Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dump shit you do as kids! (Read 31910 times)
jakkos
Forum Senior

There is one stop after
the trigger is pulled

Re: Dump shit you do as kids!
Reply #15 - Oct 18th, 2015 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
My brother and a mate of ours were going into the Kaimanawas for an extended trip. Knowing the size of trout and the depth of some of the pools in the particular river we were going to be at, we decided that a few sticks of explosive stuff would be good insurance for getting a feed. We had done the trip a couple of years before and took a telescopic rod with us but the fish proved too hard to catch. The explosive was under my brothers house and had been there for quite a while in a wooden box. Come the day to sort out gear for the fight in bro crawls under the house and said quietly "Oh Shit" He came out with a very white face and said the box was sweat coverd. Knowing  that this was dangerous stuff we were very careful in dragging the box out. We put it on the back of my Holden ute Took my brothers .270 and slowly drove out to a nearby beach. We headed south down the coast from Hokio settlement towards the Ohau river. That section of beach was quite deserted and the sand dunes ran a long way back before reaching farmland. we carried the box over the first couple of dunes and put it on the sand. We walked away to a safe distance where my brother put a shot into the box. There was a huge bang and quite an impressive crater appeared where the box had been. I am sure that none of the three of us handled that stuff again. I thought later as I got older and more sense (maybe) Imagine if there had been a house fire at my brothers place. The fools we were. Wink

be good...And careful

IP Logged

Ernie
Donor Member

Bugger. never trust your
safety catch

Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2015 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Not even as a kid, but about 25/26 yrs old. This guy had a gun shop in the UK, still has in fact so wont name him. if it was quiet he would lock the front door, put the closed sign up and me and him would chase around shooting each other with BB guns. He reckoned people kept commenting on new hunt coats with BB's in pockets and hoods and he said dont know  !!

GTalk  
IP Logged

trip
Donor Member

7mm08 Tika T3

Reply #17 - Jan 3rd, 2016 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Me and a mate were playing round with his slug gun which turned into a shooting comp which he won. I then bet him he couldn't fire it through his toes between his big one and the next one he tried and ended up shattering his toe the x ray looked like a spider web Grin Grin

I SWEAR IT WAS THIS BIG.......YEAH RIGHT!!!

IP Logged

Aunty
Donor Member

Forum Slapper

Reply #18 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 7:00am
Print Post  
My dad and I were cleaning out a family friends deceased estate property when I was about 9 years old.

In the workshop we found an old javelin which my old man told me I could have and play with in the paddock next to home.

This was the 70's and I had seen these things of great wonder being thrown on the TV from time to time. I instantly had hopes and aspirations of being an Olympic javelin thrower, or at the worst, a great hunter of possums.

Anyway, I got home that evening and decided that it was as good a time as any for a few practice throws, no doubt the commencement of a great sporting career.

On the other side of the paddock was another house owned by a lovely old couple, the Aspinalls.

I decided in my wisdom that I would have a practice throw in the direction of their house, never believing that on my first attempt I could possibly throw more than 10-20 meters.

I launched that javelin to the point my right arm damn near dislocated, but that was not the problem.

The problem was is that it sailed perfectly, and went right through the fibrolite cladding of the neighbours, and extended through the gib into the interior of their house , sticking out about halfway inside and outside, jammed there.

To further compound matters the Aspinalls were having dinner watching TV at the time, and this thing suddenly appeared just above their TV.

As I said this was the 70's, it was legal to smack your kids, and I still remember the sore ass I got over that one.

Dad had to fix the neighbours house and the javelin ended up at the dump, in 2 pieces.

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #19 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

dvostvo

i'll be back at 5 to ....

Reply #20 - Mar 25th, 2019 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
some classics here !!!
used to chuck live 22 shells down the steep hill over from our house back of  town , manuka and bush growing either side of the road  ...they'd crack off on the tarseal and fire off into the trees ( no houses around that side ) twacking bush and branches galore ..my brother and thought this is great fun for us 10-12 years old , till one whistled passed between us into the bank behind ..game over ! ..lucky . dumb shit as kids .

holy smoke ..did ya see the size of that lil buga !
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #21 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Brilliant thread i been laughing and laughing, thanks for bringing it back.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #22 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 7:24am
Print Post  
To start this story its relevant to know that the week before Id put my arse through a glass door being lazy and trying to push it open instead of putting down what was in my hands and opening it properly. Parents not happy.

So younger brother and I decide a cricket game is in order as The old man was on nightshift and we had been told to go outside  and play so we don't disturb him.
Of course we set up the wickets right under his window. Result. One cricket ball and a heap of glass on the bed with him.
Cricket on the section now banned we have to improvise. I make a small bat about a foot long, and we peeled the layers off a golf ball to get the little hard ball inside it.
Now we can play cricket in the living room. We took the warning of- "Dont you guys go hitting that thing around in here!" as more of an advisory, and to be fair the ball never did any harm. However on going for a six, the bat left my hand and sailed straight through the ranch slider.
3 windows in two weeks. Looking back as an adult I don't know how parents manage to stay in control of themselves.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #23 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #24 - Oct 5th, 2019 at 1:15pm
Print Post  

I remember finding a dead Morepork on the side of the road, so took it home and hung it on the wall of my bedroom. I hung it by the neck from a nail I banged in the wall with some cotton thread and nailed out its wings so it looked realistic.
After a few days it developed a 'pong', and not so long later I would hear little 'plops' which turned out to be fat maggots hitting the floor, which I gathered up and threw out the window. I didn't get them all, and the ones I didn't get traveled a long way, I'd see them everywhere, so I got a couple of Gecko's off a mate and let them go in my room in hopes they would hoover the 'ones that got away'.
After a while the 'pong' went away and the maggots stopped falling out - and that Morepork looked down at me from that wall for months, maybe even years.
When my mum eventually took it down it fell to bits and left a big stain there.
Years later I was sitting in the living room and there was a Gecko sitting on the hearth looking as happy as Larry. I don't know what happened to the other one - I'd forgotten all about them.

About that time I'd got a Webley air pistol my parents didn't know about, and I'd lie on my bed and shoot flies on the wall with plugs of soap. Not satisfied with that, I made a pellet trap out of a cardboard box I could set up all manner of targets in front off - then shoot them to bits with lead pellets.
I'd lie on my back and shoot between my bent legs, then one day a fly landed on my knee, so taking careful aim - I skidded a pellet across the top of my knee cap, leaving quite a painful groove.
I shot our canary with that gun, been shooting at sparrows all morning and hadn't hit a thing, so I didn't expect to hit that canary - but I did.
And I felt so rotten doing that, I don't think I ever shot at another bird.

And then me and my mate got into parachutes. We'd catch his cat, tie on a parachute and chuck him off the garage roof.
I don't know how many times we chucked him off, but after a while we couldn't catch that cat anymore and had to find something else to do.

And then I got to thirteen and discovered my two older cousins had brought a car from possum skins they had trapped - so I bought (or flogged) a Lanes trap and caught my first possum. After beating him around the head for a while I felt sorry for him, so releasing him from the trap I picked him up for a cuddle. After a couple of minutes he decided he didn't like being cuddled, so stretching down he hooked his claws into my thigh and bit a chunk out. I still have that scar - a white round scallop that has stretched out a bit now - just looked at it.
I skinned that possum by pulling all his insides out - and it took me all day. When done I had a wet skin I carried around everywhere, even took it to school - and that stunk too.

And then I got into building stuff and cut out all the cross-bracing out of our State House roof.
Over the years I would think about that and wondered if that roof was still standing, so not so many years ago I was back down that way and made a detour to look at that house to see if the roof had fallen in - and it hadn't.

I liked being a kid - don't remember doing anything too outrageous, but then I don't ever remember being bored  Smiley

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #25 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 10:34am
Print Post  
There seems to be a constant trend of " you couldn't get away doing that sort of stuff today" in these yarns from yesteryear Cheesy

I remember age about 6 or 7, playing cowboys and itchybums with the next door neighbours. Playing with bows and arrows made from the bamboo hedge between our places.  They weren't really very powerful or accurate, which was probably a good thing.  So I looked for something more 'appropriate'. Found the spear from dads big spring loaded Italian speargun, and brought that to the fray. It hadn't clicked with me that because it was a bastard to pull out of the ground when thrown, it was actually quite dangerous. One throw parted the neighbours hairline, leaving a red bleeding wound. It suddenly dawned on me that an inch lower and there would not have been a neighbour to play with Shocked Shocked Shocked . Spent the next 6 hours deep under the house piles where the adults couldn't crawl to, fearing for my own life Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
30 years on I visited an old mate down south who had come visiting the year before up North. he'd brought his kids up to visit, and they were about the same age as I had been  when that incident occurred. I had taken them out to where I was working, blasting a rock face off to straighten part of a highway.   I hadn't counted on how much of an impression that trip had on the young lads till I visited the family a year later.

We had noticed them out in the garden with the motor mower petrol can. "What are you boys up to??"  "Nothing mum" can the reply from the elder boy. " We're going to show Uncle we can make a bomb!" came the reply from the younger boy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy . A quick search of the lads showed a couple of packets of 22 ammo, a packet of matches and the gallon can of petrol. Could have got messy quickly!!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #26 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 1:28pm
Print Post  

When I was in my forties I picked a up length of 1/2" or 5/8" dowelling from the floor of our workshop and was standing there wondering who it belonged to when a workmate standing about 30 feet away said - "Throw it at me."
So I did.
That dowelliing, about 8 foot long flew through the air and smacked him point on breaking his collarbone.
"Why the hell didn't you get out of the way ?"
"I couldn't see it coming."

And that explains how a javelin went through the white 'duster' coat of an official measurer at the Olympic's many years ago - lucky man, that one.

As a kid they were building the Eastern railway from Wellington to Upper Hutt just up behind our place, so us kids would go up and investigate when the workmen knocked off work.
On one occasion we were throwing up rail spikes, trying to get them to stick point down in the ground.
I was bending down to pick up a spike when one came down on my head - and it might have knocked me out, because when I got up, I was the only one there - the other kids had scarpered.
It bled quite heavily, had knocked a whole flap of scalp sideways and I was holding that on whilst making my way home when a neighbour lady came out and popped me in her car and took me to Hospital where they sewed it back together.
Wasn't allowed to play up there after that, but when my mate and I got to sixteen and bought our single shot .22's, we'd cross the rail bridge across the river when it was up, clambering through the girders under the rail tracks to get to the western hills where we'd go rabbit shooting.
That was pretty scary as the river was rushing past just below and you knew if you missed your footing ............ still scares me today thinking about that.
Had done that one morning and popped out the other side to find the cops waiting for us to give us a bollocking. They were decent blokes those cops and I don't know how many times they brought me and my mate home after we'd done something daft.
I remember one time my mum coming out to the cop car when it pulled up in front of our place and seeing the look on her face ....... "What's he done now ?"
And I 'thought twice' about doing stuff after that - didn't like seeing that look on her face.

Up on those hills they'd built pylons and I'd go up there in the dark with my torch possum shooting for the bounty. My mate's parents wouldn't let him come and I was a bit scared of the dark, and of being alone and sometimes crossing the river you'd get an eel bumping your legs - and that would give you a fright.
Then I'd walk up the hill on the old quarry track through the bush that had overgrown until I popped out on the farmland at the top.
I shot a lot of possums up there off the pylons, then they learned all about that and would leap off all spread out and would hit the ground with a plop, legs already running.
I don't know where the farmer who owned that farm lived, down in the valley I think, because sometimes he'd arrive in his car while we were rabbit shooting and we wouldn't hear him coming until he was right there. I don't know how many times he chased us - but we never did get caught.
That was a special place up there for me, a couple of times I walked right across those hills towards Pauatahanui and had trouble finding my way back in the dark, not getting back until it had broken daylight and I'd be late getting to school.

Not sure I'd be happy letting my kids do that and I'm not sure my parents were totally happy with me doing it - but they never stopped me.

IP Logged

bigbang

Reply #27 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
As kids we were pretty free range, living on a farm up the Coromandel. My cousin was on a farm a couple of K down the side road and another mate was 4 or 5 K around the road or 3 K as the crow fly's up and over the hill. The list of dumb shit is endless but the one that makes me sweat to this day is plaiting 3 strands of the old school bailing twine together and all three of us going down the tomo's that were all over that hill. Some of them were pretty deep and no one had a clue where we were half the time. Manuka stick bows with bracken arrow wars were great fun. I'm still surprised we didn't lose an eye or two.
    One of our favorites was sneaking in to the hippy commune down the road and spying on the ladies working in the gardens. Clothes were very much optional!      
  Looking back now, I think I would struggle to give my kids so much freedom.

A man begins cutting his wisdom teeth the first time he bites off more than he can chew.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards