Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) The thinking hill. (Read 20635 times)
Stagrinon
Donor Member

No pain No gain.

Re: The thinking hill.
Reply #30 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Very impressive Plans Shanks. Hope it all comes together.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #31 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 5:13am
Print Post  
I read the opening statement, and wept, tears ran down my cheeks as I respond to the beauty of a hill, a man and a dog.

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #32 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 6:41am
Print Post  
Sweep and I have spent many a day sitting on hills not far from you bro where the lakes are already in place, the most I ever got from my dog was to shoot them pigs and deer boss  Lips Sealed
I need to go home more.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys. Always nice to know the tone of an idea comes through to others when put in writing.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 5:25am
Print Post  
Theres been a bit of progress with this over the last week. The first fenceline has all its posts in the ground and ready for wires. Im going to leave it like that for now though as I can wire it up once the bad weather starts. Im currently laying out the next line on the far side of the river and will start on that as I get time though the hunting season will slow that somewhat. i had to source more croncrete posts, as by the end of this I will have used 300+, so this week i found and stacked 500, or in other words a full truck and trailer load through trademe and brought them back to the farm.

All ready to go.

I also had the first company come and quote on the earthworks needed to complete the project. It was a third more than I was hoping for which will cause me  to have to rethink how I go about it and my timeline for completion. it will also make external funding more important. I will wait on second company to quote though before I panic too much. Grin
In the end though its a project i beleive in, so i will find a way to do it. My biggest concern is the unknowns like the depth of key needed that can blow out costs, so Im going to plan to do an exploratory dig on the site this year to find where the solid base lies.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
I have just finished putting together my application for funding from the Game bird habitat trust.

Just have to sit back and hope now. It was actually an enjoyable process putting together the information required and not to arduous.
Monday morning first thing I will have it in the post to be there by the end of the month deadline.

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #36 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
awesome project mate. will follow this keenly.
up here our regional council has an "environment fund".
people can apply to it annually for help with all sorts of projects.
they will up to 50% of a project but your 50% can be made of ongoing maintenance of fences etc, planting, spraying, predator control etc etc.
i got help from the fund with fencing off all my native bush and will apply again with a couple of small wetland/dam projects on my place i want to do for my local brown teal.
might be worth seeing if theres a similar thing in your area.

IP Logged

Paul Stenning
Forum Guide
Staff

Does life exist north
of the Mataura?

Reply #37 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Looks like you have a good proposal put together Shanks ..... hope it gets support!
Shame you don't have a reparation scheme up there like we have down here where the money is put into private wetland creation  Sad

Never trust those who do not trust others!

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Are you talking reparation, or mitigation? Reparation is on our radar, as it is with most councils right now. But in all honesty the amount of offenses detected and suitable will probably mean its a token gesture that saves money rather than contribute large scale to projects.

Mitigation is more useful, but its another story.

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

stags blood...harts blood...hearts
blood

Reply #39 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 1:27am
Print Post  
chris wrote on Jun 20th, 2015 at 8:35pm:
awesome project mate. will follow this keenly.
up here our regional council has an "environment fund".
people can apply to it annually for help with all sorts of projects.
they will up to 50% of a project but your 50% can be made of ongoing maintenance of fences etc, planting, spraying, predator control etc etc.
i got help from the fund with fencing off all my native bush and will apply again with a couple of small wetland/dam projects on my place i want to do for my local brown teal.
might be worth seeing if theres a similar thing in your area.

Yeah Chris I have used it on our place a bit as well.  New funding round has just opened for this year so now is the hour if you want more as it is getting very popular.

Interested to follow your project Shanks. I have been beetling away for the last few weeks here doing various bits and pieces as well.

On your final day in a single moment all you own you would give for the things, that all your life were free.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 5:12am
Print Post  
I hope you share them with us BE, your report last time gave me some great ideas.

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

stags blood...harts blood...hearts
blood

Reply #41 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Nothing particularly new really Shanks just more planting out little ponds around wet areas. I did finally surrender to convention and plant a few timber belts and a couple of little wood lots in pines  Lips Sealed  Partly because they might be worth something one day and partly because a 30 cent pine tree is cheaper than a native.  I will be coppicing poplars shortly in my nursery and will plant 4 or 500 along some wet fencelines and in ponds and stuff but just more of what I showed before.

On your final day in a single moment all you own you would give for the things, that all your life were free.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 6:43am
Print Post  
Theres actually not much wrong with a bit of pine I reckon. Its great shelter when younger and nothing wrong with earning income from your tree planting. Some of the higher dry ground On this project I intend to plant in pine, Jap ceder or Mac as a future income source for the replacement of the fencing. They may also block the wind sheltering the wetland somewhat.

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #43 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 8:30am
Print Post  
one property i hunt has a good stand of what im told is "lusatanaka" (sp?) a type of mac?? grown for timber.
the pheasants love living in it!

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
The project has slowed now as winter bites in and I find I don't have enough time in the day. I did manage to get another important aspect out of the way though which is a big relief.

On a dam like this you really need to key the way in to the surrounding material. For this you need to find a suitable hard base under the top soil, but not so hard that the key material will just sit on it and allow water to flow between the layers.
I needed to do some testing with a scale penetrometer. This is not something I have laying around as you can imagine. Also you can imagine my delight when a mate showed up to do some hunting, and I spied one in the back of his ute…… What are the odds!
End result after an hour and a bit of work by torch light was I now know I have to key down 2.4 meters from the highest point and 1.7 from the lowest. This is good news as its a risk starting a project like this without knowing. It has the potential to become a bottomless money pit if you cant find a suitable base to build on.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards