Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) The thinking hill. (Read 20633 times)
shankspony
Ex Member

The thinking hill.
Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:52am
Print Post  
Hills are great things. They provide perfect places to sit and think. They also seem to help with the clarity of thought. Another thing that helps the process is a good dog. Sitting on a hill with a dog is the best way to get good thoughts. Dogs think well on hills too, so it pays to listen to their opinions while your at it.

Max and me on the thinking hill

My favorite hill is a place I do much thinking. You can sit there in the evening with your dog and watch pigs and deer and sunsets. But not many ducks unless they fly past on their way to wherever they do their  sitting and thinking for the evening.
At the bottom of this hill is a nice little valley, it has a small stream that winds its way through it and a whole heap of swamps and seeps feeding the stream from its sides. Its at the head of the valley, and away from the valley floor its quite steep. While I always enjoy sitting there, sometimes I worry about that valley. In winter it pugs and turns to mud, the swamps are degraded and semi drained. I know why the ducks don't stop here to think.
One day Im sitting on my hill, and I say out loud to Max, my dog, that I need to do something with this valley.
Shanks. Says Max. You need to fence it off and build a pond.
Jeez! says I. You don't half think big Max .
Well, Im a big dog, and I get sick of retrieving those rivers with their blackberry and sticks and fast currents.
What do we need? I ask Max
We need islands, he says
And shallow water, I say.
Somewhere for the ducks to breed, says Max.
And some predator control I add, so they are safe.
They wont be safe from me, say Max.
You're too slow to catch them I tell him.
I would if you could hit them, he retorts.

Anyway I look at the valley and know what needs to be done, but I tell Max Im not sure if I can do it on my own. Its a big, expensive project.
Don't do it on your own he tells me, share the burden, but be prepared to give something in return.
I know he's right. Dogs are good like that.
I already have enough hunting, Im just wanting somewhere for the ducks to be able to sit and think. But there are others who don't have the same advantage as I do, so I decide to approach a couple of people I have met through this site and put together a proposal. They help me and in return they get to build a hunting spot. Max reckons they are good choices because their butts smell good and they can hit the ducks for him to catch.

Once I leave the thinking hill I start walking the valley floor, planing and pacing and counting while Max chases Hares and sniffs things and eats cow shit. I like him more when he's sitting on the hill.
The two courageous souls I approach with the idea are keen.
I need some knowledge, so Forum member Ducknut who has built plenty of wetlands comes out one day and looks over the area and tells me what I need and gives me some water flow ideas. And that's where its currently at. My plan is to have it built over the next summer. I have some hoops to jump through yet. The first will be resource consent, the second will be finding out if I can afford the build. At this stage I think so. Im awaiting a contractor to come quote as I write. As we all go along this road I intend to keep you all informed and show what we do. Im determined to do something, so I have other options up my sleeve if RC or cost make this prohibitive.

Sunset over the valley from the thinking hill

IP Logged

22plinker

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: The thinking hill.
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:03am
Print Post  
Well done and as much as I agree with Max, he's a bit of a smart arse isn't he?

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:10am
Print Post  
Oh don't get me started. Often he'll wander over to a patch of scrub and tell me theres a bird in there. Ill say don't be stupid, come here.He'll then go flush a bird and look at me and say, told you so with a cheeky grin on his face.

IP Logged

workingman
Forum Font

I Love life

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:11am
Print Post  
Look forward to the updates

IP Logged

22plinker

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:13am
Print Post  
workingman wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:11am:
Look forward to the updates

+ 1

IP Logged

MERRITT
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:16am
Print Post  
This will be a good thing to keep an eye on, looking forward to it!

One problem I have s that my dog won't talk to me Cry

IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:22am
Print Post  
Have spent many hours doing the same with my dog, is amazing the wisdom we find in our selves that comes from a dogs eye or wag of a tale.
ps, what a bloody great project Shanks if you think I could help in any way give me a yell

The kill is not the bottom line reason for the hunt, but it cannot be removed from the equation
IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:24am
Print Post  
Take your dog up a hill Merritt. Then just sit and listen.

Im sure There will be plenty of tree planting Ill need a hand with Don.

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

stags blood...harts blood...hearts
blood

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:25am
Print Post  
That will be a pretty grand scale project shanks.  You're a better man than me.  If I had deer on my place the ducks could get buggered and I would be playing around with them instead Grin

Bit beyond anything I have done yet but our place doesn't lend to the same scale nor does my budget at the moment.  But I promise I will put something up that might give you a few ideas....after the roar but Grin  You're probably better getting advice from the dog than me anyway they are usually smarter than people.

I would say though we are gradually taking out those wet puggy shitty areas and when it comes down to it is surprising how little we miss them.  Over the winter they are just a mess and probably the source of 80% of sediment and nutrient runoff and in summer they either don't grow much from being hammered during winter or are liver fluke infested shit holes anyway.  We don't usually need more grass in summer anyhow.  And its bloody good not having to drag wet muddy calves out of them while mums dancing around deciding whether to kill you or not Lips Sealed 

With that I'm off-stags to be killed.

On your final day in a single moment all you own you would give for the things, that all your life were free.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:27am
Print Post  
Buller, you have hit it on the head. So many reasons to do this that make sense. these are the worrys I have carried for some time. So much better to turn it into something beautiful and positive.

IP Logged

saltro
Forum Font

Fur,feather or fins, it's
all good

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 6:10am
Print Post  

You have a wise dog shanks.

Looking forward to following progress.

Cool

I live with fear and danger every day, and in the weekend she sometimes lets me fish and hunt

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 6:11am
Print Post  
Jeez Saltro, dont say that to loud. His head is big enough as it is.

IP Logged

saltro
Forum Font

Fur,feather or fins, it's
all good

Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 6:12am
Print Post  

Grin

I live with fear and danger every day, and in the weekend she sometimes lets me fish and hunt

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 6:26am
Print Post  
I think someone spiked your water tank shanks. You are giving max far to much credit.  Grin

IP Logged

gooseman
Forum Senior

Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 6:36am
Print Post  
Many a great scheme was hatched when sitting and thinking this one looks like it will be a cracker. Thanks for posting a GOOD report  hope Max will help with the digging.

IP Logged

Miggie

Reply #15 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 6:55am
Print Post  
gooseman wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 6:36am:
Many a great scheme was hatched when sitting and thinking this one looks like it will be a cracker. Thanks for posting a GOOD report  hope Max will help with the digging.

Max has the site foreman job already locked in, sorry no digging for him, he has his spot on the hill barking orders.
Jokes aside great plan you have there Shanks good luck with everything.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Miggie, hes just informed me he needs a high vis vest and hard hat. Thanks.

So heres a rough idea of what I hope to achieve, subject to survey.

there are still some areas on the true left that will also be fenced out, and another sediment pond placed on the left as well that I havn't marked out as they will most likely be third year projects as i redefine the paddocks and build new accessways as the main farm track cuts right though the valley floor right now.

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #17 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
May the dreams turn to reality Shanks.

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #18 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
im glad to know im not the only one who has great discussions with dogs Smiley
great thinking spot, everyone should have a thinking spot imo.

IP Logged

CIB

Reply #19 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
This is an awesome thread. A fantastic project and enjoyable story to go with it.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #20 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
QE2 be any help in this Shanks? Have had a good run with them (and F&G) on wetland creation in the past

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
I will definitely be approaching the gamebird habitat trust. What sort of help do QE2 provide? I thought they were mostly about conserving existing resources, not creating new?

IP Logged

paddygonebush

Canterbury University
HUNTSOC

Reply #22 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Brilliant project. Would love to see the progression of it.

assumptions are the mother of all f**k ups

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #23 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Quote:
I will definitely be approaching the gamebird habitat trust. What sort of help do QE2 provide? I thought they were mostly about conserving existing resources, not creating new?

Restoration is part their business too - http://www.openspace.org.nz/includes/download.aspx?ID=127452

Don't know in your case but presume it would have been swampy/boggy before farm development 1st began?

In the case I know of, they paid for a chunk of the boundary fencing, which was a huge help, and have helped with advice on planting and management. I know they are getting more popular so funding will be getting tighter

Personally I really endorse QE2 - the covenant is arguably giving up some property rights but it is protection irrespective of owner, they are a good help, and its a good news story for farming.

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

22plinker

Reply #24 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 10:21am
Print Post  

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Cheers, Some useful info there.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #26 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
CIB wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 10:17pm:
This is an awesome thread. A fantastic project and enjoyable story to go with it.

What that man said sums it up for me. Cool

IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #27 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
That thinking hill is a magnificent thinking hill. I've even thunk there myself a time or 3.

Good luck with the wetland  Cool

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 3:58am
Print Post  
As I think my way through this project, i realise that there is much I can do now that will save time next year. If I put up a new dam wall across this stream, I need it protected from the start. The first new fenceline is about 450 meters in length. Im better off having that completed before this winter sets in so Im not stressing myself next summer. The last week or so has seen me layout and dig in the 12 strainers and run the two guide wires ready for digging in the posts.

Because this is an organic farm, Im not allowed to use treated timber posts, so the whole thing will be done using concrete. With a strainer weighing in excess of 150kg, it teaches you to get the hole pretty well correct first time.
Also the soil here is very thin and gives way to rock very quickly, so I made a decision not to run the bulldozer over the fenceline to cut it straight. Preferring to put in a few more posts and foots rather than have to chip through rock with a crowbar. So far the plan has worked and Ive only needed the bar a few times. It also puts me a day or two ahead and saves me moving a couple of hundred cubes of soil.

I have put a gateway two thirds of the way along the line to allow me to access the wetland from the top side. Im going to start with the long side of this fence first, and have to lay out 70 posts. Then will start the other which will need a further 40.

I have a contracter coming to quote this week, and also will see if there is any pre build work he can do in the next few months that will cut down on time next year as well. Things like access ways and track culverts to make our movements easier over next summer.

IP Logged

MERRITT
Forum Font

Reply #29 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 4:58am
Print Post  
Mmmmmm looking good already! Cool

IP Logged

Stagrinon
Donor Member

No pain No gain.

Reply #30 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Very impressive Plans Shanks. Hope it all comes together.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #31 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 5:13am
Print Post  
I read the opening statement, and wept, tears ran down my cheeks as I respond to the beauty of a hill, a man and a dog.

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

Reply #32 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 6:41am
Print Post  
Sweep and I have spent many a day sitting on hills not far from you bro where the lakes are already in place, the most I ever got from my dog was to shoot them pigs and deer boss  Lips Sealed
I need to go home more.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys. Always nice to know the tone of an idea comes through to others when put in writing.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 5:25am
Print Post  
Theres been a bit of progress with this over the last week. The first fenceline has all its posts in the ground and ready for wires. Im going to leave it like that for now though as I can wire it up once the bad weather starts. Im currently laying out the next line on the far side of the river and will start on that as I get time though the hunting season will slow that somewhat. i had to source more croncrete posts, as by the end of this I will have used 300+, so this week i found and stacked 500, or in other words a full truck and trailer load through trademe and brought them back to the farm.

All ready to go.

I also had the first company come and quote on the earthworks needed to complete the project. It was a third more than I was hoping for which will cause me  to have to rethink how I go about it and my timeline for completion. it will also make external funding more important. I will wait on second company to quote though before I panic too much. Grin
In the end though its a project i beleive in, so i will find a way to do it. My biggest concern is the unknowns like the depth of key needed that can blow out costs, so Im going to plan to do an exploratory dig on the site this year to find where the solid base lies.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
I have just finished putting together my application for funding from the Game bird habitat trust.

Just have to sit back and hope now. It was actually an enjoyable process putting together the information required and not to arduous.
Monday morning first thing I will have it in the post to be there by the end of the month deadline.

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #36 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
awesome project mate. will follow this keenly.
up here our regional council has an "environment fund".
people can apply to it annually for help with all sorts of projects.
they will up to 50% of a project but your 50% can be made of ongoing maintenance of fences etc, planting, spraying, predator control etc etc.
i got help from the fund with fencing off all my native bush and will apply again with a couple of small wetland/dam projects on my place i want to do for my local brown teal.
might be worth seeing if theres a similar thing in your area.

IP Logged

Paul Stenning
Forum Guide
Staff

Does life exist north
of the Mataura?

Reply #37 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Looks like you have a good proposal put together Shanks ..... hope it gets support!
Shame you don't have a reparation scheme up there like we have down here where the money is put into private wetland creation  Sad

Never trust those who do not trust others!

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Are you talking reparation, or mitigation? Reparation is on our radar, as it is with most councils right now. But in all honesty the amount of offenses detected and suitable will probably mean its a token gesture that saves money rather than contribute large scale to projects.

Mitigation is more useful, but its another story.

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

blood

Reply #39 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 1:27am
Print Post  
chris wrote on Jun 20th, 2015 at 8:35pm:
awesome project mate. will follow this keenly.
up here our regional council has an "environment fund".
people can apply to it annually for help with all sorts of projects.
they will up to 50% of a project but your 50% can be made of ongoing maintenance of fences etc, planting, spraying, predator control etc etc.
i got help from the fund with fencing off all my native bush and will apply again with a couple of small wetland/dam projects on my place i want to do for my local brown teal.
might be worth seeing if theres a similar thing in your area.

Yeah Chris I have used it on our place a bit as well.  New funding round has just opened for this year so now is the hour if you want more as it is getting very popular.

Interested to follow your project Shanks. I have been beetling away for the last few weeks here doing various bits and pieces as well.

On your final day in a single moment all you own you would give for the things, that all your life were free.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 5:12am
Print Post  
I hope you share them with us BE, your report last time gave me some great ideas.

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

blood

Reply #41 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Nothing particularly new really Shanks just more planting out little ponds around wet areas. I did finally surrender to convention and plant a few timber belts and a couple of little wood lots in pines  Lips Sealed  Partly because they might be worth something one day and partly because a 30 cent pine tree is cheaper than a native.  I will be coppicing poplars shortly in my nursery and will plant 4 or 500 along some wet fencelines and in ponds and stuff but just more of what I showed before.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 6:43am
Print Post  
Theres actually not much wrong with a bit of pine I reckon. Its great shelter when younger and nothing wrong with earning income from your tree planting. Some of the higher dry ground On this project I intend to plant in pine, Jap ceder or Mac as a future income source for the replacement of the fencing. They may also block the wind sheltering the wetland somewhat.

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #43 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 8:30am
Print Post  
one property i hunt has a good stand of what im told is "lusatanaka" (sp?) a type of mac?? grown for timber.
the pheasants love living in it!

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
The project has slowed now as winter bites in and I find I don't have enough time in the day. I did manage to get another important aspect out of the way though which is a big relief.

On a dam like this you really need to key the way in to the surrounding material. For this you need to find a suitable hard base under the top soil, but not so hard that the key material will just sit on it and allow water to flow between the layers.
I needed to do some testing with a scale penetrometer. This is not something I have laying around as you can imagine. Also you can imagine my delight when a mate showed up to do some hunting, and I spied one in the back of his ute…… What are the odds!
End result after an hour and a bit of work by torch light was I now know I have to key down 2.4 meters from the highest point and 1.7 from the lowest. This is good news as its a risk starting a project like this without knowing. It has the potential to become a bottomless money pit if you cant find a suitable base to build on.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 5:34am
Print Post  
Update time, and im pretty happy after the last few weeks. I have completed all the fencing with the exception of battening. I planned to complete the fence over 2 years, so Im well up.

A week or two ago A mate come out and give me a hand to stick in poplar poles at strategic points which is another big job done. I needed about 150 poles cut and put in.

It will be better to explain why Ive planted them this way once everything is finished.

And then in the last couple of days I have had my current crop of germans, and one Hawaiian out planting the trees I have been growing on on farm. Plus the same mate dropped off 70 salvaged flax plants which also went into a swamp today.

The valley is starting to change by the day. Its great!

IP Logged

workingman
Forum Font

I Love life

Reply #46 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 5:48am
Print Post  
Great stuff Shanks, keep up the good work.

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #47 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Was really impressed last weekend when we went for a look around the other day. Got me quite excited thinking about what it will look like when it's done.
A hell of a lot of work gone into that fencing. (Incase you can't see it people, they are all concrete posts which are hand dug)

Ps, you will have a delivery soon.  Wink

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #48 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 8:47am
Print Post  
looks great.

IP Logged

SEAL2
Just Joined

Reply #49 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Don't forget to apply to the NZ Game Bird Habitat Trust for funding,that's the sort of project that we all pay into with the Habitat Stamp on our licence to fund.Contact your local Fish and Game

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Yep. I submitted an application for funding to NZGBHT. The board came back with some extra questions a week or two ago, which is a good sign in my opinion. Means it didn't get declined on first inspection. Just have to wait until 27th of Aug when they make their decision's.

IP Logged

Craigc
Forum Font

Reply #51 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Protecting and creating wetlands, I can't think of anything better to do. Only 10 percent of our original wetlands are left.

Well done Shanks.

Smiley

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

blood

Reply #52 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
doing poplar poles is a bugger of a job.  Especially the bigger ones.  A mate of mine lets them get big enough to ram in with his tractor.  I have got a few big enough ones I will try after lunch today.

Project looks great Shanks-nothing like changing your landscape.  We missed out on cutting the trees down so putting them back is the only option left.   Wink

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Sep 4th, 2015 at 6:17am
Print Post  
I had some great news yesterday. My application for funding from the Game bird habitat trust was accepted! Im stoked.

IP Logged

Miggie

Reply #54 - Sep 4th, 2015 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Fantastic.

IP Logged

TLB
Forum Senior

Reply #55 - Sep 4th, 2015 at 7:43am
Print Post  
Awesome!

AIM  
IP Logged

BIG RED
Forum Senior

Reply #56 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Nice to see the project coming together and starting to take shape Shanks.

Well done on getting the funding approved.

Win-win.

IP Logged

Paul Stenning
Forum Guide
Staff

Does life exist north
of the Mataura?

Reply #57 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Great news!

Never trust those who do not trust others!

IP Logged

workingman
Forum Font

I Love life

Reply #58 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Excellent! Others must appreciate your vision Smiley

IP Logged

gooseman
Forum Senior

Reply #59 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 8:56am
Print Post  
wow that's great news shankspony every bit helps the cause. Huge job on the fence looks great

IP Logged

Waterfowl Enhancement Trust
Just Joined

Reply #60 - Sep 7th, 2015 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Great news. Just so happens Alan Hammond posted some thoughts on pond design this week on our Facebook page.  Might be worth a read. 

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Sep 7th, 2015 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Yeah, Im following your page for inspiration. Cheers. One of the things Ive been experimenting with over the last year is taking shallow scrapes out of the sandy country close to the river where there is a seep of some sort. They dry up in summer and fill over winter. So far they are very very popular and successful with the ducks.

IP Logged

Mean Gene
Just Joined

I'd rather be hunting
than working

Reply #62 - Sep 7th, 2015 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Everybody needs a place like that.

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

blood

Reply #63 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Quote:
Yeah, Im following your page for inspiration. Cheers. One of the things Ive been experimenting with over the last year is taking shallow scrapes out of the sandy country close to the river where there is a seep of some sort. They dry up in summer and fill over winter. So far they are very very popular and successful with the ducks.

I have done similar shanks in boggy areas where they are more meant to act as sediment traps but ducks use them to feed on as there is lots of overhanging carex and willow weed and breed on them also.  I saw ducklings on one today.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Thats cool BE, mine are too new yet, they dont have the established cover for breeding, but the ducks are sure using them to feed. It will be a highlight for sure when I do see the first clutches.

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

blood

Reply #65 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Yeah cover makes a big difference.  I don't see any mallard ducklings on mystock drinking ponds which have no cover-plenty of parries though.

It has been a revelation how many more ducklings are around on newly fenced or freshly created ponds once a bit of fringing cover appears or is planted.  Predator control and a bit of rough nesting cover around helps but we had that before and still not the ducklings produced.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Sep 12th, 2015 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
It has been a brilliant few days. First the funding, now some freebies.

There is I believe a lesson in this for landowners. If you share your place with others and are willing to provide for resources that they may value, then good things happen that can improve your farm.

So firstly I got a call to say there was 900 trees free and  waiting to be picked up from Auckland. I was up there like a rocket with the ute.

I had to double stack them, but I got the lot on.

Then when I got home I found a package sitting on my floor and a pile of eighty flax bushes sitting by my shed. Santa had been while I was away. Or at least an avid and generous forum reader anyway.

All up some 4000 dollars worth of donations to the project.... and beyond. I have so many trees now, that this week I am going to start new projects that were intended for next year.

As I said, a lesson. This kind of thing doesn't happen unless you give something in return, and what you give doesn't have to cost more than allowing people to use your land in a controlled manor.

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Reply #67 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
That's awesome news shanks...   Cool very cool.. I love ake akes and flaxs planted together... The colours look great.  Primo stuff on the traps as well. Good on those donators.

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

MERRITT
Forum Font

Reply #68 - Sep 14th, 2015 at 8:42am
Print Post  
900 trees, GN Traps and flax...holy smoke!

IP Logged

Big Green
Forum Senior

Identify it then give
it one

Reply #69 - Sep 14th, 2015 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Great result! Cool

I bet your Grandpappy said, "son make your first shot your best one".

IP Logged

Stagrinon
Donor Member

No pain No gain.

Reply #70 - Oct 31st, 2015 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Cranking along nicely,  an inspiration, well done all those involved.

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #71 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Since Shanks disappeared into the interweb wilderness he has passed on the updating of the thread to me.

Nearly a year after the initial post we have reached a big day tomorrow.

The resource consent is being lodged.

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #72 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 8:55am
Print Post  
.Resource consents all ready to be lodged tomorrow.
50 pages of beuracracy and an initial thousand dollar downpayment to do something positive for the environment. Its a sucky system! but one I must work through. I must say that if I didnt have experienced help with this, it would not have got done.

IP Logged

Craigc
Forum Font

Reply #73 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
mick hunter wrote on Jan 27th, 2016 at 8:55am:
.Resource consents all ready to be lodged tomorrow.
50 pages of beuracracy and an initial thousand dollar downpayment to do something positive for the environment. Its a sucky system! but one I must work through. I must say that if I didnt have experienced help with this, it would not have got done.

What would you rather have? A system where John Keys mates can do what ever they want in and around water ways?

Smiley

IP Logged

gooseman
Forum Senior

Reply #74 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Well wish Shanks well for us all will you mick hunter.
Really hope it all comes out of the system with GRANTED on it

IP Logged

matauri
Forum Senior

My son is not better at
hunting than me

Reply #75 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 8:53am
Print Post  
What would you rather have?
I would rather have a system that did not include a bunch of wankers in an office ( who add nothing) stuffing up a good intention. Roll Eyes
JK's mates could not do worse than what we have now, in fact Mickey Mouse and Goofy would be no worse. Angry
The whole consent system stuffs up Environment enhancement. Angry

Phew!!

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #76 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 9:22am
Print Post  
GRANTED

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Reply #77 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
SWEET  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

gooseman
Forum Senior

Reply #78 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Great news!!!

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #79 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Almost done. Dam built. Water flowed out the spillway this afternoon. Tomorrow she will be complete.

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Reply #80 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 9:53am
Print Post  
She's a monster mick.... Looking bloody awesome.

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

MERRITT
Forum Font

Reply #81 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Like that!

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Reply #82 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 6:34am
Print Post  
It looks great,Great work welldone  Wink Wink

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #83 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Done apart from growing some grass.

IP Logged

gooseman
Forum Senior

Reply #84 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 9:36am
Print Post  
That's a credit to Shanks perseverance and foresight to turn that area into something that looks mint.
Hope the ducks adopt it as home

IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

Reply #85 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 1:20am
Print Post  
great job  Cool

IP Logged

Hughesy
Forum Senior

Reply #86 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Any updates on this project? New photos?  Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #87 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
looks awesome. Credit to everyone who contributed.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #88 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Yep!, good onya Shanks,for kicking this project off. ( be great if you could return from the wilderness ?, we miss your interesting posts. )
Big ups to all who were involved with the many stages to reach completion.  Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #89 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Will try and get some photos next weekend.
Couple of weeks ago it looked a bit different to the last pic as the summer grass inside clearly showing the size of the project.
Good numbers of duck have taken up residence. Pigs are bit of a problem, rooting up the place.
Picked up another 1000 mostly Carex grasses, a few cabbage trees, Manuka and ake ake's last weekend. They are not all destined for the wetland but will get spread around a bit.

IP Logged

Hughesy
Forum Senior

Reply #90 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Cant wait to see them

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #91 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Just read this thread thru for the first time. What a wonderful project.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #92 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
pity shanks has left the forum Cry Cry

IP Logged

Hughesy
Forum Senior

Reply #93 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
How this project coming along?

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #94 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Pretty slowly. Little bit more planting done but ,  mostly waiting on plants to grow

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #95 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
I saw Shanks on Toa Hunter and it showed a bit of his project, it looked very very good. Good on Shanks  Cool

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #96 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Had a gawk the other day, it had plenty ducks in residence.  Cool I didn't go too close as there may have been ducklings there too.

IP Logged

Hughesy
Forum Senior

Reply #97 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Photos?
Grin

IP Logged

OWS
Donor Member

Let's get some deer

Reply #98 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
All I'm seeing is photobucket icons instead of photos of what sounds like a great project. Something wrong?

You wot?

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #99 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 8:22am
Print Post  
OWS wrote on Nov 28th, 2017 at 5:54pm:
All I'm seeing is photobucket icons instead of photos of what sounds like a great project. Something wrong?

Go to the top post in the section "photobucket work around for browser" download the app and the pics will appear.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards