Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic mapspast.org.nz: NZMS260 and 1 inch maps online (Read 4223 times)
madpom

Mad pommy possumer

mapspast.org.nz: NZMS260 and 1 inch maps online
May 16th, 2015 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Sorry for a blatant plug, but old NZMS260 1:50,000 and NZMS1   1 inch maps are now available online at mapspast.org.nz.  A simple map browser letting you flick back to old map editions and see what was there ...

Handy for finding those old hut sites, etc.

Site is at early stages, so comments & suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2015 at 10:50am by Chris B » 
Reason: added link to site 

IP Logged

Raptor
Donor Member

Falcons are Neat

Re: mapspast.org.nz: NZMS260 and 1 inch maps online
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2015 at 7:47am
Print Post  
That's pretty cool - cut my teeth on the 1inch to mile 1969 series amazing how 'much' didn't make it thru to the 1:50,000 series though!

IP Logged

Chris B
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Nice, must have put a bit of work into that madpom. Welcome to the forum.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Brilliant repository of information thanks. Spent an awful lot of time with an inch to the mile map in my  hands back in the day. Some of that North Island high country still has the remnants of the old rabbit fences, which were made from bog pine posts and red beech battens. That Bog pine is fantastic for wood turning. Its NZ's slowest growing podocarp from memory, hence its super fine growth rings. You can only find the stuff if you know where the rabbit fences were.....or have an old map like these that shows where they are Wink Wink Wink As an awful lot of that sort of info never made it onto the newer metric maps Cheesy

IP Logged

Raptor
Donor Member

Falcons are Neat

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Was trying to track down a ‘Vigil Peak’ in Fiordland on the new Topo50 series, (this is a reference for a NZ falcon sighting during the 1949 NZ-American Fiordland Expedition) in the MapToaster software on my computer but came up with nothing! Wasn’t till one searched on Google that this link came up that gave a NZTM reference that shows a Virgil Peak?

http://apps.linz.govt.nz/gdb/index.aspx?nextform=histcrd&histcoordsys=NZGD2000&m...

It is noted previous series of maps (incl the old 1inch to a mile) on your maps show Vigil Peak at this location!

Have asked LINZ to explain - to date (over a week) no reply! Cool

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2015 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Raptor wrote on Jul 10th, 2015 at 5:04pm:
Was trying to track down a ‘Vigil Peak’ in Fiordland on the new Topo50 series, (this is a reference for a NZ falcon sighting during the 1949 NZ-American Fiordland Expedition) in the MapToaster software on my computer but came up with nothing! Wasn’t till one searched on Google that this link came up that gave a NZTM reference that shows a Virgil Peak?

http://apps.linz.govt.nz/gdb/index.aspx?nextform=histcrd&histcoordsys=NZGD2000&m...

It is noted previous series of maps (incl the old 1inch to a mile) on your maps show Vigil Peak at this location!

Have asked LINZ to explain - to date (over a week) no reply! Cool

I used to draw compile maps for LINZ and its previous names and you might find that the peak was a local name which had not been ratified by the Geographic board. Also as far as I am aware LINZ do not produce topo maps anymore and I beleive that they are put together by Terra Link. Never the less you should still expect a reply from LINZ.
I had a look through the old NZMS 1 maps and found the first one I ever drew, N58 Tauranga

IP Logged

madpom

Mad pommy possumer

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 6:07am
Print Post  
Interesting ... the oldest map on the site of that area (Fiordland National Park, 1955) shows it as Virgil, the same as the latest maps.  Just the 50 years in between it's referred to as Vigil!

http://mapspast.org.nz/mapsheet/26/?zoom=13&x=1157479&y=4997708

Sounds like a typo they picked up and fixed ...

IP Logged

Raptor
Donor Member

Falcons are Neat

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Ah yes but the report of the [b]1949[b] NZ - American Fiordland Expedition (published in 1951) states Mt Vigil - so perhaps the 1955 map had a typo?
The plot thickens - still no reply from linz to query! Sad

IP Logged

Raptor
Donor Member

Falcons are Neat

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 5:04am
Print Post  
Well after a little 'prompt' ('tis been two months) finally got a reply today. The correct name is/should be Vigil Peak and not only that the position should be about 500m to the west from where currently shown!
They kindly provided a copy of an old  photogrammetic map made in 1949.
Next edition of Topo50 will be corrected. Smiley

IP Logged

madpom

Mad pommy possumer

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2015 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Well done. Took me 4 years and about 3 rounds of phonecalls to get them to correct the location of Nth Mangahao Biv! Was only when I pursuaded LINZ, DOC and WAMS (who had it in a third, but also wrong location) to all talk to each other it actually finally got put right.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards