Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Haka Valley Wallabies (Read 1043 times)
Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Haka Valley Wallabies
Nov 28th, 2014 at 8:17am
Print Post  
I have heard discussion on the eating of wallaby meat.  Are wallabies susceptible to parasites and is the meat safe to eat semi raw or does it need a lot of heat when cooking?

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Re: Haka Valley Wallabies
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2014 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Hi weathered,
Wallabies are quite prone to gastointestinal parasitism eg: if gutted cleanly most will be fine.

In Australia some species of wildlife, including wallabies have also been show to carry trichinella a muscle parasite that theoretically humans may catch by eating under cooked meat.(not common in pork here but one reason to cook pork well)
I am not aware of diagnosed cases in NZ attributed to eating wallabies from here. (One case in a kiwi woman blamed on eating wallaby in Tassie)  Tasmania is the only state Im aware of with trichinella endemic in the wildlife.
I note that wallabies are also significant carriers of toxoplasma in Australia.

Ive eaten a few kangaroo steaks medium rare and it didnt do me no harm but if in doubt cook it well anyway.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2014 at 5:35am
Print Post  
tails make an awesome stew/casserole, tried as a roast and found it very bland..less taste than lamb and as no fat at all quite dry..steak was ok but nothing to rave over...personally would rate hare higher Wink

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2014 at 5:48am
Print Post  
Heard others say its very tasty..

Quite a bit is used in pet food, and Premium Game is processing it for human consumption.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

yogi
Donor Member

Patience, persistence
and perseverance

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2014 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Does the raw wallaby pose any issues for feeding to cats?
I feed quite a lot of wallaby to our cats and haven't had any problems.

Just got to keep on chipping away!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards