planning ahead for when you are old and the young feller isn't around to do it for you Grin

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 10:33am
Print Post  
That's planning ahead alright gooseman.  I could even use my boat Winch for that I guess....  I think I am going to have to go hi tech and draw a plan before I start.  Grin

YouTube  
IP Logged

gooseman
Forum Senior

Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
only problem with a drawn plan is you have to be prepared to change it as you go along as other ideas seem to come out of the woodwork in the dead of the night Smiley

IP Logged

300wsm for life
Donor Member

I Live for the Nelson
Lakes

Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
My mate made one out of chiller pannels but didn't use them on the base. He sat it on a purpose built concrete pad with a sloped floor to a drain. Makes cleaning easy and won't effect temp of chiller. Your mate is a GC.

IP Logged

squeka

Having a crack

Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Cut a slot above the door where your rail runs from inside the chiller to the outside. Use heavy rubber like rubber belts as flaps  against the rail, it will keep the chiller air tight but will allow the skids to pass over the rail with ease. Beats having to muck around with 2 separate  rails.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards