Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic ARE GREY DUCKS ON THE INCREASE? (Read 1351 times)
hauraki hunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

ARE GREY DUCKS ON THE INCREASE?
Apr 1st, 2015 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Went too my pond in the kopuatai swamp last night there was a mob of 20 greys on it its the most greys ive ever seen in a mob together last week when we went there was about 70 ducks on it and about a third of thoses were greys. On opening day last year we shot 7 greys and i hadnt shot one for about 3 years before that so im hoping they turn up on opening you can always tell a grey when they just divebomb into your decoys .Has anyone else notice a increase in greys. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

Re: ARE GREY DUCKS ON THE INCREASE?
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
always been greys where i hunt  and lots of x s  maybe the hybrids are turning more back to greys ???

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

stags blood...harts blood...hearts
blood

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Certainly doesn't seem to have been a decline in grey where I shoot from when I was a kid to now-25 years-although I was away for 15 years in the middle.  If anything less pure looking mallards and more hybrids tending grey looking. 

Is it possible HH that in your area the more secretive greys are holding their own by breeding more successfully in their less modified preferred habitat whereas whatever is causing the mallard decline is more obvious in the more modified habitat they seem to prefer or normally outcompete greys in?

On your final day in a single moment all you own you would give for the things, that all your life were free.

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Very steady numbers in Kopuatai for a number of years. They are the only ducks that breed in there and make up a steady 15% of our bag.

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
bullerexpress wrote on Apr 1st, 2015 at 2:10pm:
Certainly doesn't seem to have been a decline in grey where I shoot from when I was a kid to now-25 years-although I was away for 15 years in the middle.  If anything less pure looking mallards and more hybrids tending grey looking. 

Is it possible HH that in your area the more secretive greys are holding their own by breeding more successfully in their less modified preferred habitat whereas whatever is causing the mallard decline is more obvious in the more modified habitat they seem to prefer or normally outcompete greys in?

Your probably  right in all the years ive been on the farm here (48 years) i have never seen a grey duck in the paddocks or my water troughs .I have always knowen that greys are true swamp birds .My father said he saw his first mallard sometime in the early 1950s and didnt know what it was and went home to his father and told him that he had seen a strange duck . Huh

IP Logged

Duckpression

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
yea majority on my pond have been greys,
what does everyone think about shooting greys??????

duck fever: disease duck hunters commonly suffer from during the off season.

IP Logged

remmodel7
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Duckpression wrote on Apr 1st, 2015 at 5:02pm:
yea majority on my pond have been greys,
what does everyone think about shooting greys??????

Where I hunt if we didn't shoot greys we would have nothing to shoot at. Grey ducks make up around 90% of our bag. the rest hybrids. quite rare to get a very pure mallard.

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

stags blood...harts blood...hearts
blood

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Yeah same for us.  I would say only 10% of ducks are apparently 'pure' mallard.  Another 25% obvious hybrids and the rest grey looking with the odd strange feature at times.  I do think grey type ducks do better in our still rather wild landscape compared to more maniucured places like Waikato, Manawatu or a lot of the lowland SI.

On your final day in a single moment all you own you would give for the things, that all your life were free.

IP Logged

Duckpression

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
i guess the buggers are on the hit list!!!!

duck fever: disease duck hunters commonly suffer from during the off season.

IP Logged

swamp rat
Just Joined

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Yea mate Smiley Smiley I shoot in the swamp most of our bags opening was greys.I do think they are increasing .

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards