Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Hunter representation (Read 53421 times)
HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Hunter representation
Jun 21st, 2015 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
This will hopefully elicit some responses as we seem to be at quite a crossroads when it comes to hunters actually having effective representation that is "respected" by politicians and civil servants alike.
Hunters are generally good bastards but also absolute arseholes in many regards.  We are cheap, self centred, independent cats who refuse to be herded!  Some would wear that as a badge of honour but they will never contribute anything to seeing their sport supported and maintained.  That has got to change and soon!  Increasingly we are being marginalised because we are disparate and lack a common voice.
Our sport is not alone and it appears to be due to a rapidly ageing population and a disconnected younger age group who see no value in anything clubs offer.
Quite frankly I know many club officials and members are at their wits end trying to make sense of it and get some glue in place to hold it all together.

So, I ask you this:
Would you contribute to one organisation to represent your rights and views on national issues affecting hunters and hunting?

How much do you think you should contribute per year and would you want a say in how that organisation argues on your behalf?

Should access to hunting permits be restricted to only those who contribute to this organisation or should the cost of getting an annual permit(currently free) include the cost of belonging to that organisation?

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Hunting anywhere and everywhere

Re: Hunter representation
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:17am
Print Post  
I don't see anyone taking my doc land hunting off me anytime in the future so I sure as hell wouldn't want to be made to join some club and pay for the priveledge of being a member in order to get my permits. I assume this is NZDA focused?

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:27am
Print Post  
MikeB wrote on Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:17am:
I don't see anyone taking my doc land hunting off me anytime in the future so I sure as hell wouldn't want to be made to join some club and pay for the priveledge of being a member in order to get my permits. I assume this is NZDA focused?

Nope, no preconceived ideas or outcomes, clean sheet.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:37am
Print Post  
Id be happy to pay a sub/donation to an organised group who specifically stuck to an agenda to maintain hunters rights.

Name your price.  Grin

Id be cautions about linking it to permits at this point, but open to discussion.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

300wsm for life
Donor Member

I Live for the Nelson
Lakes

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:38am
Print Post  
That's going to be a hard one. As what you belive and I belive could be two different ideals. Then chuck it into a club setting where more poeple lean to one side, does that mean the minority loses because I/ we have a different opinion and not enough support behind it. Then you through in the trophy hunting thing vs meat hunters. I would join a club if I thought that the minority had just as much say as  the majority.  But you can count me out of joining NZDA.

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Isn't the GAC supposed to be doing that?  Managing herds and protecting hunters rights.

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:45am
Print Post  
If we can could we just answer the questions, yes no etc.  If we get into discussion at this stage it will be pointless.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:46am
Print Post  
hairy wrote on Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:42am:
Isn't the GAC supposed to be doing that?  Managing herds and protecting hunters rights.

My first thought too. Maybe we need a group that wanted to fight barehanded, no boxing gloves.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

mitch270
Donor Member

No longer owns a .270

Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Isn't the GAC supposed to be doing that?  Managing herds and protecting heli hunters rights.

They do don't they?

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 1:20am
Print Post  

Guess this demonstrates just how hunters are ignorant also, no offence Hairy you are not alone......Wink

Quote:
Key functions of the council include:

advising and making recommendations to the Minister of Conservation on hunting issues,
        providing information and education to the sector,
        promoting safety initiatives,
        conducting game animal research,
        undertaking management functions for designated herds of special interest.

Oh and I should have added they have very little money to even establish the organisation let alone actually do any of these tasks.....

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #10 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 1:39am
Print Post  
If NZDA & the GAC can't do this now, how do we think another organisation could? But yes I would contribute.

We need to get Waro, hunting & permits, etc away from DOC, that won't happen until Deer, tahr, chammy are reclassified as game animals not pests in law, that's what we need to change first.

IP Logged

Ruger260
Forum Senior

It makes good reading

Reply #11 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Totally agree with that statement. They are game animals for sure.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 1:44am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:37am:
Id be happy to pay a sub/donation to an organised group who specifically stuck to an agenda to maintain hunters rights.

Name your price.  Grin

Id be cautions about linking it to permits at this point, but open to discussion.

along these lines

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 1:52am
Print Post  
sounds very Australian

I went for a walk with a cobba up the Brisbane valley and the only way you could hunt on land in this state was if you had private access or the other side was that you joined a club, that club then went out and approached farmers to get the club exclusive rights to hunt in return for labour on the farms (think working Be) which after floods come in handy. But this did restrict the number of times a member was allowed to hunt and also the number of deer they were allowed to harvest. So in short the club had XYZ properties it managed and then would allocate days and animals per person for the year, all you had to do was offer labour and pay the club a fee (not cheap from memory)

Why would we want to do this, i already pay to the NZDA so there should be no need for anything else.

What we do need though in a public forum is to be seen as 1 and not argue for 10-12 pages of the merits of being a bush hunter over say a LR hunter, this just shows we cant stand together and respect another hunters harvesting technique or even down to their own personal ethics.

Hamish

AIM  
IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 1:54am
Print Post  
[I don't see anyone taking my doc land hunting off me anytime in the future so I sure as hell wouldn't want to be made to join some club and pay for the priveledge of being a member in order to get my permits. I assume this is NZDA focused?quote]

[/quote]
its happening already, MikeB, and some would argue, has done for many years.

The latest WARO review resulted in probably the biggest loss of WARO free hunting area, that I can recall.
WARO is essential, but not the way DOC is going about it, at present.

There is going to be more of the same, re loss of hunting.

The GAC has a statutory role over herds of special interest, otherwise its an advisory role to the minister for everything else, (I think)

Remains to be seen what they will do about issues they only give advise on. If the minister took notice of them,(and in fact the GAC spoke out for hunters)  then I'd argue that the GAC is the hunters representative.
and happily give $4 to it.

I think there is a difference between an organization like Hitop refers to, and the NZDA. The DA is really a group of clubs.
Not sure they are best placed to be advocates for hunters, even if it is one of their aims.

An organization independent of the many hunting clubs, might be best way to go.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards