Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Help! - Savage 7mm-08 (Read 5766 times)
-Camo-
Donor

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Help! - Savage 7mm-08
Reply #15 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Walker wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 12:36pm:
Cammo, which model savage? if its a plastic non- aculock stock then it will need bedding as they flex badly. There are lots of how to fix on the net, it doesn't take much money or time and saves a heap of aggravation. Tightening the action screws without proper bedding will distort the action resulting in shotgun patterns.

It says model 16 on the barrel. It has a plastic stock and accu-trigger.

Come to think of it I have taken the stock off a couple of times to clean it and get all the shit out from under the barrel.

Can you enlighten me a little bit more about this issue Walker?

IP Logged

Corey Parker
Donor Member

Reply #16 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Richard Wilhelm does house loads for these. I was paying $40 for a packet. He uses Remington cases and hornady projectiles. I only used these and was getting sub Moa groups at 100m. Just my experience when I owned this rifle.

One KNHNTR. Any day on the hill beats a day in the office.

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #17 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 8:43pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

High country boy
Donor Member

Reply #18 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I had one and I found it useless and  could barely hit anything . The rifle put me off the 708 caliber altogether. If it's the one I had sell it in my opinion

IP Logged

Walker
Donor Member

Yum T-rex

Reply #19 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
watch this and it will give the idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjkN0pU8dh0
Also google rifle bedding, there is a number of tutorials on how to do it.
Good actions and barrels stuck in a poxy plastic excuse for a stock.

Just do it

IP Logged

Duck Gunner
Global Forum Guide

www.FishNhunt.co.nz

Reply #20 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Hard case, i have never seen a savage shoot that bad, most of them shoot at least moa if not better.  something doesnt sound right for it to be shooting 4"

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #21 - Dec 28th, 2014 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Roll Eyeshow many times does a fella have to suggest option that may be issue Roll Eyes before you confirm you have checked screws..ALL OF THEM.
over 35 years of shooting Ive seen it be issue so many times its not funny.
nephew bought 7mm/08 that was loose all over and after proper tighten up it was tack driver.
incorrect retightening of action screws has always been an issue even back in SMLE times.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #22 - Dec 28th, 2014 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
-Camo- wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 11:02am:
Micky Duck wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 7:43am:
highland is still around, have a look in the likes of Wrightsons.
double check the screws etc.
the deer you missed were how far away????
from my 30+ years of hunting MOST bush shots are well under 50yards so 4" at 100 = 2" at the most at that range so not an issue. 4" at 100= 6" at 150 so still a kill shot if you do your part and are putting Xhairs on hillar area.
double check screws
having established you dont reload....and are not getting best grouping at 100...I assume you havent tried out any further so amount of bullet drop will be by guess or golly at 250yards....possible reason for misses????
what height you sight in at can have a big impact on impact too.
check tightness of screws
and finally check tightness of screws

1 x Stag neck shot at 100m crouching
1 x Pig shoulder shot at 169m lying down
1 x Hind Shoulder shot (top half) at 30m standing - Likely to be a combo of human error because she was onto me and I was rushed (but 30m!!)

ok I will guess you are sighted in 3" high at 100yards??? spot on at 25-26yards and back on 200ish and tad low 250ish and getting to need holdover 300ish Wink
I will bet Aunties left one that MOST  people on here have missed animal at 30 yards before Grin I KNOW I have more than......I care to admit Embarrassed
going on the ranges/animal size you have quoted above the group sizes you have said you are getting would have still hit animal...even pig at 170ish the group should have been less than 8" which covers vitals with wee bit to spare.
at 100 meters I PERSONALLY  wouldnt muck around trying to neck shoot if at all not 120% sure of hitting mark..the shoulder/hillar area gives soo much more room for error and wont stuff much meat and what is with "crouching"???? its not a stable position at all. prone then sitting elbows on knees then kneeling then standing are the normal accepted positions to fire from in order of steadiness.
cammo seems to have given you huge clue as to pattern issues. if you need to take rifle apart to get leaves n crap out of barrel channel
A# its not free floated enough
B# make plurry sure it goes back together with tension done right and re check at range before shooting game.
hope my ramblings make sense and you can get to bottom of issue, been there done that and know how frustrating it can be.

IP Logged

gadgetman
Donor Member

Slow down, I'm getting
there!

Reply #23 - Dec 30th, 2014 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Duck Gunner wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:28pm:
Hard case, i have never seen a savage shoot that bad, most of them shoot at least moa if not better.  something doesnt sound right for it to be shooting 4"

+1

I've got a few Savages and they all shoot sub MOA. All but one are second hand, and two have the flimsy non accustock and still shoot 15-20mm 3 shot groups at 100m. Groups improved on the second hand ones after giving the barrels a good clean with both powder and copper remover and checking all the screws.

Something sounds very wrong with 4" groups from a Savage. I have a Zastava that was similar and after putting a suppressor on it the 3 shot groups dropped down to 11-13mm at 100m.

If you don't know what you're doing, how will you know when you've finished it?

IP Logged

Nick-D
Donor Member

Reply #24 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
gadgetman wrote on Dec 30th, 2014 at 3:18pm:
Duck Gunner wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:28pm:

+1

I've got a few Savages and they all shoot sub MOA. All but one are second hand, and two have the flimsy non accustock and still shoot 15-20mm 3 shot groups at 100m. Groups improved on the second hand ones after giving the barrels a good clean with both powder and copper remover and checking all the screws.

Something sounds very wrong with 4" groups from a Savage. I have a Zastava that was similar and after putting a suppressor on it the 3 shot groups dropped down to 11-13mm at 100m.

Yep they have an excellent reputation as one of the most accurate factory rifles. Even the cheapy axis shoots much better than what this sounds like. Sounds like a dud.

Could it be the glass? jumping zero or dodgy ret. Have you tried another scope? Checked the bases are tight as well as the rings? Have read stories of issues with bases on the trophy hunter packages

IP Logged

-Camo-
Donor

Reply #25 - Jan 5th, 2015 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Quote:
I PERSONALLY  wouldnt muck around trying to neck shoot if at all not 120% sure of hitting mark..the shoulder/hillar area gives soo much more room for error and wont stuff much meat

When the neck and the head is all you have to line up on for your first redskin (and stag) what would you do?

Quote:
and what is with "crouching"???? its not a stable position at all. prone then sitting elbows on knees then kneeling then standing are the normal accepted positions to fire from in order of steadiness.

Maybe when you are standing on flat ground at the range. Crouching is the only option when there is a drop infront of you and behind and the recoil might just be enough throw you off balance and send you for a hell of a tumble  Grin

Quote:
cammo seems to have given you huge clue as to pattern issues. if you need to take rifle apart to get leaves n crap out of barrel channel
A# its not free floated enough
B# make plurry sure it goes back together with tension done right and re check at range before shooting game.
hope my ramblings make sense and you can get to bottom of issue, been there done that and know how frustrating it can be.

Yea, bloody frustrating. I've got few things to try now before I go out to the range. Since some of you guys on here think that the savages aren't too bad I won't give up on this rifle just yet.

Cheers,

Cam

IP Logged

ezdirect.
Forum Font

Reply #26 - Jan 5th, 2015 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Can these be head spaced as they have a nut on them for it. Just one more thing from a raft of other possibilities.
Sounds like others are getting better at 120gns.
Some nice videos for fixing the flex that plus hand loading should get it hunting.
Fiddling always seems to get results. pain in the arse but also quite satisfying finding the cure.

revertetur firmior    resident camp possum
IP Logged

ryansonghurst
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
yes maybe it would be a good idea to have the headspace checked. I have never seen it on a 110/116 but have heard of a couple of axis model rifles that needed to be tweaked a bit and then shot really well, mate bought a brand new axis in 223 and it was all over the show and misfired a lot before this issue was discovered, now it shoots like a laser, pretty impressive for a cheap rifle

IP Logged

Goodog
Just Joined

6 weeks on 6 weeks off

Reply #28 - May 12th, 2019 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
I have a Savage light weight hunter in .308 1:10 twist, I was really struggling with stringing with 150gr ammo & mistakenly got some 165gr Fiocchi & things settled down, just seems to like a heavier grain. My Savage weather warrior .223 likes the heavier 69gr  over the 55gr so might be worth trying something heavier & both rifles like Fiocchi ammo.

IP Logged

Goodog
Just Joined

6 weeks on 6 weeks off

Reply #29 - Sep 21st, 2019 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
I have a savage light weight hunter in 308 it has a 1:10 twist and I couldn't get it to shoot 150gr in any make of ammo I put 165gr & away it went shooting very well, I also have a Savage Weather Warrior in 223 shoots 55gr ok but 69gr better, both rifles like Fiocchi & heavier grain projectiles. My 2 cents, hope it helps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards