Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic dog grazes like a cow... (Read 1535 times)
Slayer
Donor Member

dog grazes like a cow...
Nov 16th, 2014 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
My 2.5 year-old lab/springer cross bitch seems to need to eat a lot of grass. She gets out of her kennel and grazes like a cow.
A few weeks ago it got so bad that I took her to the vet who found my dog completely stuffed with grass from front to back. She was also running a temperature. Later 'inquiries' revealed that she got into the sleepout and ate my nephew's toothpaste and a packet of dried mangoes.. Shocked

I put the dog on a special diet (some fancy low fat can from the vet) for 3 days plus antibiotics and she came right.

Yesterday after s short hunt I feed her the best part of a bunny and today she seems a bit out of sorts.

Could she still suffer from eating the toothpaste/mango bag? We never found the evidence..
What amount of grazing is normal?

Political correctness is a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Re: dog grazes like a cow...
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2014 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Id have expected her to be a bit queasy after eating the toothpaste but should be right by now if it was weeks ago.
Ditto the mango bag - if a dog fully blocks up you will usually see them become unwell and start to vomit within a day or two , if a bag only partly obstructed the gut its harder to pick except with xrays.
Dogs vary a lot with eating grass, some will do it when they are sick but others do it as a bit of a habit, our dog ate a fair bit of grass since he was a pup, never had a problem.

IP Logged

Slayer
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply ethos!
She looks alright now and I guess the grass eating thing could be part of a habit she developed.

How do you feel about adding/supplementing the dog's diet ie with some part of a bunny when we can get them?
Do I need to add anything to our current dog food (Purina dog chow) or need to change to another brand altogether? I sometimes think that she is lacking something as my dad always added vegies, calcium, eggs, etc....But that was years ago on a different continent...

Political correctness is a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Im sure game meat is good for them and that would include rabbit, Id just be careful of the splintery leg bones.
Your safest bet is to base the diet around a good brand of dog biscuits- the better brands are fully balanced, and add some game meat in for extra protein if working hard.

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
my dogs eat a lot more grass when i feed bones in their diet.
they often vomit after eating grass and there is often small bits of bone in it.

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2014 at 12:46am
Print Post  
chris wrote on Nov 19th, 2014 at 7:27pm:
they often vomit after eating grass and there is often small bits of bone in it.

Sure its not ambergris?  Wink

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2014 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Max wrote on Dec 1st, 2014 at 12:46am:
chris wrote on Nov 19th, 2014 at 7:27pm:

Sure its not ambergris?  Wink

Grin Grin i wish! spent hours looking for that stuff and never found any. mates found a bit though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards