Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Crossbow group (Read 2387 times)
Jimmy M
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Crossbow group
Jun 7th, 2015 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Just a quick question. Is there a dedicated crossbow group?

IP Logged

Daazzaa
Just Joined

Re: Crossbow group
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Good question, I hunt with a crossbow also but found it hard to find others to swap ideas with etc. I don't think there is one on here, but very keen to start a thread up.

IP Logged

Jimmy M
Just Joined

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 1:08am
Print Post  
It would seem that there is a bit of a stigma around crossbow use...  a bit of the traditional versus the new some might say?

IP Logged

Daazzaa
Just Joined

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Couldn't agree more with you. A selected few ruin it for the rest of us. I really enjoy hunting with a crossbow and stick to the letter of the law.
Where about's in NZ are you Jimmy M?

IP Logged

Kevin Watson

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 3:41am
Print Post  
The stigma surrounding crossbows in New Zealand has occurred for a number of reasons.

In the "old" days of field archery the was concern a string might break and send a bolt out sideways.
Makes no sense.

Often crossbows were seen to be in the hands of those up to no good. This is when crossbows were basic and not the weapons they are today. Now those who own them are serious about hunting with them.

Their hitting power was deemed to be insufficient for NZ animals. Agin this goes back many, many years.
The modern crossbow (apart from the asian junk) has ample power.

DOC have recognised this and allow crossbow shooters access to their lands.

I was very fortunate as a teenager the local archery club let me shoot there with my crossbow. It didn't take long for me want bows like everyone was using.

I think it is great their are more people out there shooting crossbows.

IP Logged

sticknstring
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 6:05am
Print Post  
There is also the fear of the ability to walk around with them ready to fire, possibly accidentally. Follow the same rules as a firearm, load only when ready to shoot they shouldn't be a problem.

You might have different needs from practice targets to account for the shorter bolts which can be an issue for the clubs etc too.

Just love being in the bush!

IP Logged

Jimmy M
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 8:02am
Print Post  
I am Auckland based Daazzaa.

IP Logged

Jimmy M
Just Joined

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 8:08am
Print Post  
It would seem that a lot of the stigma is either because of old info or dickheads! I would suggest that if your frequenting a fishing and hunting forum your less likely to be a dickhead! I was wondering just how many people hunt with them?
I was side tracked a little while ago and ended up with a fishing kayak...  You can't shoot anything with a kayak! So i am looking at the market and also seeing who is close enough to share a beer and talk me through some finer points of bow hunting.  Before I spend the next mortgage payment!

IP Logged

Daazzaa
Just Joined

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 5:08am
Print Post  
I know my limits as well, my crossbow meets all the legal requirements for NZ law but I only go after small game (Pigs, Goats etc) until I am able and confident enough to move up to the next level. If there is anyone around Canterbury that is keen to catch up for a walk one day PM me.

IP Logged

Jimmy M
Just Joined

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
And that is the attitude we should expect from people in this group. I mean we aren't a bunch of cowboys. Even all those years ago when I had a rifle I know I could hit targets 300 - 400 metres away I didn't because there are a few too many variables which I could not account for and always got closer to make a shot. Did I ever miss? Not when hunting things bigger than a rabbit. Did I always make a clean kill. poor rabbits... but goats, pigs all dropped where I shot them.

As for the safety side of things most if not all crossbows I have seen have an automatic safety which engages when you co*k them and mechanically it is better than the safety on a firearm, however being as mechanical one it may fail, however I have not seen any documented failure of an automatic safety but I stand to be corrected. If you only point your crossbow at things you want to shoot at you should be fine.

IP Logged

FULLDRAW

Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
i for one think this is a growing sport here in nz and would like to see more like minded people and maybe a group dedicated to this side of things... Wink

LIVE LIFE AT FULLDRAW

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #11 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
i'm interested i knowing the in's and out's about cross bows, how close do you you need to be to a deer to enable one to do a effective job in killing the animal

IP Logged

FULLDRAW

Reply #12 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
i find it comes down to the hunter and the situation...i practice a lot at 100 yards so im comfortable at that range,i shoot at coke bottle lids! that doesn't mean i would take that same shot on a deer tho  Wink

LIVE LIFE AT FULLDRAW

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #13 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Was thinking about getting a cross bow as I have a left shoulder problem ,and it gets sore when using a bow but have just read an article and the WA cops have banned them a few years back, Angry

IP Logged

FULLDRAW

Reply #14 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
i started a fb page for xbow enthusiasts so feel free to check it out...crossbows nz! could be a good idea for admin to think about a section for us also Wink Wink Wink

LIVE LIFE AT FULLDRAW

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards