Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Hunter representation (Read 48506 times)
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Hunter representation
Reply #195 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Hell will freeze over.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #196 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 1:25am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Feb 9th, 2016 at 12:56am:
Hell will freeze over.

You mean like, the same as Carlsen's wallet has? Cheesy Grin

Back on topic, substantial donation available from myself, when I can find a  group/organisation or person that is actually "doing" something positive to retain the traditional/cultural rights of the average  NZ hunter/shooter.   Roll Eyes

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

toyota
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #197 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 1:00am
Print Post  
HiTop wrote on Aug 18th, 2015 at 4:01am:
Weathered wrote on Aug 17th, 2015 at 8:51pm:
Yeah point taken, "DoC land" Is my idea of an inside joke, ever since Mike Cuddihy told me to stop calling it DoC land in a meeting.  WinkWhen DoC stop treating the land as their own private property I might do that  Smiley

+1

IP Logged

toyota
Forum Senior

Reply #198 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 1:03am
Print Post  
HiTop wrote on Dec 27th, 2015 at 9:45am:
Its been a while since we delved into this topic and I've spent quite a while assessing what has been written.  This thread has been quite enlightening and it certainly appears we have a serious problem charting a path forward that people would support and finance as well as being effective in the right places.

My summarising of views goes a bit like this:

Most see the need for an advocacy organisation to preserve and enhance hunter access to and management of game animals as a resource.

Acceptance of a charge for permits/hunting rights is mixed and which organisation would be advantaged by the funds is a concern to some.

Neither NZDA or GAC are the right organisation to carry out the role.

There is support for an alternative organisation that would be focused solely on hunters rights although many question the need for another organisation when NZDA, GAC and COLFO already exist.

Hopefully I have that mostly right.  If not I'd love to hear others assessments.
Moving along, as I don't think there is any time to waste:

Our new organisation is:
- Independent of statutory restriction and existing NGO's policies.
- Funded purely from voluntary contributions from the public and negotiated percentage contributions from hunting equipment sales.
- It provides oversight of government agencies, their actions and policies as they impact hunting through detailed factual analysis.
- It advocates and takes action, both practical and legal, to protect existing populations of game animals and enhance hunters access to those animals for harvest.
- It manages its financial performance to ensure it can become and remain perpetually self funding.

What did I ommit?
Bushwanderer suggested the structure of Legasea as a model and I think that has great merit.  You can read a bit about that here.
http://www.legasea.co.nz/detail.php

Much of what they highlight is what we will be faced with as the population increases.  Putting aside any safety issues without game our sport is finished.  GAC has an advisory role to the conservation minister and further roles that will not wield the weight we need in some areas.  Its not that GAC is a bad model it is just that it is severely constrained in any advocacy role through its statutory status by design.  Similarly F&G is constrained and there is need to address their ability to undertake work to protect rights and access.  An organisation that can work right across the spectrum would be a formidable force in addressing the inequity our sport/s have been subject to.

so we have the nzda , colfo, game council ---and now we need another organization for hunter rights.     i am sure if you go back and look at the disscusion about the animal game council when being proposed to be set up -it alledgedly was going to deal with all these issues . as impartial and represented by hunters across the board from a cross section of all hunters.    what have we heard from the game council ----nothing ?                                                                                 closed group of yes men/woman appointed by the government minister ---my opinion                                       interesting to note that i did put my name forward , not accepted , but in my letter of reply from the minister,i was asked to support the council members nominated by the minister , well i have sat back watching and waiting for some actions from them ---nothing has happened that i can see ?  , delaying tactics from the government ? the minister?i went to a couple of the meetings when this was mooted, some of the present appointed council members were quite vocal on where this council would take hunters forward, they get appointed ---nothing eventuating.               or have i got it wrong                                                  Shocked                                                              t

IP Logged

toyota
Forum Senior

Reply #199 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 1:40am
Print Post  
X-POACHER-YEAH RYT wrote on Feb 9th, 2016 at 1:25am:
headcase wrote on Feb 9th, 2016 at 12:56am:
Hell will freeze over.

You mean like, the same as Carlsen's wallet has? Cheesy Grin

Back on topic, substantial donation available from myself, Winkwhen I can find a  group/organisation or person that is actually "doing" something positive to retain the traditional/cultural rights of the average  NZ hunter/shooter.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #200 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 8:33am
Print Post  
toyota wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 1:03am:
so we have the nzda , colfo, game council ---and now we need another organization for hunter rights.     i am sure if you go back and look at the disscusion about the animal game council when being proposed to be set up -it alledgedly was going to deal with all these issues . as impartial and represented by hunters across the board from a cross section of all hunters.    what have we heard from the game council ----nothing ?                                                                                 closed group of yes men/woman appointed by the government minister ---my opinion                                       interesting to note that i did put my name forward , not accepted , but in my letter of reply from the minister,i was asked to support the council members nominated by the minister , well i have sat back watching and waiting for some actions from them ---nothing has happened that i can see ?  , delaying tactics from the government ? the minister?i went to a couple of the meetings when this was mooted, some of the present appointed council members were quite vocal on where this council would take hunters forward, they get appointed ---nothing eventuating.               or have i got it wrong                                                  Shocked                                                              t

Yes you are wrong.  GAC is a statutory advisory body that is doing quite a bit of good stuff including the movement forward of proposed herds of special interest.  Nothing is set in stone yet and all is subject to political whim but nothing ventured nothing gained Smiley

Part of the reason I started this thread was because many hunters seem to think they could sit back and not contribute to any organisation working on their behalf yet bitch, moan and complain at those organisations when government department policies and actions go against their interests.  I wanted to know how we could change that.  I'm not sure we have a clear path on that one yet  Undecided Undecided Undecided

IP Logged

toyota
Forum Senior

Reply #201 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 4:00am
Print Post  
HiTop wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 8:33am:
toyota wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 1:03am:

Yes you are wrong.  GAC is a statutory advisory body that is doing quite a bit of good stuff including the movement forward of proposed herds of special interest.  Nothing is set in stone yet and all is subject to political whim but nothing ventured nothing gained Smiley

Part of the reason I started this thread was because many hunters seem to think they could sit back and not contribute to any organisation working on their behalf yet bitch, moan and complain at those organisations when government department policies and actions go against their interests.  I wanted to know how we could change that.  I'm not sure we have a clear path on that one yet  Undecided Undecided Undecided

well its not how i read the setting up of the animal game council
the guidelines of the council read different from where i see it , and i am sure thats how the majority see it as well.
so we have an appointed council by the government,for a defined term , then it goes up for elected members for a defined term---whom alledgedly- will then be funded by some levy on hunters--to administer hunting for the hunters.   

and now  you propose that we have another organisation to look after the interests of hunters ----levied again on hunters.
bugger me !
i am sure if you look at the mandate ,and all the disscusion previous before the animal game council was appointed --that this council was to fairly lead hunters into the future ?
i must definitely have it wrong ?

to me -if the animal game council was doing its job as i think everyone intended it would be letting all hunters know its progress and intentions---not just communicating with a select few .
hunting is more than herds of special interest ---- the majority of hunters will never go to fiordland or stewart island or hunt tahr in the alps,
they will hunt their home patch where they can affordably hunt for meat for the freezer.

so the sooner the average hunter can see that he or her has an organization that has their genuine interests at heart--the better

now i know nothing is ever 100 per cent as we like itm

has the animal game council looked into the 1080 drops going on at the moment on doc land decimating hundreds of deer ---?
as a hunter and also a conservationist is see the need for balance ----but i am sure it is all one sided at the moment-in docs hands.

as for the game council----do any of you know what they are doing ?  Wink

IP Logged

Rogers.270
Forum Senior

Lives for the tops

Reply #202 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 7:14am
Print Post  
lets start another group.................
cat of nine lives has already stated that our hobbies participants are far to fragmented and un-unified in our views - maybe due to the pig headed nature of the type of blokes that love the outdoors.

another org achieves nothing - supporting change and unification of current orgs is a much smarter alternative............. but hey what do i know

Balls Out

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #203 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Rogers.270 wrote on Feb 15th, 2016 at 7:14am:
lets start another group.................
cat of nine lives has already stated that our hobbies participants are far to fragmented and un-unified in our views - maybe due to the pig headed nature of the type of blokes that love the outdoors.

another org achieves nothing - supporting change and unification of current orgs is a much smarter alternative............. but hey what do i know

Its 2 1/2 years since we had a conversation about this very thing and all that has happened is the groups are smaller, less people are engaged and everyone now expects the GAC to do everything to protect and support their sport.  I see that as an epic fail on many counts.

IP Logged

toyota
Forum Senior

Reply #204 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
HiTop wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 7:47pm:
[quote author=19242C2E393865797C7B4B0 link=1434931063/202#202 date=1455520457]lets start another group.................

Its 2 1/2 years since we had a conversation about this very thing and all that has happened is the groups are smaller, less people are engaged and everyone now expects the GAC to do everything to protect and support their sport.  I see that as an epic fail on many counts.
[/quote Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2016 at 1:26am by toyota »  

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #205 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 5:04am
Print Post  
If you are too tired to go and look I'm not sure anyone can help you. 
It seems for some the GAC is just another target for mud slinging ....... slightly different shit different day I guess.  Small wonder there are not many motivated to do much for hunters......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards