Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lab with sore front leg (Read 1327 times)
VTR
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Lab with sore front leg
Jan 11th, 2015 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Hi Guys,
On Friday afternoon I was out for a walk with the dog and he had a tumble coming off a steep bit of country in the dark and has done something to the joint above his front right paw. It is a bit swollen and he is limping.
Yesterday it was worse than today, and he can walk and put weight on it. It seems after he has lied down, the first few seconds he limps then is OK again. But it is noticeably swollen, although not as bad as morning after.
Basically I have left him to relax in the kennel, and put ice on it once in a while. What are the thoughts on how t handle this one. Im a relatively inexperiecnced dog owner, and he is only 2 years old and coming along great on the deer.
Any help much appreciated!

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Lab with sore front leg
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2015 at 5:10am
Print Post  
untill Ethos chimes in with some vet talk I will just suggest if you arent going to take him to your vet to keep him as rested as possible and play wait n see game.
if dog is happy to walk on it it cant be too bad as I know mine are happy to play sook and ham it up for attention even after hurt has gone Roll Eyes
does he jump/growl/yelp if you move paw/toes????
if so maybe a broken toe???

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2015 at 9:46am
Print Post  
It should have a vet visit VTR, it will need a good wiggle and maybe an xray. A strain or sprain (torn ligament) is possible but could be damage to a bone near the joint. Like Mickey Duck says, confine him (stay in kennel, lead walk to toilet) until you can get him looked at.
Lower grade strain may respond to the right anti inflammatory but more serious damage might need bandaging, splinting or even surgery.
Fingers crossed its not too serious.

IP Logged

VTR
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 6:41am
Print Post  
Hi Ethos

Thanks for that. I took him to the Vet yesterday after 2 days of little improvement, and he had an xray. No bone damage, but possibly torn or damaged ligaments. I have some anti-inflamatorys, and keeping him resting etc.
Thanks for the advise! Bang on!

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 7:54am
Print Post  
my pup has limped on 3 of 4 legs this week, all at different times. All after walking on grass. found it was prickels. Tonight as soon as he did it i stopped him inspected paws, and sure enough a prickle in his paw.Pulled out and walking as per normal.

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 6:42am
Print Post  
Cheers VTR, no worries

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards