Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Hunter representation (Read 43479 times)
Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Hunter representation
Reply #15 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Quote:
I don't see anyone taking my doc land hunting off me anytime in the future so I sure as hell wouldn't want to be made to join some club and pay for the priveledge of being a member in order to get my permits. I assume this is NZDA

its happening already, MikeB, and some would argue, has done for many years.

The latest WARO review resulted in probably the biggest loss of WARO free hunting area, that I can recall.
WARO is essential, but not the way DOC is going about it, at present.

There is going to be more of the same, re loss of hunting.

The GAC has a statutory role over herds of special interest, otherwise its an advisory role to the minister for everything else, (I think)

Remains to be seen what they will do about issues they only give advise on. If the minister took notice of them,(and in fact the GAC spoke out for hunters)  then I'd argue that the GAC is the hunters representative.
and happily give $4  $$  to it.

I think there is a difference between an organization like Hitop refers to, and the NZDA. The DA is really a group of clubs.
Not sure they are best placed to be advocates for hunters, even if it is one of their aims.

An organization independent of the many hunting clubs, might be best way to go.
[/quote]

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #16 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 2:56am
Print Post  
hairy wrote on Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:42am:
Isn't the GAC supposed to be doing that?  Managing herds and protecting hunters rights.

Yes, but they are established by legislation, so confined to doing what that allows. An independent advocacy organisation would be quite different.

In my view what we need is 'Forest and Bird or FMC for hunters'. They are only NGO's, but have been that successful that they now have rights enshrined in legislation, like making nomination for membership on the Conservation Authority. And as much as it pains me to say so, I can't help but conclude that in part their success is because the average member of those organisations is both more disciplined and intelligent than hunters.  Embarrassed  Maybe those who say that generally people get what they deserve have a point??

And to answer the original question, yes I would contribute to a body like that, and no I would not support hunting permits being tied to membership of it.

IP Logged

tripletwoee

Life's too short to shoot
an ugly gun

Reply #17 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 3:42am
Print Post  
I would love to see one body and one body alone representing hunters and hunting in this country.  I am more than ready to contribute to a party that is fighting in one corner only.   I do not belong to any one body and haven't done so for many a year and it concerns me greatly in this day and age.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #18 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 3:57am
Print Post  
In thinking about it more, the GAC represents all hunting, recreational, guided, commercial, etc.

But can they lobby exclusively  for recreational hunting. some of theyre members are commercial etc.

currently NZDA are heavily represented on the GAC. But do they advocate effectively for rec hunters?
and do the majority of hunters (members or not)  want to be represented by NZDA

doesn't seem like it

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #19 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 4:08am
Print Post  
Whats the problem here?
Is there a belief out there that DOC are going to lock up all the public land so hunters cant hunt anymore?
Good luck controlling all the 'PESTS' out there if they do.
I feel that hunters are helping to control the numbers of 'game' animals in NZ and paying for permits doesn't excite me at all.

Dan.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Depends what you want a single organization for.
If it is to promote a particular single view, my experience is that as soon as it does not do that you will be wanting to form yet another organization. Democracy can be a bitch, she doesn't always deliver what you want.

I can see this already with the GAC; because they are attempting to balance many interests they are finding it difficult to please anyone.

The best way still might be for the current diverse number of interest groups actively lobbying for what they think is best, because that at least mitigates the risk of a single organization promoting homogenous policy in an attempt to appease as many members as possible.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #21 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 4:21am
Print Post  
Anyone know what's happened to Game and Forest Foundation? Seemed to me when they first arrived that they were more modern and politically savvy than NZDA.

And I also think that NZDA's intransigence on issues like 1080 seriously compromises its effectiveness. Means it probably doesn't get listened to an any matters in some quarters....(and those people are probably secretly pleased as a result!)

IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Reply #22 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 4:37am
Print Post  
With the Haurangi's 1080 the HVDZDA and others i think were heavily involved with the Aorangi Forest trust and managed to get deer repellant on. Worked out cheaper for the 1080 crowed to put repellant on than fight it in court, maybe more need to get behind and fight for your area's like we did??

Hamish

AIM  
IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #23 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 4:59am
Print Post  
TH , the NZDA is not a group of clubs , it is a national organisation with numerous local branches which are involved to greater or lesser amounts in hunter training , hunting, target shooting , politics affecting firearms and firearms owners , hunting , land access etc . Whether you belong or not , whether you approve or not , you benefit by their existence. The DA has a good political voice , and are listened to by by most politicians and have been for 75+ years .
If you want to sight in a rifle , and dont have access to private property , and less and less of us do, it is most likely you will do so on a NZDA range . Your public land permit from DOC is for hunting , not sighting in or load development etc.

A new national organisation that could   fairly represent all the different hunters in NZ and all their particular requirements , foibles , prejudices and ideas ? I don't think so.

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

MADNESS
Forum Font

Reply #24 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 5:23am
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Jun 22nd, 2015 at 4:59am:
A new national organisation that could   fairly represent all the different hunters in NZ and all their particular requirements , foibles , prejudices and ideas ? I don't think so.

+1 it will never work. Trying to get hunters all heading in the same direction is like herding cats   Grin

Despite the rising cost of living it still remains popular

IP Logged

zamkiwi

Reply #25 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 5:38am
Print Post  
I belong to NZDA even when out of country and will always pay my sub every year .
They do a bloody good job at our club.
But I agree with madness will be hard to get everyone going in same direction.
not sure what answer is but something needs to be done

Taking the gun for a walk, oh yeah

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #26 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 7:37am
Print Post  
well certain folks around these parts tried to get hunters to get behind them at the last election Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
to give the hunting/fishing community a better voice in the beehive...you lot can throw shit in Peter Dunns direction if you wish, but he IS trying to do something...now if Alan had got in that voice would have been twice as loud.
the fighting among ourselves is what gives the A.N.T.I.s strength   
the ban 1080 party divided things even more.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #27 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 8:07am
Print Post  
7mm08Roks wrote on Jun 22nd, 2015 at 1:52am:
What we do need though in a public forum is to be seen as 1 and not argue for 10-12 pages

Hunting isn't a cult.

Cant see a need for another national organisation. NZDA can do it on the issues where there is critical mass (eg WARO), and no organisation will succeed on issues where there isn't (like 1080).

Personally strongly opposed to compulsory funding of an advocacy organisation from permit fees. Needs to be voluntary.

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

highcountry

Preserve our game animals,
join NZDA

Reply #28 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 8:14am
Print Post  
I don't think a lot of people realise how much NZDA does advocate for our hunting culture at present and has done for a long time. It was nzda branches that first set up organised Search and rescue groups. I haven't always greed with the NZDA official line, but no two people on this planet can agree all the time let alone a bunch of head strong hunting rural types. I am dam sure though, If all people who hunted in NZ were members of NZDA, then the politicians would listen a lot more and we could worry a lot less about our children's future rights to hunt and have access to our land. Land that used to be called Timberlands estate and was once part of regional forest parks is now controlled by private interest. We can no longer hunt this land that is still ours for free. We have to pay for a permit and can only hunt in the weekend. Its still our land as far as I can tell, the forest owners only bought the cutting rites. NZDA lobbied against this reduction in our ability to hunt our own land. Full hunter membership may have helped. Just my 2c worth but I say join NZDA today.

IP Logged

kimjon
Forum Font

Make an effort, not an
excuse

Reply #29 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Shooting clubs are supported by an overriding collective (colfo), which supports the rights of firearm owners. The club's all do their own thing, no two the same...they don't want to nor need to agree with each others disciplines, but are represented under the umbrella of colfo which supports their right to use firearms.

Could be an example of a working model where no one has to agree with anyone else, to be unified.

Kj

IF WE AREN'T SUPPOSED TO EAT CUTE FLUFFY ANIMALS, THEN WHY ARE THEY MADE OUT OF MEAT?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards