Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stu 71 first roar stag almost in his sleeping bag (Read 2261 times)
scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Stu 71 first roar stag almost in his sleeping bag
Apr 8th, 2015 at 10:30am
Print Post  
So myself and Stu71 (and he needs to win this prize) went somewhere up North Canterbury Easter weekend.
Climbed up a valley to camp at bush edge, 1100m up. Day one was a gut buster, food and 5l water each for 4days nearly killed me, I was praying and crawling the last 30m. Don't mind saying I was f44k3d.

Day2 we awoke to NW winds which had battered us all night. His ultralight weight tent just survived with a bent pole. I held mine down most of the night. We ate brekky before sun up to the sweet sounds of moans and roars in the bush  Cheesy

No amount of coaxing would encourage anything towards us, so we went into the bush as the NW brought rain showers. By lunch they had shut up, so we went back to camp for lunch and a snooze with a repitching of the tents. The evening brought the odd moan and occassional roar from a big fella a long way down the valley.

The temp dropped that night, and we awoke to low cloud around us, with frost on the tents. And the odd moan again from that same stag across the valley. As dawn approached we climbed a bit up the ridge. Stu71 stopped on the ridge to be able to see both sides and I climbed another 200 to the top of it so as to be able to scan into the back basin. 30mins later, I was joined by a kea who took a liking to a dead beech beside me. Didn't see any deer, so stood up to head back down. I hadn't moved 10 paces when a hind broke out of the bushline 40m from me, looking surprised at me being there. She barked and pranced off back to where she came.

I dropped another 50m and sat down to radio Stu71 what I'd seen. I could see his blaze hat below me. He told me to get down quick as he thought there was a stag roaring from our camp. Anyone who knows him, will know he is a joker and coffee hound. So I was thinking this is a windup, he's just wanting a flatwhite. The next thing he says, is "gotta get off the radio, there IS a Stag in the camp!" then BOOOM echoes across the valley Cheesy

So I high tailed it down. And came upon him walking up to a stag. It dropped 28m from the tents. If it had walked 6m it would have seen our tents.

He says, the thing was prancing around roaring when he came over the dip, so he whipped open the scope covers and let it fill the crosshairs. It dropped like a stone.

Now after the crafty bugger telling me "don't shoot the small ones, there should be a bigger one hiding nearby", he shot the first one he saw. A lovely symettrical shaped fella. Pity only a 9pt. Missing a trez on one side. Nice colour too.

To top it off, half an hour after deboning the hind qtr, taking fillets and back steaks, I went to the bush edge to wash up and spooked two more hinds about 3m from camp. Shit hot.

We had run out of water, so decided to descend to last water, camp there and have a look for the bush roaring big fella. Somewhere on the way down I scratched my eye (doc says the pupil has a scratch abuot 3mm long), so we decided to call it quits and walk out. Good job too, as that night after we came out, 170mm rain fell in the area and blew out the route we took home.  Cool

stag

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q8aoeimvtt0rnf/P1000069.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2rbo21v1dijpk4/P1000071.JPG?dl=0

Stu with his full pack and head

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5gdwi5bwgl74g22/P1000082.JPG?dl=0

Congrats stu on the first one. Next time, make the coffee first and give me a chance.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

ezdirect.
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Stu 71 first roar stag almost in his sleeping bag
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Excellent Cool

Lovely prose
Quote:
He says, the thing was prancing around roaring when he came over the dip, so he whipped open the scope covers and let it fill the crosshairs. It dropped like a stone.

revertetur firmior    resident camp possum
IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 3:53am
Print Post  
Coolwell done guys, hope your eye heals ok.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 5:14am
Print Post  
Good on ya..  Cool

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Nice  Cool

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Enjoy the coffee Wink guys,well done.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Sunday Isle Mark
Just Joined
Donor Member

the real work starts after
you take the shot :-)

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Well done guys Smiley

IP Logged

Solly
Just Joined

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Great report Smiley

IP Logged

greendog308
Forum Font

Forum Executioner

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2015 at 5:20am
Print Post  
Good story , get well soon Smiley

I LOVE CATS BUT I CAN'T EAT A WHOLE ONE! and, is it wrong to have sex with a poodle more than once?

IP Logged

ghetty

hunting noob, love the
outdoors

Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 4:04am
Print Post  
sounds like a top spot, and a fun trip too. you know what they say " a bird in the bag..." nice quick decision making.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards