Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) My Tilly with her 50th deer. (Read 102740 times)
X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Re: My Tilly with her 50th deer.
Reply #420 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Good work you two,well earned. At my age, I've learned not to do "wet weather"  any more  Grin

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #421 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Couple more...

On the same evening of getting the top one my son shot a smaller stag that was with it. I went up to do the recovery while he went and looked for a Fallow. I left my rifle and pack at my stag and cut up through the scrub to get Craig's. Tilly wanted to cut off the wrong side of the ridge so I sent her to see what it was. She stopped and was staring down through the scrub and there was the stag very much alive laying down. It had just been winged.

So I quietly backed off and scurried the 150 yards back down the hill for my rifle. When I got back up to it it was really gloomy in the scrub and I spooked it. I took a running shot at 20 yards and hit it but it didn't stop. Tilly was onto it in a flash and it bailed, and I was able to finish it.

A bit of a shambles but without the dog its likely we would have not found it to stop its suffering.

The bottom stag was a few days prior, at a different spot. Culllers had been in the area and when we went up the face to get it Tilly kept finding gut bags instead of the stag. She found 4 before she actually found the stag. It turned out that there were 7 gut bags up there (they had been using night vision). So we did ok to get a deer.

#1367&137

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #422 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Nice, BC.

Interesting that they chose to use ground 'cullers' but recovered the animals? Any particular reason they didn't just dial up the WARO guys? Maybe not the numbers to interest them?

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #423 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Max wrote on Jul 18th, 2019 at 5:00pm:
Nice, BC.

Interesting that they chose to use ground 'cullers' but recovered the animals? Any particular reason they didn't just dial up the WARO guys? Maybe not the numbers to interest them?

Not the numbers to justify a helicopter but there were newly planted trees and winter pasture to protect. They saw 22 deer through the night optics on a scrub and pasture face of about 50 acres, and about another 20 in the surrounding scrub. They got a SBS to the deer and took them for the tree planters.

It was the next night I was there.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #424 - Jul 19th, 2019 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
go the mighty Tilly...once again she saved your arse Bruce.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #425 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
You two will qualify for a semi shortly.  Roll Eyes

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #426 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Have I got a deal for you  Cool Cool Nah just kidding

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #427 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Last night I shot at a stag 400 yards across a gully and thought I had hit it. Tilly thought otherwise so we went home empty handed. It was heavy bush and steep and the interesting thing was that she took me twice to a carcass from a deer my son had shot a few weeks ago, a pile of bones from another hunter that was a very old kill and a pad where a deer had bedded. She was really trying to help.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #428 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
you have to trust her...she doesnt get it wrong often bud. pretty sure if it was there she would have found it for you,she does have a reputation to uphold after all. Wink

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #429 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Aug 1st, 2019 at 6:06pm:
you have to trust her...she doesnt get it wrong often bud. pretty sure if it was there she would have found it for you,she does have a reputation to uphold after all. Wink

I trust her. She only kept looking because I asked her to. It was pretty apparent through her demur that it wasn't dead or hit.

Cheers

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #430 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
After covering the area twice and they stop and look you straight in the eye .. then a no is a no.  Wink

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #431 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Aug 2nd, 2019 at 6:42pm:
After covering the area twice and they stop and look you straight in the eye .. then a no is a no.  Wink

Probably after the first time. But yes, a no is a no.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #432 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 8:55am
Print Post  
This was a useful find. We crashed around in the dark for a couple hours trying to find the little clearing it was shot on 475 yards across a gully.

Eventually found the clearing and she took me to it down the steep face hung up in the scrub. Would never have found it without a dog. There was only one little drop of blood.

I cant count it for Tilly's tally because we tag shot the deer and my shot was a split second behind my mates. I only count the ones that I actually shot. Had 2 shots through its shoulder though.

« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2019 at 3:20pm by BC »  

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #433 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #434 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
We have shot a few recently.
This one I shot in the open last night and thought I had missed because I could only see its neck and head right on dark, but went over to check (236 yds). I walked up a bushy gully edge and Tilly picked up where it had come out from being bedded for the day and back tracked it. I followed her ground scenting with the wind and she went straight to it.
About a 100 yard back track. She barked when she found it.

Good girl Tilly

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards