Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic DOC hunting blocks & pesticide areas (Read 4540 times)
Maptec
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

DOC hunting blocks & pesticide areas
Mar 12th, 2015 at 4:01am
Print Post  
I am in the process of creating an online interactive map that might be beneficial for any planned hunt. It is still a work in progress but I would appreciate any feedback. The web map is not very optimized so could take a minute or two to start.

The map should work on any system including mobiles. There is also a location function for devices with gps.

Currently contains the following data from DOC; hunting blocks, pesticide areas, pesticide buffer areas, tracks, huts, campsites and carparks. Also has Topo maps and imagery as background.

I hope to fine tune this a bit and possibly turn it into an app.

Thanks

Tom @ Maptec
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2015 at 3:37am by Maptec »  

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: DOC hunting blocks & pesticide areas
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 7:31am
Print Post  
that would be good as current system from Doc is less than ideal.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
certainly looking forward to that

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Maptec
Just Joined

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 2:47am
Print Post  
Finally got new website started. Nothing on the website itself yet but I did the interactive map uploaded and working.
http://maptec.org/Pest/

Anyone on a slow connection might have problems. So I quickly made another map without all the extra stuff, still has the mobile gps capability.
http://maptec.org/PestHunt/

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 3:33am
Print Post  
the links dont work maptec.
i take it the maps are free to download?

IP Logged

Maptec
Just Joined

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 3:46am
Print Post  
chris wrote on Mar 14th, 2015 at 3:33am:
the links dont work maptec.
i take it the maps are free to download?

I'll update the links but they seem to work.

As an interactive webmap there is nothing to download. It is free to view for now. Because it takes about 200 hours to convert and clean all the DOC textual data to mapping format it will not likely be repeated for free.

Most hunters will know where they are going and this will help by letting you know if there are any pesticides in the area. At this time it only covers DOC administered lands for the current pesticide summary period.

The location feature allows use of mobile device for field use. Might need to cache the area on your mobile while using home network, then take it out.

IP Logged

sticknstring
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Looked at doing this myself, glad someone else has taken on the challenge! I couldn't quite find all the info I was after to put it together last time I looked.

The map loads up for me, tracks, huts etc are working but neither the pesticide areas or the hunting blocks show at all.

My one super giant feature request would be some way of showing pesticide work done in the past, so we can check how long ago an area was bombed. I'm not sure if you can get this info but could start collating it now I guess?

Keep up the good work Smiley

Just love being in the bush!

IP Logged

sticknstring
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Maptec wrote on Mar 14th, 2015 at 3:46am:
Because it takes about 200 hours to convert and clean all the DOC textual data to mapping forma...

Oh my, you did it that way Grin

Just an addition to the above, the pesticide areas work fine on the mobile version, but not the other one.

IP Logged

Maptec
Just Joined

Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
sticknstring wrote on Mar 16th, 2015 at 9:45am:
Looked at doing this myself, glad someone else has taken on the challenge! I couldn't quite find all the info I was after to put it together last time I looked.

The map loads up for me, tracks, huts etc are working but neither the pesticide areas or the hunting blocks show at all.

My one super giant feature request would be some way of showing pesticide work done in the past, so we can check how long ago an area was bombed. I'm not sure if you can get this info but could start collating it now I guess?

Keep up the good work Smiley

The map was working initially but something broke. I have made a quick fix so it is working again.

Getting the spatial data from DOC is a challenge. The DOC staff just refuse all requests.

In 2011 DOC guaranteed cabinet they would release pesticide spatial data in 2011 for free. 4 years later and still no data. When I queried the minister's office about this the response I got was alarming, DOC want me to pay them $1250, for free data! No thanks.

It would be useful to get historical data. Could be used for a variety of analysis. Not holding much hope they will release it, they may not even keep it.

The group 0-3 pesticides, including 1080, will not be present after just a few months and a bit of rain. But the Group 4 pesticides are very different and very toxic. They can remain for years and also accumulate in the animals. DOC say they are mainly used on offshore islands but their data shows that not to be the case.

IP Logged

sticknstring
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Maptec wrote on Mar 16th, 2015 at 7:14pm:
Getting the spatial data from DOC is a challenge. The DOC staff just refuse all requests.

Yeah I got silence as well. I hope you truck on with this it could be a very useful tool Smiley

IP Logged

Maptec
Just Joined

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2015 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
The national pesticide maps I posted a few months ago are now expired so are offline.

DOC still refuse to make the data freely available so no further updates will be created.

I have created a new hunting map for Te Urewera, including pesticides, which should be online soon at the Tuhoe website.

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Hunting anywhere and everywhere

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Hey mate, try an OIA "official information act" request. That should get you a better response.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards