Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Caseys Hut, Arthurs Pass - Burnt Down (Read 4406 times)
Hamish.
Forum Font

Solo

Caseys Hut, Arthurs Pass - Burnt Down
Oct 10th, 2015 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Just saw that Caseys Hut in the Poulter River, Arthurs Pass has burnt down.

Anyone know what happened?

IP Logged

footsore
Forum Senior

Hunting - Cultural Immersion
in the Wilderness

Re: Caseys Hut, Arthurs Pass - Burnt Down
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 8:16am
Print Post  
I only know what was reported in the paper and the Wilderness Magazine. The fire appeared to have started near the hut entrance or woodstove. It was discovered by trampers, still smouldering on 03/10/15.

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Probably ashes emptied outside.  Was very windy at the time and everything is highly flammable in the spring.  We were a valley over at the time and the wind was a PIA for 5 days solid.

IP Logged

footsore
Forum Senior

in the Wilderness

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
DOC are proposing not to replace Casey Hut in Arthur's Pass NP. I personally would like to see it rebuilt [or perhaps another hut being moved to the site] as it is on a route with low saddles that has long served as an introduction tramp for Canterbury folk first venturing into the outdoors.
I lack the knowhow of how to put a link in here ..but for those interested ..if you go to the 'NZ Tramper' forum you will find a thread on the topic and can submit your views to DOC via a questionnaire

IP Logged

MeatHunta
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 7:25am
Print Post  
footsore wrote on Mar 2nd, 2016 at 6:07pm:
DOC are proposing not to replace Casey Hut in Arthur's Pass NP. I personally would like to see it rebuilt [or perhaps another hut being moved to the site] as it is on a route with low saddles that has long served as an introduction tramp for Canterbury folk first venturing into the outdoors.
I lack the knowhow of how to put a link in here ..but for those interested ..if you go to the 'NZ Tramper' forum you will find a thread on the topic and can submit your views to DOC via a questionnaire

Here's the link
Casey hut

IP Logged

footsore
Forum Senior

in the Wilderness

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Cheers MH

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 7:17am
Print Post  
NZDA have been all over this with DOC and their refusal to replace the Casey hut. We're imploring our members, and its good advise for all hunters, when you visit a DOC hunt, even if passing through please put your name in the book. Just say you're visiting/tramping/passing through. This way DOC can't say the hut isn't used. And if nothing else, if you went missing, they would have a reference point where you did visit.

DOC would rather spend their tiny penny pot on 1080 and the great walks.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

spearo
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Would I imagine, have been one of the more higher usage huts in APNP.
Wonder what their logic is in not replacing it??

IP Logged

MeatHunta
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Hamilton hut provides "similar services"    Huh

IP Logged

footsore
Forum Senior

in the Wilderness

Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
I had heard that DOC were considering relocating the Trust Poulter Hut to the Caseys site. Personally I would like to see a new larger capacity hut as this is a very popular tramp. It's a great 'nursery route'  -not too demanding for new hikers.

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Their excuse is the last book burned in the hut and the previous book they have shows little usage. So they are using it as an excuse to save money.. Lips Sealed

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #11 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
footsore wrote on Aug 4th, 2016 at 5:11pm:
I had heard that DOC were considering relocating the Trust Poulter Hut to the Caseys site. Personally I would like to see a new larger capacity hut as this is a very popular tramp. It's a great 'nursery route'  -not too demanding for new hikers.

A few years ago I believe DoC were going to remove Trust hut ? Something about upkeep being to expensive which is funny as I do not recall them doing anything to it apart from putting in a broken window. I believe the same excuse was used to remove Hellelulea [sp] hut ?

It certainly is one of the highest usage huts in APNP. I have been there many times and it is the floor, outside or move on and hope Trust has a bunk.

If this hut was on a great walk where tourists used it the place would of been replaced double quick and gold plated taps used !

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #12 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 6:56am
Print Post  
footsore wrote on Aug 4th, 2016 at 5:11pm:

Nope.  Poulter hut will be moved down to a new site close to the original Casey.  Trust Poulter will remain where it belongs and actually get the use it deserves.  Plenty of hut space in the valley just needs re-jigging a little.  With Poulter moved it will be easier to get money for "repairs and maintenance" and not attract the show stopping capital charge.
If you don't like it that DoC's budget can't carry the extra capital charges for new huts lobby your local MP to get treasury to drop the capital charge and we'll get back to more $300,000 huts real quick Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards