Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) The thinking hill. (Read 20598 times)
shankspony
Ex Member

The thinking hill.
Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:52am
Print Post  
Hills are great things. They provide perfect places to sit and think. They also seem to help with the clarity of thought. Another thing that helps the process is a good dog. Sitting on a hill with a dog is the best way to get good thoughts. Dogs think well on hills too, so it pays to listen to their opinions while your at it.

Max and me on the thinking hill

My favorite hill is a place I do much thinking. You can sit there in the evening with your dog and watch pigs and deer and sunsets. But not many ducks unless they fly past on their way to wherever they do their  sitting and thinking for the evening.
At the bottom of this hill is a nice little valley, it has a small stream that winds its way through it and a whole heap of swamps and seeps feeding the stream from its sides. Its at the head of the valley, and away from the valley floor its quite steep. While I always enjoy sitting there, sometimes I worry about that valley. In winter it pugs and turns to mud, the swamps are degraded and semi drained. I know why the ducks don't stop here to think.
One day Im sitting on my hill, and I say out loud to Max, my dog, that I need to do something with this valley.
Shanks. Says Max. You need to fence it off and build a pond.
Jeez! says I. You don't half think big Max .
Well, Im a big dog, and I get sick of retrieving those rivers with their blackberry and sticks and fast currents.
What do we need? I ask Max
We need islands, he says
And shallow water, I say.
Somewhere for the ducks to breed, says Max.
And some predator control I add, so they are safe.
They wont be safe from me, say Max.
You're too slow to catch them I tell him.
I would if you could hit them, he retorts.

Anyway I look at the valley and know what needs to be done, but I tell Max Im not sure if I can do it on my own. Its a big, expensive project.
Don't do it on your own he tells me, share the burden, but be prepared to give something in return.
I know he's right. Dogs are good like that.
I already have enough hunting, Im just wanting somewhere for the ducks to be able to sit and think. But there are others who don't have the same advantage as I do, so I decide to approach a couple of people I have met through this site and put together a proposal. They help me and in return they get to build a hunting spot. Max reckons they are good choices because their butts smell good and they can hit the ducks for him to catch.

Once I leave the thinking hill I start walking the valley floor, planing and pacing and counting while Max chases Hares and sniffs things and eats cow shit. I like him more when he's sitting on the hill.
The two courageous souls I approach with the idea are keen.
I need some knowledge, so Forum member Ducknut who has built plenty of wetlands comes out one day and looks over the area and tells me what I need and gives me some water flow ideas. And that's where its currently at. My plan is to have it built over the next summer. I have some hoops to jump through yet. The first will be resource consent, the second will be finding out if I can afford the build. At this stage I think so. Im awaiting a contractor to come quote as I write. As we all go along this road I intend to keep you all informed and show what we do. Im determined to do something, so I have other options up my sleeve if RC or cost make this prohibitive.

Sunset over the valley from the thinking hill

IP Logged

22plinker

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: The thinking hill.
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:03am
Print Post  
Well done and as much as I agree with Max, he's a bit of a smart arse isn't he?

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:10am
Print Post  
Oh don't get me started. Often he'll wander over to a patch of scrub and tell me theres a bird in there. Ill say don't be stupid, come here.He'll then go flush a bird and look at me and say, told you so with a cheeky grin on his face.

IP Logged

workingman
Forum Font

I Love life

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:11am
Print Post  
Look forward to the updates

IP Logged

22plinker

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:13am
Print Post  
workingman wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:11am:
Look forward to the updates

+ 1

IP Logged

MERRITT
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:16am
Print Post  
This will be a good thing to keep an eye on, looking forward to it!

One problem I have s that my dog won't talk to me Cry

IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:22am
Print Post  
Have spent many hours doing the same with my dog, is amazing the wisdom we find in our selves that comes from a dogs eye or wag of a tale.
ps, what a bloody great project Shanks if you think I could help in any way give me a yell

The kill is not the bottom line reason for the hunt, but it cannot be removed from the equation
IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:24am
Print Post  
Take your dog up a hill Merritt. Then just sit and listen.

Im sure There will be plenty of tree planting Ill need a hand with Don.

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

stags blood...harts blood...hearts
blood

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:25am
Print Post  
That will be a pretty grand scale project shanks.  You're a better man than me.  If I had deer on my place the ducks could get buggered and I would be playing around with them instead Grin

Bit beyond anything I have done yet but our place doesn't lend to the same scale nor does my budget at the moment.  But I promise I will put something up that might give you a few ideas....after the roar but Grin  You're probably better getting advice from the dog than me anyway they are usually smarter than people.

I would say though we are gradually taking out those wet puggy shitty areas and when it comes down to it is surprising how little we miss them.  Over the winter they are just a mess and probably the source of 80% of sediment and nutrient runoff and in summer they either don't grow much from being hammered during winter or are liver fluke infested shit holes anyway.  We don't usually need more grass in summer anyhow.  And its bloody good not having to drag wet muddy calves out of them while mums dancing around deciding whether to kill you or not Lips Sealed 

With that I'm off-stags to be killed.

On your final day in a single moment all you own you would give for the things, that all your life were free.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:27am
Print Post  
Buller, you have hit it on the head. So many reasons to do this that make sense. these are the worrys I have carried for some time. So much better to turn it into something beautiful and positive.

IP Logged

saltro
Forum Font

Fur,feather or fins, it's
all good

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 6:10am
Print Post  

You have a wise dog shanks.

Looking forward to following progress.

Cool

I live with fear and danger every day, and in the weekend she sometimes lets me fish and hunt

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 6:11am
Print Post  
Jeez Saltro, dont say that to loud. His head is big enough as it is.

IP Logged

saltro
Forum Font

Fur,feather or fins, it's
all good

Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 6:12am
Print Post  

Grin

I live with fear and danger every day, and in the weekend she sometimes lets me fish and hunt

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 6:26am
Print Post  
I think someone spiked your water tank shanks. You are giving max far to much credit.  Grin

IP Logged

gooseman
Forum Senior

Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 6:36am
Print Post  
Many a great scheme was hatched when sitting and thinking this one looks like it will be a cracker. Thanks for posting a GOOD report  hope Max will help with the digging.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards