Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic advice on whitening up old skull caps?? (Read 6985 times)
SCHMIDTa

Re: advice on whitening up old skull caps??
Reply #15 - Jul 11th, 2015 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
A few years ago while out with a mate Sambar hunting, he shot a nice stag. Having never shot one before, he didn't really know what to do with it so hung it in a tree. After 3 years of seeing it hanging up and going to waste, I offered to clean it up for him. It was probably more for my own benefit really, as I hate to see heads left to be destroyed over time by U.V light and the rain. Not to mention the horrible sight of sun bleached antlers!!! Cry

Anyway thankfully he had hung it in a good shady spot, and the antlers were still a good colour, aside from a green lichen that had started to grow on them.

I sat it in a trough for 2 days prior to working on it, so the thick, dried out skin was semi-workable. Luckily, most of the flesh had rotted away, leaving only small areas stinky. There were also many kinds of crawlies nesting inside the head, including ants, flatworms and beetles.

A couple of teeth had dropped out, and one cheekbone had crumbled away a little, leaving a chalky cavity.... Adding to my hate for neglected heads. Angry

Before:

After removing the skin and majority of rotting flesh:

After a gentle waterblast, as well as scrubbing the antlers clean:

And after a light treatment of peroxide, the finished product:

Gave him an unofficial Douglas score also, where he finished up with a score of 188 3/8.

All I can say is I hope he appreciates it, and I better not see it outside!!! Undecided

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #16 - Jul 11th, 2015 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
nice work. like you i also hate seeing neglected heads rotting away Cry

IP Logged

Speill

The FishNhunt Forum rocks

Reply #17 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Question, for those using acetone to degrease (to get that bone white look) before you hydrogen peroxide are you using full strength acetone or diluting - and if it's diluted, what strength are you going with?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards