Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tongaririo flies for sept (Read 2383 times)
Sika Stalker
Just Joined

Cover me....I'm going
in.

Tongaririo flies for sept
Sep 18th, 2015 at 9:14am
Print Post  
I'm off to the Tongariro next week and it's been many years since I last fished. I'm going to use the bombs and glow bugs but wondering what else others use at this time of the year and what the new more realistic egg flies are like.

IP Logged

Nomads
Donor Member

Angler, hunter, gardener,
cook

Re: Tongaririo flies for sept
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2015 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
I'm no expert on the Tong, but I hear that its still performing.
Eggs would still be working and the new varieties (soft rubber) are all fine.  only problem is paying for them!  way cheaper to tie eggs.

I'd be taking my entire fly box.  Small naturals will be starting to work by know, as would the odd Mayfly in the evening.

Try a few of the other streams on the way down.  Hinemaia has a few fish in it still.

enjoy

Like a cane chair at a nudist camp, always leave an impression.

IP Logged

Max Graymin

Re: Tongaririo flies for sept
Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2015 at 7:05am
Print Post  
In my experience it can depend on what the river is doing. I've fished it a fair bit over the last month. Small/medium glo bugs size 12/14 at first light have still produced well when the river has been clear. Moving to a naturals once it is brighter. For naturals a good old hare and copper, green or white caddis or a prince nymph have worked well lately in size 12 or 14.  If the river has a bit of colour size 10 or 12 glo bugs.
Be aware there is recreational release of water this Saturday at 9am this can fish well as the river lifts but it might be stuffed by 1030/11am. The whole river is holding fish so they're there to be caught, I was still getting fresh run silver fish in the lower reaches last weekend as well but there are a lot of darker fish about too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards