Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sika Show Comments and ideas for the next 10 years (Read 5284 times)
Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Sika Show Comments and ideas for the next 10 years
Sep 29th, 2015 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Mark Bridgman the organiser for the show is asking for constructive criticism of the show and ideas as they plan for a bigger show next year and then maybe to a whole new concept.
Please be constructive. Say what you don't like and also praise what you like. And give him your thoughts on the future and what he could do to make it better ...
Alan

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
IP Logged

MADNESS
Forum Font

Re: Sika Show Comments and ideas for the next 10 years
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 3:52am
Print Post  
I thought the way the heads were displayed was excellent. A big improvement on last year  Cool

My only complaint would be the lack of placings in some categories.
I feel there should be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd placing for each section.
The junior and women's sections only have a 1st place.
There were a few nice heads shot by juniors and women last year and again this year that didn't get any recognition. If you want to encourage juniors and women to enter you need more than just a 1st placing.
The 2nd!and 3rd placings don't have to be an expensive prize maybe a pola fleece tee or something similar, I'm sure some of the clothing brands at the show would be happy to donate a few to the prize pool.

Next year with it being 100% on line entry. Mark will know well before the show how many heads will be entered in each section so it will be easy to work out that in some cases maybe only be 1 or 2 heads are entered for a certain category and there maybe half a dozen for another so wouldn't be hard to plan for that some categories only need 1 or 2 placings and others a top 3

Despite the rising cost of living it still remains popular

IP Logged

Hydro
Donor Member

Born to Hunt

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 4:23am
Print Post  
Was there for Saturday afternoon & Sunday morning. Another great show. Always enjoy attending for the social aspect / heads entered / potential bargain(s) / weekend away from the norm.

Potential improvements:
> Display board (large) at entry area, showing location of each exhibitor, etc. Note one may have been there, but I didn't see it!
> Larger floor area for all the exhibitors, etc., to create space among all the visitors as they move around all the stalls, etc.

Cheers, Hydro.   Smiley

IP Logged

Sikakila
Donor Member

'Every day above ground..is
a good day!

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Great show this year..well organised.
Heads were displayed really well.

A flyer upon entry marking out where and what each stall is.

Online sales please !
Create an eftpos entry only,a cash line only and an online entry only.

More room in the 'passageways' between stalls,if the same venue is to be used then mabe put another couple of those monster tents up out the front for stall holders?
What about a longer opening time ..8am to 8pm,that would help thin the crowds.
Apart from that...shithot!

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2015 at 3:07am
Print Post  
The show is great and I think it is big enough and so popular now, that a showgrounds type venue could be considered. This would allow more space, better opportunities for conversations and demonstrations between exhibitors and visitors, with a country fair type atmosphere. This type of venue might also allow more opportunity for outdoor cooking shows, camping exhibits etc and also some exhibits which could accommodate women and youngsters without the crush.

The show has grown both in quality and in fame, so a "next step" might be worth considering.  Smiley

If you don't know it all, then you don't know what you don't know.

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2015 at 4:48am
Print Post  
In recent years I have criticized the display of entered heads as having been unsatisfactory.  The antlers appeared to be given a lesser role at the Show.  I would like to acknowledge, from the photos I have been shown, that this year there was a vast improvement in that aspect.
  The Sika show has become well known throughout N.Z. and there is no reason why it should not continue to grow.  But the present consideration of venue type is necessary.   I would think the Show could only extend outdoors to a minor extent. Perhaps it does not have to stay in a central Taupo location.
The only other point I would make is that the Taxidermy section is a favourite with pretty well everyone who goes to the show.  It perhaps could always be allocated premium space.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

choosy

Tell your mum ive gone
hunting

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2015 at 6:35am
Print Post  
I didn't go to this years show so not sure what the prizes were like in the woman's section. In the past the prizes were earings and necklaces. My wife has put a couple of heads into the comp incl the tahr show and was pretty brassed off at the prizes. She would have preffered getting the same prizes as the men get.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2015 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Overall a much better setup than previous years. Smiley Good bits: Heads in prime position. Lots more room to mingle once you got in. Other bits: A bit of a messy entrance. Too small a registration area when crowds are always massive first thing Saturday. Not much choice re food on site. Biggest surprise Shocked Had no idea Sika hunting required half the worlds M16 look alikes to keep them under control Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2015 at 6:52am
Print Post  
MADNESS wrote on Sep 29th, 2015 at 3:52am:
I thought the way the heads were displayed was excellent. A big improvement on last year  Cool

My only complaint would be the lack of placings in some categories.
I feel there should be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd placing for each section.
The junior and women's sections only have a 1st place.
There were a few nice heads shot by juniors and women last year and again this year that didn't get any recognition. If you want to encourage juniors and women to enter you need more than just a 1st placing.
The 2nd!and 3rd placings don't have to be an expensive prize maybe a pola fleece tee or something similar, I'm sure some of the clothing brands at the show would be happy to donate a few to the prize pool.

Next year with it being 100% on line entry. Mark will know well before the show how many heads will be entered in each section so it will be easy to work out that in some cases maybe only be 1 or 2 heads are entered for a certain category and there maybe half a dozen for another so wouldn't be hard to plan for that some categories only need 1 or 2 placings and others a top 3

If they want to grow it as a trade show and just as a good annual gathering of the better heads shot for the year I'm sure they could make 2nd and 3rd  placing prizes through out the catagoures . Good prizes too . The show must generate a good turn over .

IP Logged

Kalahari-hunter

Walking my rifle

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 4:28am
Print Post  
i think a shooting range where you can hire guns from say one of the dealer stands and have a shoot or something.
May be fun for A cat guys to go shoot some E or B cat gear or something along those lines to make it a bit more fun and exciting. Maybe also a shooting competition

NZDA Rotorua Member

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards