Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Taming wild goats (Read 5529 times)
Willie_the_Waiter

Taming wild goats
Jan 13th, 2015 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Hey all, this post is a bit off topic but I have ended up with two goats for the purpose of eating down a strip of grass along our driveway. They are wild as hell at the moment. Im guessing over time the will settle down a little but has anybody got any tips for taming feral goats.
All feedback appreciated, cheers.

IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

We interrupt this marriage
for hunting season.

Re: Taming wild goats
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2015 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
I find a small lead injection just behind the ear should calm them down a bit. Then just mow round them.

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

Willie_the_Waiter

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2015 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Kersh wrote on Jan 13th, 2015 at 12:56pm:
I find a small lead injection just behind the ear should calm them down a bit. Then just mow round them.

I do a pretty mean goat vindaloo!  Grin

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2015 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
a third calm animal should help..even a silly baa baa will improve things as the goats should see the lack of reaction by sheep or other goat and take que from there.

IP Logged

SneakySambar
Donor Member

155gr Amax

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
I caught my billy when he was still on teat. So dont know how much help I can be. I reckon feeding them something they normally cant get at each time you go check on them will help. Fruit or some tomatos or coprosma that seems to  get my one going.  Grin

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 8:35am
Print Post  
if you want to tame feral goats, best to get them as a young kid and bottle feed them, they make great pets.

Adult feral goats don't usually tame up to well and do poorly on grass alone, they need to browse scrub and other palatable tree species to maintain condition, domestic goat will do ok on pasture and cereal feed if chained

I have had adult feral goats at home, poor buggers just waste away and fret, feral kids raised and bottle feed have done very well and are great at keeping the long grass sorted. Make sure they have a good dry camp, water and good strong chain (as they give them a good workout)

hot barrels

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
www.instagram.com/trusty_222/
IP Logged

Yukon_NZ
Donor Member

I love huntin', fishin',
and quality toys.

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Goats make wonderful pets, however, if its a billy, they have to have their nuts removed.

I was out goat shooting with my 4 year old son, back in 1998. The block I shot was mainly forestry, and we would drive to known vantage points, stop the vehicle, walk a few metres, and peep over the road edge, where mobs of goats could be spotted in clearings.

One day, as we were driving along, I spotted this small black shape laying by the side of the track, I stopped the car and investigated. It was a small black and white goat, maybe only a few week old, sleeping peacefully by itself. It awoke when I picked it up and whilst I was pondering its fate, my son pleaded with me to take it home. My son called this little billygoat Tuffy.

Tuffy responded well to bottle feeding, and soon had the run of my rather overgrown section. He became very popular with my neighbours because our boundaries were defined by native trees and bushes, and no fence, and as Tuffy's food requirements increased, he would wonder onto their sections, and keep the undergrowth in check.† He would come when called, and he would prance around when we ran and played with him. So cute.

Unfortunatley, Tuffy grew up. He became more aggressive, but the worst of all he became a sexual devient. Our cute little goat was no longer a cute little goat, but the type of animal that would butt quite firmly, and to cap it all, would stand in the open, sucking itself off, and ejaculating over its own snout. Not really the type of thing that people like their children to witness.

Things got really bad one day. I happened to look out of my window, and I could see that my neighbour, an elderly gentleman, was bending down in his garden working on something. Tuffy was slowly approaching him from behind, which I didn't really think anything of, until it happened.

In a flash, Tuffy ran up, butted him in the rear end, sending him head over heals. If that wasn't bad enough, whilst my shocked neighbour was trying to get up, and now facing Tuffy, Tuffy began to shag my neighbour's face whilst the helpless neighbour was still sitting on the ground in a startled state. I don't know how Tuffy managed it, but he seemed to be able to ejaculate at the drop of a hat, and unfortunately for my neighbour, he copped this right in the face. When Tuffy had finished emptying his sack (mercifully quickly), he walked off and started feeding as if nothing had happened.

To say that I felt embarraced about this, is a bit of an understatement. This was beyond embarracement. This was the next level up.

There were other instances when Tuffy got me into trouble, and I had to let him go.
Cry

I'll save the story about Groucho, our little feral pig, for another time† Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2015 at 12:13pm by Yukon_NZ »  
IP Logged

El Jorge
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
You owe me a new keyboard Yukon, just spat coffee all over this one laughing!

IP Logged

pennyless

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Better than some of the jokes. Butt butt. Grin

IP Logged

sticknstring
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Grin

Waiting to hear about about the pig now...

Just love being in the bush!

IP Logged

workingman
Forum Font

I Love life

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yukon_NZ
Donor Member

I love huntin', fishin',
and quality toys.

New Zealand
Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 12:46pm Alert Board Moderator about this Post! Quote  Goats make wonderful pets, however, if its a billy, they have to have their nuts removed.

I was out goat shooting with my 4 year old son, back in 1998. The block I shot was mainly forestry, and we would drive to known vantage points, stop the vehicle, walk a few metres, and peep over the road edge, where mobs of goats could be spotted in clearings.

One day, as we were driving along, I spotted this small black shape laying by the side of the track, I stopped the car and investigated. It was a small black and white goat, maybe only a few week old, sleeping peacefully by itself. It awoke when I picked it up and whilst I was pondering its fate, my son pleaded with me to take it home. My son called this little billygoat Tuffy.

Tuffy responded well to bottle feeding, and soon had the run of my rather overgrown section. He became very popular with my neighbours because our boundaries were defined by native trees and bushes, and no fence, and as Tuffy's food requirements increased, he would wonder onto their sections, and keep the undergrowth in check.  He would come when called, and he would prance around when we ran and played with him. So cute.

Unfortunatley, Tuffy grew up. He became more aggressive, but the worst of all he became a sexual devient. Our cute little goat was no longer a cute little goat, but the type of animal that would butt quite firmly, and to cap it all, would stand in the open, sucking itself off, and ejaculating over its own snout. Not really the type of thing that people like their children to witness.

Things got really bad one day. I happened to look out of my window, and I could see that my neighbour, an elderly gentleman, was bending down in his garden working on something. Tuffy was slowly approaching him from behind, which I didn't really think anything of, until it happened.

In a flash, Tuffy ran up, butted him in the rear end, sending him head over heals. If that wasn't bad enough, whilst my shocked neighbour was trying to get up, and now facing Tuffy, Tuffy began to shag my neighbour's face whilst the helpless neighbour was still sitting on the ground in a startled state. I don't know how Tuffy managed it, but he seemed to be able to ejaculate at the drop of a hat, and unfortunately for my neighbour, he copped this right in the face. When Tuffy had finished emptying his sack (mercifully quickly), he walked off and started feeding as if nothing had happened.

To say that I felt embarraced about this, is a bit of an understatement. This was beyond embarracement. This was the next level up.

There were other instances when Tuffy got me into trouble, and I had to let him go.
Cry

I'll save the story about Groucho, our little feral pig, for another time  Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Don't leave us hanging with the story about the pig Wink

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Brilliant.... Tell us about the pig!

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2015 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Good story mate. Cheers  Smiley

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2015 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
May be a bit late to be useful to you WtheW but something from my experience
In the goat boom years - we got started about 1985 when any doe goat was valuable
We bought does by the truckload from the Gisborne region down to Palmy - sorted out good does and sold on the ones we didnít want for a very healthy profit - there was a huge demand
Gave them a drug to abort them and started the process of hand feeding to quieten them down - amazing how quickly they respond to humans and how fast they learn to become farm animals
Mated them to a purebred Angora buck and we were in the goat breeding business - first cross kids were pure white and classed as G4s - four more crosses to purebred
We put many years into goats - Angora, Cashgora and Boers - before it collapsed

Feral goats straight off the truck -

Couple of months later - my one year old son - on our block just above intersection of Pahiatua Track -

IP Logged

trip
Donor Member

7mm08 Tika T3

Reply #14 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Cool stuff Cruz

I SWEAR IT WAS THIS BIG.......YEAH RIGHT!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards