Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic thyriod tumor advise please (Read 2466 times)
luckyshot
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

thyriod tumor advise please
Jun 26th, 2015 at 6:34am
Print Post  
I have an older male dog hes 9-10years old I noticed a golf ball size lump in his neck about half way up the trachea I took him to the local vet they did blood tests and a hyper/hypo? thyroid test(which came back clear) and a sample of the tumor using a syringe the vet was not very confedent and had about 5 attempts at getting a sample which resulted in a tiny dot of blood on a glass slide I was then told they were not confident that there was a usable sample I didn't press the matter as my dog was starting to show signs of distress I then payed the reasonably expensive bill .. Today I had a phone call from the vet to say it is a thyroid tumor and the lab couldn't be sure if it is cancer as there wasn't enough cells in the sample and they want to now send him to surgery and try to shell out the tumor to send away for testing and gave me an estimate of about a grand

So should I go to another vet and get another needle biopsy done? or fork out for the surgical biopsy ?

What are the likeliness of the tumor being malignant and if it is what are the usual treatments and prognoses?

Thanks

IP Logged

luckyshot
Donor Member

Re: thyriod tumor advise please
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2015 at 6:37am
Print Post  
I should add the tumor doesn't appear to be causing him any discomfort or effecting his appetite ... the only other issues he has is his back legs give him discomfort in the mornings when he first gets up which he takes carprieve for and seems to work but this doesn't seem to be related to the tumor so maybe an element of arthritis

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 4:40am
Print Post  
Hmm not much response here. Dont know whats happened to Ethos.

As a Bathholer of Veterinary science, my gut feeling is if you value your dog have the biopsy done. 

We are training up Porkchop to do the Veterinary Section if Ethos doesn't return soon, but hes still in training.  Roll Eyes

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 9:46am
Print Post  
cost us $420 to have breast tumor taken from our old bitch...it bought her another 18 mths but came back with a vengeance leading to her final trip to big duck pond in the sky Cry

question for you
do you trust your vet??? if so trust what they are telling you, we wont take our animals to a vet we dont have complete faith in. they are professionals so what reason to pull wool over your eyes? they know its a hard call when the big C rears its ugly head and would have to be heartless bast#$%s to take advantage of you financially in these circumstances, and I cant see any other reason they could/would.
my gut feeling is get it done ,cost it out elsewhere maybe , but get it done
hope that helps
Mike

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Quote:
What are the likeliness of the tumor being malignant and if it is what are the usual treatments and prognoses?

This is a tough situation you are in. Your quote above, it will cost you nothing to walk into a couple of vets and ask these questions.

Ive been in this type of situation, and will answer as a realist if i can. What you will have to consider after you get answers to those questions is how close you are to your dog and how much you can afford to spend.

If the answer is the tumour is likely to be malignant, the prognosis isnt good long term, or the quality of life for the dog will be significantly reduced, then maybe consider having the dog put down at a suitable time.

If the answer is likely prognosis is good for a reasonable length of time, and you can afford the cost of surgery, then maybe consider doing it.

its a bastard having to consider cost, but I know well that sometimes we just can't afford this type of cost.

I have chosen either option at some time or another.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 6:23am
Print Post  
Youd be taking the age of the dog into account too no doubt.

It hard but its peaceful for the dog if you decide to let it go. Nothing worse than watching it waste away. 

Good luck anyway.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

luckyshot
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies ..  I don't have faith in  the local vet really and other locals haven't exactly recommended them so looks like i will be going further afield to speak to another vet .

Hes a good dog and if money wasn't a problem it wouldn't matter how much it cost . Hopefully hes got a few good ones left in him yet .

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 9:08am
Print Post  
It's up to you how much you spend. Work out what your comfortable with try to stick with it. My experience of vets is that they see dollar signs as soon as you walk in the door, so know your financial limit and stick to it.
A 10 year old dog probably deserves to be given the best help possible. That doesn't mean going silly though.

I've had to put down a few good dogs. Hardest one was a 15yo Beardie that I'd had from a pup. He'd only been to the vet once in 15 years! Wife and I talked and came to the conclusion that if he gets a major health problem it'll be the end of the road for him. He went all mental one night so we took him to the vet next day. Vet took 1 look at him and said "probably brain tumour". Was one of the hardest days of my life but there was only 1 sensible decision.  Cry

There's been a couple of others I've had to make that decision but none as clear cut or as hard to take as that one.

My advise would be that if your money improves the dogs life then do it (the op)
If it's gonna prolong suffering then its time to say goodbye.
And if the dogs old and not in pain then leave as is and enjoy the old boys company while you still can.

But yes get a 2nd opinion and maybe take a week or 2 to think it over

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards