Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) .284 Superlite Super Pig (Read 24353 times)
seventenths
Forum Font

.284 Superlite Super Pig
Jul 31st, 2015 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Well, after a Bush Pig build early last year with a Tikka 7mm-08 and then later on a Super Pig Build later on last year for my good mate in .284 Winchester I couldn't help but feel jealous and envious as it turned out to be a great rifle and calibre!

Link to the previous Super Pig Build.
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1418556367

So after our roar trip in the Kawekas and sitting around talking the idea with my buds it got to the point where I thought fark it and where the Nike add says "Just do it"

So I sold a few rifles as I had a little clean out at the same time and went out and bought the new Tikka Superlite in 7mm-08

The superlite is the fluted Tikka model.

It was promptly sent through to Gunworks where they
- Fluted the bolt
- Put in a new bolt stop
- Swapped out the stock screws for stainless ones
- Anodised the tikka rings and swapped out those screws for stainless ones
- Reamed out the existing 7mm08 chamber to .284 Winchester.

I had Robbie ream the chamber out to the same as he did for the last one as I want to primarily use the same loads for my mates rifle for this one aswell but every rifle is different so I'll see how this idea pans out!

I had already managed to swap the "M" magazine for a "L" so that was all sorted.

It was around this time I remember reading some where about not being able to cut down the Superlites due to their fluted barrels but after speaking to Robbie he put my concerns to rest and the fact that I've seen a chopped down fluted barrel once before so I knew it could be done... it might not look nice but I'm looking for function!

Turn around from Gunworks was pretty quick but I wasn't in a rush as I ordered a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x38 scope in through Opticzone in the states.

I wanted a nice lightweight scope and as I already have the same scope on the .223 it was also an easy choice to make.

Once the scope arrived I sent it through to the Leupold custom shop where I had them install a CDS elevation turret which cost me a total of US$90 including return postage.

Once the rifle came back from Gunworks I dropped it into Darren at DPT as suppressor choice was also easy where Darren chopped the barrel to 16 inches, threaded and put on an over barrel suppressor.

Turn around from Darren was bloody quick as it was ready the following morning.  Cool

Tonight, I've assembled it all... have some loads ready to run through the barrel to break it in though I know it'll need a good 80-100 rounds before the barrel settles down properly.

The only thing I haven't done yet is install a Limbsaver recoil pad but I'll see how it goes without it first.

So far I'm very pleased with the rifle and look forward to putting rounds down range through it.
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2015 at 6:34am by seventenths »  

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

Craigc
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: .284 Superlite Super Pig
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Looks good. How much does it weight?

I was originally going to 'bush pig' mine but didn't like the idea of chopping into the flutes - seeing yours has made me realise it's still an option.

What thread did you get cut on the muzzle?
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2015 at 6:39am by Craigc »  

IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 3:39am
Print Post  
very nice, yes be interested in the weight and also speed of loads. I assume Robbie has access to bold release/stop. If so how much??

Hamish

AIM  
IP Logged

GWH
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 3:51am
Print Post  
Very nice, the old 284 is certainly on a come back! A stug stock would be a nice addition to that i reckon and trim up the weight a bit more.

IP Logged

Sikebhe

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Very nice John.  I'm jealous but can't afford to follow suit at this stage!  Smiley

You judge a dog by what you take home.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
looks good, look forward to seeing how she shoots for you.

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Interesting project, and I'm a big fan of the .284 Win. May re-barrel my .25-06 that way when the barrel is done.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Weight according to the fish scales read out 2.5 kg / 5 3/4 pounds.

A stug stock will save me another half kilo... I have being made at the moment for my .223 which is my go to rifle so I'll see how that works out as my two mates wanna see it before they order one for themselves so there might be three more stocks on order yet  Wink

Over the weekend I stopped by the Tokoroa range where I broke in the barrel with some random rounds I made up with some AR2209 & 140 gr projectiles I had lying about and results are promising where after break in I fired two, three shot groups at 200 metres.

Though I've only put through a few rounds so far I really like the gun.

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 6:32am
Print Post  
7mm08Roks wrote on Aug 1st, 2015 at 3:39am:
very nice, yes be interested in the weight and also speed of loads. I assume Robbie has access to bold release/stop. If so how much?? Hamish

From the build's I've done with the Tikkas where they require a new bolt stop, the kits which contain a small and large bolt release cost $150.00 and come as a set.

If you can score one bolt release then your looking at $75.00 which is what we paid for the last .284 we got built however I wasn't so lucky this time around and I had to buy the whole kit.

I'm impressed with Robbie's work and the communication with Gunworks is awesome... they do an absolute top job which I guess is why I keep going back to them time and time again!

IP Logged

tui_man

AB Percision

Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2015 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Have made a fair few of these now as well Smiley

Here's yesterday's one weights 2.32kg as shown in photo but with tops on rings don't know why there where off in photo

You will save maybe 200grams on new carbon stock will be about it

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2015 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Abe, thanks for that. As usual... mighty fine work with that rifle you have!  Cool

IP Logged

shane 300RUM
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:35am
Print Post  
Nice what cal is that one tui man ?

IP Logged

tui_man

AB Percision

Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 9:18am
Print Post  
[quote author=283E2D3E352F3E352F33285B0 link=1438338468/10#10 date=1438639942]Abe, thanks for that. As usual... mighty fine work with that rifle you have!  Cool [/quote]

Carbon stock will finish it off nicely tho mate  Smiley

shane 300RUM wrote on Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:35am:
Nice what cal is that one tui man ?

Same as above mate 284win

IP Logged

Craigc
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 10:19am
Print Post  
We might have to start a thread especially for posting photos of .284 Win rifles!

Smiley

Shame you can't buy factory and ammo brass for them!

IP Logged

canadakiwi
Donor Member

Nothing is ever as simple
as we hope it will be

Reply #14 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
So for those who have built a 284, is it practicable to build one on a short action, or long action better for the 162 a-max or berger etc,
I have a spare finlight .260, and a 2nd 7x57 M70, and am thinking about using one for a compact rifle build,

All thought common sense tells me, it will be cheaper to sell them and by one.
Am in the begining process of moving back to NZ at the moment and selling down. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards